Matt's MP3DP Repeat Build

You need a little, keeps things from breaking.

Hello @MattMed! Thank you for sharing your MP3DP v3 and v4 build journeys.

Looks like you have 200 x 200 x 200 usable area? Curious what bed material and bed heater you’re using, happy with your setup? Cheers!

I am quite happy with my build, yes! Still working through a few issues that I have come across recently, but I have plenty of successful print hours logged on this machine.

Here is the heater I am using:

My machine is running 12V so this would not work if you are running 24V. You can find different build plates just like this though.

On top of the heated plate I have the Fula-Flex 2.0 Magnetic PEI Sheet for my actual print surface. I have been very happy with the PEI sheet so far.

1 Like

Well then…

I originally had a foam square sandwiched under my bed to help keep it warm but doing that made it so that there was no rigid way to bolt it down. I could tighten each corner of the bed separately and squish the foam more and more in each corner. So there was no way to guarantee that each corner was at the same height.

SO, I put these spacers on each M3 bolt that holds the bed down. This should guarantee that each corner is at the same height. Atleast I thought.

I also did the test with the bed at 70C.

The front corners seem perfect. But the back corners are definitely bad.

Maybe it is the umbilical cord? Think it could push and pull on the print head? Hard to believe it would be pushing and pulling that much.

You can’t rigidly mount a heated bed, they expand and contract. You need some sort of give somewhere or it will bulge up or down.

1 Like

Can’t tell how thick your Alu bed is, 1/8"? Seen bunch of builds using 1/4" thick, which seemed oversized to ignorant me (e.g. my ender 3 310x310 bed has 4mm glass, 3mm Alu), but maybe 1/4" helps/needed?

It is a 1/8" thick bed. I could see 1/4" keeping its shape better for sure.