LR3 - France - MKS TinyBee / FluidNC - Side-mounted Y belt

First cut… a bit earlier than expected…

I needed to make a slot for a sliding door and didn’t have the router readily mounted under the workbench…
On the other hand, the LR3 was waiting for its first cut, so…

Had a few hipcups during the cut, mainly th X axis deflecting when entering the wood…
Shall I augment the vref on the X driver?

4 Likes

Does a laser crown count as a crown? :slight_smile:

Or maybe a hardboard one? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Those cuts, especially that top one, that is AWESOME, i am sorry if it is above and I did not see it, but what laser are you using?

I’m using a 80W (10W optical) laser module from LaserTree

It’s been working quite nicely so far, altough cutting anything thicker than 5mm is still a bit hard (massive scorching)
Right now it’s cutting the struts for the LR3 :slight_smile:

(didn’t plug the air assist at first, hence the burning marks at some points)

I designed a daughter board mount for the adapter board to fit inside the case - under the MKS TinyBee, I can share this if anyone is interested

Same for the laser mount I designed…
https://www.printables.com/fr/model/524247-lowrider-3-cnc-laser-mount-for-makita-holder

4 Likes

Wow, interesting, thank you! Not too bad of price either.

you know, at that point, if it cuts that much, I wonder how big you could make a mpcnc. It just needs to be repeatable, not rigid! The router bucking really would give it grief, but without that, hmmm.

1 Like

I’ve been looking at “giant” laser cutter builds, there are some interesting alternatives out there (eg Rolling Plotter build), but the LR3 form factor for large cutting area yet small footprint and easy storeaway is pretty unique

But yeah, for my use, maybe a big co2 laser would be more adapted…
I had some thought about this, considering a simplified fixed height lowrider (Lowrider with fixed Z?)

Don’t know if anyone has done a CO2 laser LR3 yet… I know there was at least one CO2 LR2 though…

1 Like

Cutting the struts…

5 Likes

Painted and installed the struts

Still abit of troubleshooting to do, I have a few spots where the rail hits…

5 Likes

Excellent idea! I’m also planning to side-mount the non-rail side belt. Any chance that you could post the print files?

1 Like

Sure! That’s on the bucket list.
I just need to cleanup and package a few things before posting this
Maybe early next week.

Also, be aware it’s only been tested with laser as of now, so I cannot testify if ther’s a loss in rigidity

2 Likes

First real cut (side plate for the side-mounted front belt) in 12mm MDF
Went really smoothly, I was quite conservative for this first cut: 12-15mm/s with 3mm DOC (1/8" cutter)

Really happy, it seems a lot more rigid than the LR2, hope the nex cuts will be as smooth as this one :smiley:

4 Likes

Ok, I ended up re-drawing the whole thing, so it might take a bit longer :confused:

On the plus side, as I said earlier, the design is heavily dependent on the thicknesses of your plates, and the spacer’s length needs to be adjusted accordingly
Having re-drawn the entire thing in Fusion, I think I’ll share the design to allow for easy customization

3 Likes

Cool!

BTW Doug, I tried to mill the side plate using the SVG you provided, but could’nt quite use it because the circles for the holes have been exported as poly-lines, so I can’t select them in Fusion for a “Bore” operation (the profile needs to be a circle)
Also, the scale is not right when importing, probably a unit thing :confused:

Wouldn’t it make sense to shift the “wheel” bearing holders?
I believe they have been designed to be in the middle of the plate. So if you would push the bearings to the inner table section I believe you might win some distance, no?

I guess ESTLcam is not as picky as Fusion re. CAM prep.

Do you mean adding some spacers between the YZ plate and rollers to move the rollers toard the right (as seen from the front)?
A bit like the rail side ?

Indeed, but watching your other pictures I believe it might not work

What would be the objective ? Getting the additional side plate closer to the YZ plate and avoid flex?
Interresting but I’m not sure it would be that effective

Currently the design adjustability relies on just changing the length of the spacers
You can reaonably get the belt to sit anywhere between “right below the YZ plate” (need to add an overhang strip of wood or an unistruts), to “5-10mm left of the YZ plate”

If course, the more extent you add, the more flex you get

1 Like

I’ll post a dedicated topic when I get back from vacation, with a few more pictures to make those options clearer

2 Likes