LR3 - France - MKS TinyBee / FluidNC - Side-mounted Y belt

Episodic build every 2 years :smiley:

My LR2 has been quite a long ride, began in november 2019

Never really finished it as I experienced unexpected shutdown in the middle of the job…debugged this until january 2020, never found out what was wrong, and I let it down for a while

Re-worked on the build in november 2021, changed the Z screws, the controller and a bunch of things…

This time I managed to get a few cuts done, but it was kind of a constant gamble…

Started some major home improvement in the meantime, so I put it away once again…
As I set up a removable frame, it was slightly more convenient to store away this time :stuck_out_tongue:

Fast forward September 2022… I decided to print the parts for a LR3 conversion… printed them, put them in a basket… forgot about this… :slight_smile:

June 2023… I decided to bring the LR up to cut some ornaments for my son’s birthday.
Changed controller, once again… installed a laser, got nice cuts out of this one…

Milling was still problematic though, skipping steps from time to time, even with light passes and slow speeds…

So, here I am now… trying to reboot this LR3 conversion… ordered the parts, screws and such, still have to print a few missing parts (braces mainly)…

7 Likes

So… I tried to cut some flat parts for the LR3 with the LR2…

Milling went bad for the most part…
Only part I could successfully cut was one YZ plate…
Excrusiating cut, multiple slow 1.5mm DOC passes… only to realize I cut it out of 20mm MDF, too thick to be easily usable…

Every subsequent try with 12/15mm mdf resulted in a failure…

Trying to laser-cut 10-15mm mdf/plywood also was problematic, with a lot of charring

So I decided to cut two mirrored plates out of 5mm plywood (easy slow single pass), and glued them together
And a small touch of matte black (heat resistant, because why not…) spray paint later:

I still have a slight alignment problem because my LR2 isn’t square, so X and Y are not the same, and the pieces don’t have the eaxct same shape as they were cut with different orientations (part of why I’m rebuilding to an LR3)

Printed parts and bolts do fit correctly though… so not bad I guess after all…

Currently debating wether I should cut the XZ plates or print them…

5 Likes

There is not a significant benifit over milled xz plates compared to printed ones. I would just go ahead and print them since your prints look really nice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s why I printed the parts back in september… I had a well running 3D printer, a dry spool of good filament, so I thought “why not try and print these parts, just in case…”
Not sure I can pull out nice and clean prints this time too, but I’ll try :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well I may have started a year after you, but I think you are a year closer to finishing! :rofl: :rofl:

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

While the braces are printing… I guess a third layer won’t hurt… 15mm total thickness

Just as I could predict, the printer went crazy, stopped mid-print four times in a row… 8 hours of printing lost in total
Turns out the gcode was read from a corrupted segment of the SD card, resulting in a freeze…

Seems to be printing ok right now though…

1 Like

Jinxed myself on this one… two failures in a row >_<

Parts rolling in, braces printed (7 of them… I meant to print 6… just realized right now I only needed 4…)

Still have the YZ plates to print and struts to cut, but I might be ready for starting the build this weekend…

1 Like

Couldn’t resist the urge… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You’ll get there! Keep at it.

1 Like

This thing pretty much assembles itself…
Night and day experience coming from an LR2 o_O

Printing the tool mount right now, but the 3D printer keeps freezing… :confused:

1 Like

A few quick questions that lay have already been answered alsewhere but hey… maybe a can spare a search :slight_smile:

1/ The Z screw “stub” does not align with the motor axis perfectly, the motor axis is a bit closer to the side plate than the lead screw (the Z stub sticks out a couple millimeters too much)
When the lead screw is engaged, the slight angle makes it very difficult to turn.
Am I missing something? (using printed XZ plates and 15mm side plates)

EDIT: I think I know what’s going on… I upped the Z e-steps a bit during the print because the head was scrapping on the top of the print… I may have a bad Z calibration due to this “live tuning” :confused:
Don’t really want to re-print two XZ plates though… so I may be adding shims somewhere to make up for this…

2/ The core’s outer top bearings can slide past the tube on the X axis, is that normal? Also, the X axis switch doesn’t hit anything, am I missing a part? Maybe the two issues are related?

EDIT: after a quick search, it seems the X limit switch is meant to hit the X tensionner I have not yet installed… guess I’ll see this soon enough…

2 Likes

Made some progress tonight…

The LR3 is assembled, just need to take care of the wiring… and build a table for it…

4 Likes

That looks so great!

1 Like

Made a quick simple case for the MKS TinyBee from the blank fusion file…
Currently printing…

Having access to the source file is so useful for such parts! Thanks Ryan!

EDIT: Here’s the file, if anyone needs this
https://www.printables.com/fr/model/520311-lowrider-3-cnc-control-box-case-for-mks-tinybee

1 Like

LR3 “Stealth edition” :slight_smile:
Just like my Weber barbecue ;op

Hope it won’t catch fire though… ^^"

Ok… case printed, and I can confirm my z calibration is off by +4%

Hope it won’t affect the parts I printed for the lr3 too much…

1 Like

Ping me if it doesn’t like it did for me… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Been quite busy last night and today…
I finally settled on the size and position of the CNC table…

The lowrider will sit on a big wall-to-wall, 3 meters long, 1.35m wide workbench that will double as Woody storage shelf…

It’s located in an unused part in the back of the cave/workshop, that served as a personal dumpster for the past 8 years…

What a mess >_<
So it begins with a big big cleanup, and adding some light…

16 bags and a trip to the dump layer…
Still a lot of cleaning to do, and I need to finish thé flooring top, but that will do for now…

Adding some lights and begining the table’s build

Currently printing the modded parts for the "belt inside unistruts " mod…
In the meantime I’ll finish the table if I Can (I may need a trip to the home depot)

6 Likes

6 Likes