LR2-LR3 The Longest Conversion (AUS)

That has to suck. Start feeling better and too easily over do it I suppose. Take it is easy, try to slowly get back to some normalcy. Set backs can be super frustrating, especially in terms of health.

1 Like

Well, I’m trying to put my LR3 and CAM head on and it’s not as easy as I thought - I finally threw out a big box of “leftover bits” including the LR2 and have discovered that the Makita Vac Mount (Lower) is MIA.

I was going to make a new modified version anyway - so I guess that’s my tomorrow!

In the meantime - here’s my puzzle of the day…

https://forum.v1e.com/t/update-or-new-version/40835/338?u=bitingmidge

So sorry for the setback. Will continue praying for you.

1 Like

There have been a couple of posts of late regarding dust enclosures.

I’ve been reluctant to post this because it’s not finished and it’s probably not going to get built in the short term, but it might inspire someone into action. Here’s my “starfighter cockpit” enclosure.

The end panels are obviously cnc cut - my plan was to form the "bows from 6mm ply, half lapped over the stringers, then stretch clear plastic over the lot, very much inspired by Platt Montfords Geodesic Aerolite boats with a couple of covers over the sides to tidy it all up.

The holes in the end are for dust extraction - there should be plenty of inlet air through the vac hose slot in the table. This is most of the reason that the table has the form that it has.

4 Likes

Progress on the revised Makita vac pickup -
The objectives -
To reduce the footprint of the current standard setup (and Doug’s) version.
To simplify it generally (two printed parts - the snap-in skirt setup is not yet done)
To help the router run cooler by improving airflow from its exhaust.
To improve fine dust pickup.

I can tick the first box, am confident that the second will be OK and the others will have to wait for proper testing, but if looks are anything to go by, I’m optimistic.

3 Likes

OK, I’m happy with the vac pickup for now, but would like to do some comparisons before I draw any conclusions and the TPU skirt!.

I’ve been happily cutting foam to remind myself of what the process is. Age or Covid or a combination of both means that I have to start back on the learning curve every time I take a break, and I’ll need to check everything before I fire it up again. Having said that I have exactly four weeks until we finally leave for our base in Belgium, and while I’m desperate to have the LR3 (and the Laser) fully operational before we leave, there are one or two little things that need doing first!

As long as @vicious keeps having new ideas about the next version I’ll be OK! :rofl:

4 Likes

Ahh well, another delay, but with two sleeps to go until departure, I haven’t been idle in other areas.

All the LR3 and laser bits are packed up with a list of where I was at, for use in October when we’re back, but I have some large art projects happening next year so we’ll see how far that gets us. I’m a little desperate to get both machines really, but it is a little frustrating having perfectly good equipment yet still needing to buy a few simple timber gifts for friends we’ll be visiting at a local gallery.

Which brings me to the purpose of this post - a really neat little trivet/plate call it what you will. It seems to me to be a perfect practice piece for two sided CNC as it really doesn’t matter if are a little bit out on either side.
It’s about 200 mm diameter and about 12mm thick,

6 Likes

It’s a really nice design
Combining very simple features in a way they make a complex interaction is a favourite of mine

I’ve seen a similar technique used for a lampshade
It has simple vertical grooves on the outside, and horizontal grooves on the other sides, and the light can pass through thos intersections
The final effect is very pleasing

4 Likes

Do you know whether you’ll be close to me? I’d also try to come meet you if you can’t come to my place directly but are in the vicinity. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We have you firmly noted, but it will probably be August sometime before we are close!

I suspect we’ll come within about 10 k of you twice next month - but both times will be straight above! :wink:

We have a stupidly chaotic month coming up - Switzerland to Corsica to Denmark to Belgium, and maybe a quick detour to Normandy!

After that we seriously don’t have a clue but hopefully we’ll base ourselves on the boat with probably not quite enough time to get to the top of the Netherlands, depending on where we are and when, and water levels and cranky old machinery not being too cranky.

However Hanover beckons, and we’re of that age where rail travel isn’t too expensive, and same country car rental is OK too, so anything can happen.

3 Likes

So cool, I’d really love that. I forgot all about Hanover already, but it’s in my calendar. :smile:

I live in Oldenburg, if you are there any other date you can come pop in. :slightly_smiling_face:

I wish you all the best for your travels, stay safe! :slightly_smiling_face:

/edit: Btw: I think when you are back you need to change the title to “LR2-LR3-LR4 The Longest Conversion (AUS)”. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

A friend of mine from the UK says you should never say that to an Australian - we see it as a challenge! :smiley:

As a small experiment, It’s currently 11:20PM on Sunday 26th May. I will try to remember to log on in an hour or so (Our flight leaves at 2:00 am) and see if I can get a feel for how long this flight is by reposting every twelve hours or so tomorrow. We leave at 2:00 am, fly for 21 hours with a couple of hours stopover in Dubai, and arrive in Zurich at about 8:00 PM Monday. Hmmmm.

5 Likes

OK, it’s Monday 12:12am, four hours since we left home. 91km travelled!

2 Likes

I’m just waking up. Headed for some coffee and then a bike ride.

1 Like

At the time of reading this, 1 hr after you posted, it’s Sunday @ 11:19am EDT right now lol.

2 Likes

Chasing Monday- it’s 10:20 am in Dubai 19.5 hours on the road!

2 Likes

I’ll finish what I’ve started here but won’t keep spamming this forum with my travel yarns- if you’re at all interested mostly daily updates are here

1 Like

Please remind us every now and then that there is your blog. :smiley:

1 Like

Just bookmark this post! ;). It’s currently 9:26 PM where I am and you are, on the 27th, and 5:26AM on the 28th at home. My brain is fried, but Pillow to Pillow is exactly 47 hours!! :frowning_with_open_mouth:

2 Likes

Bit of an old one but have you uploaded the modified front stops?