LR2-LR3 The Longest Conversion (AUS)

OK back into it possibly… while I’ve been away the nice lady at the post office got a hold of some syringes with some blunt ends (or maybe it was me scouring eBay) but in any case she handed them to me today, and I managed to pump the linear bearings full of superlube.

One small step…

Then I succumbed to a dreadful cold that’s being passed around the family, but if my head is clear enough I might see if I can find out where I am up to tomorrow.

One of the challenges with taking long breaks is that you lose all momentum, in my case that also means quite a bit of backtracking to re-acquaint myself with all that tech stuff that doesn’t come naturally.

So I’ll check the level and square again, maybe run over all the nuts and bolts, and see if we can make a little dust!

Ohh how I hate it when I try to predict the future, specially when it’s as far away as tomorrow is!

1 Like

I advise against running them over, they might break or damage your car. Rather check them. :yum::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well I certainly hexed myself there. “ Dreadful cold” turned out to be COVID :dizzy_face: so for the time being I’m pretty much laid flat.

Anti viral drugs are on there way so all being well we’re still on track to be operational by Christmas! :joy:

4 Likes

oh man that sucks. I had it a few months ago and my wife has it right now. But she is on the upward swing now. Take care and get well soon!

1 Like

Will pray for you.

1 Like

Two days of anti viral meds and paracetamol and I must be slightly improving- I’ve learned why you use the :poop: emoji! It so neatly sums up how I feel!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Nothing to relay really - but I can sit up in bed and am getting a bit antsy, so recovery seems to be underway. There’s something very weird happening with co-ordination though - I touch type and my fingers are shaking and getting tangled as I go, like the keys on an old manual typewriter for those old enough to have seen one at work.

It’s possibly not the time to sneak downstairs and start firing up machinery.

5 Likes

That sounds rough!

Take it easy, find a good show and watch the entire run. Don’t rush it.

1 Like

I had Covid way back in 2020, lost my sense of taste for 6 months. That virus sucks… I likes my food.

Hope you recover quickly and get back to making the man glitter (sawdust in American English).

Thanks! I’m on two “wheels” today, but still contained to my solitary room to ensure that my “boss” has her best chance of not catching it - my brain feels like and etch-a-sketch pad that’s just been wiped, so it might be a few more days till I use anything that can hurt me or that might catch fire if I make a mistake!

But I’m close!!

4 Likes

Wowsers! Two weeks down, and parts of me are starting to move a little but given the year the “other of us” has had, we have to err on the side of caution here and I’m still testing positive! So a few more days in isolation.

It’s crazy how even with no agenda two weeks in bed can set you back months!! Hopefully a day or two more will see some improvement and I can get back into it!

4 Likes

Well it’s week three, midday and I have been up all morning so that’s a good sign!

“Brain fog, anxiety, memory loss” are all quite normal after effects apparently, so it’s nice to know I’m normal! :rofl: :rofl:

My brain has almost cleared enough to try to catch up on a bit of admin and fiddle with a few photo editing tasks, but I don’t think it would be wise to start playing with death wheels just yet!

But I have promised to get the “fenders” uploaded today, so it looks as though I’m back in the land of V1e no matter how tenuously!

4 Likes

Dang, you’ve been down for quite awhile… Lots of missed opportunities for CNC greatness here.

1 Like

Nothing missed! :smiley: Well nothing that I can remember anyway. I am “almost” ready to play again - replaced a clothes line yesterday, a toilet seat today, and even started mucking around with the printer, it’s midday and I’ve only had one sleep, so things are really looking up!

Just catching up on all the other things that have been neglected that don’t involve accidental amputations, but I really do hope that the next week will bring some joy!

In the meantime, I’m grappling with the amazing HueForge, and Lightburn (or at least I’m opening them, pushing some buttons, staring for a bit then closing them).

3 Likes

Another month gone. My brain came back about a week ago, the fatigue is lifting, but the fever and head buzz keeps coming back to remind me I don’t want to stretch myself too far. I spent the weekend putting together two short AV presentations with PTE AVStudio so I reckon I’m half way through the learning curve there, haven’t touched Lightroom yet, but managed to crack out a small sample tile with HueForge, call it a sketch if you like for a full sized piece which will hopefully be 700mm square and made of about 100 tiles the size of this sample! That will keep the printer out of action and me out of “new project temptation” for a few weeks.

In the background I have a large public art piece in the early stages of planning with my French mate and perhaps some more cutting with the LR3 later in the week. A girl has to do something while the printer is tied up!

3 Likes

I can’t believe it’s been a week, and I’ve been making all sorts of promises I thought I could keep! I alluded to some shed time ahead - I’m not sure how realistic that is, but I may get some CAD time tomorrow and catch up on those small outstanding bits of LR3 I’ve been promising - the Hue Forge art piece is coming together nicely - although I reduced the size to 600 square in the interests of time and filament. 36 tiles down, 64 to go (I prepared the photo earlier!) :smiley:

The tiles are 60mm square, nine per print, 30 layers @0.8 with six colour changes (Black, Green, Blue, Vanilla, and White) in various layers. There are two spots where I get to leave the printer for an hour and ninety minutes, but the rest of the time, I am really starting to see the sense in a Prusa XL!

@DougJoseph I’ll be back on those fenders before the sun goes down tomorrow! I can’t leave my desk after all.

4 Likes

Wait a minute… Those tiles aren’t going behind a urinal, are they?

That looks great. Have you tested if they will stay clean after some grout?

2 Likes

PNG image

Not sure that will be the actual end use Jeff! OK I am sure, and it won’t be!!

No testing, no grout- but they will be mounted on an ACM panel with construction adhesive!

No doubt I will update on progress- was going to cut the panel on the LR for giggles but really, with a table saw sitting beside it, there’s no sense in that!

2 Likes

I would have been back on the LR3 today, but after a few gentle weeks away the old COVID fatigue has hit with the sort of vengeance that makes me think working with machines might not be smart this morning at least. (I can do a bit of a clean up in between lie-downs so all is not lost)

l did cut up the ACM sheet I’d set aside for the final struts as a backing for the art-piece mentioned above, and I have had enough “wake-up” time to get it finished at least! As above description, 600mm square (2’) 100 tiles printed with the help of HueForge.

Still disappointed that we can’t make RMRRF, I’m determined to have “final” pics of the LR3 before then!!

6 Likes

Whoa, that is rad!

2 Likes