Lowrider3 in Florida

To remix for that, the fist question is what magnets to use. My first thought on that, is I used some powerful little round neodymium magnets for this LR3 related project I did:

LowRider 3 CNC Plasma Torch Mount with floating Z and magnetic breakaway, prints without supports (v1.2)

… and therefore if I planned for those being what is used, I already have the existing geometry for the press fit holes. :slight_smile:

1 Like
Products used as shown in video:
1 Like

Yes I have been following you’re plasma build and those Amazon magnets should work great

1 Like

On closer inspection, the “air scoop cup” part of the shoe, is already a removable thing. All that is needed is to have more than one version of it, say, regular, medium tall, and extra tall!

1 Like

I am currently making a remix that offers 3 taller versions, in 1/4" increments.

1 Like

@Jonathjon, nice front grill strut :slight_smile: Appreciated reading through your build journey.

@DougJoseph, should folks with Makita still use the existing one at LowRider v3 - Makita 700 Series Mount & removable dust shoe - REMIXED FOR 2.5" HOSE (v1.1) ? Are the additional 3 taller remixes only intended for spindles with collets that end up being lower?

Appreciate the info, literally about to print off the lower dust shoe lower part. Cheers!

2 Likes

Q: Should folks with Makita still use the existing one?
A: Yes. The taller ones are intended to be swapped in only when you are doing non-deep-cut jobs and want your dust shoe temporarily lowered!

Q: Are the additional 3 taller remixes only intended for spindles with collets that end up being lower?
A: These are intended for anyone who has need or want of a slide-on/slide-off scoop part of the shoe that is temporarily taller to get down closer to the work surface.

1 Like

That is awesome! Thank you so much for that!!! Now I just have to wait 2 weeks to be able to print and try it lol

1 Like

Here’s a link to the newly posted remix!

LowRider 3 CNC - HEIGHT EXTENSIONS for Makita 700 Series Mount & removable dust shoe - REMIXED FOR 2.5" HOSE (v1.2)

https://www.printables.com/model/359024-lowrider-3-cnc-height-extensions-for-makita-700-se

2 Likes

You sir are the man!!! Thank you!!!

1 Like

Wait, why is it taller? That is cutting into the usable area and cutting down the rigidity by moving things further from the surface, and needing to hang an endmill further out of the collet.

If you are worried about airflow you should just open the channel on the bottom more. Moving it up twice as far means half as rigid.

I have the spindle as high as possible on the mount and the collet hangs a good 1” below the dust shoe. Because of that I wasn’t getting good suction on shallow cuts. If I was going to cut into 3/4 plywood then I wouldn’t need the lower mount. I will print all of the new ones when I get home and be able to use only what’s needed for the specific job

Would remix of the spindle-to-core mounts to seat spindle higher help avoid need for deeper vac hose mount?

Very possible. Right now the lowest part of the 65mm spindle is even with the bottom of the bottom mount so no way for me to raise it any higher and still be secure.

Also I have been meaning to mention this and get anyones opinion about it. I decided to print the 2 mounts out of asa instead of pla. My understanding is it has the same rigidity as pla but much higher temp. I know I print pla+ at 200°C and the ASA I printed at 250°C

1 Like

The collet should line up 2 mm below the lower edge of the Core. That will give the the full range of motion.

You can make a mount that is one piece so you can put the spindle up higher. To be honest though, that is a pretty drastic overkill. Having 3x-4x the power is starting to get offset by the weight and loss of rigidity.

If you get the collet lined up to the bottom and use a suitable length endmill the boot works very very well as is, even with a 1.5" hose. If you have to use too long of an endmill a dust skirt is a good option.

1 Like

ASA is close PLA is still more rigid. ASA has the drawback of unhealthy fumes and warping.

For the tool mounts, though, they are basically belts and any material will hold sufficiently well. Rigidity comes into play most with the core and the X stepper mount printed parts.

2 Likes

This is only a 1.5kw spindle so not even twice the power. I believe the Mikita is 1.25 hp and this is 2 hp. And I don’t thunk it weighs much more than my dewalt 611 did in my lr2 but I will look that up to be sure. What I see the big difference being and what I’m running into right now is the collet hangs a lot lower out of the bottom than it does out of the Mikita. I’m going to give it a shot trying to remix a mount. I know nothing about doing it but hopefully I can find some YouTube videos lol

2 Likes

Roger that. I went with it for the temperature since the spindle does run a little warmer than the router. But honestly it not bad. The one I have in my primo is in pla mounts and doing just fine

2 Likes

Ok i had some time to mess with this a little this evening. Now i have no way to test it or even measure how high i can go from work so go easy on me lol.

https://www.printables.com/model/360285-lr3-65mm-spindle-mount

Basically all i did was raise it up 20mm and put a 1mm fillet around the edges (that was the closest i could tell from what Ryan had originally done). If you much more experianced guys could tell me if you think this will work. Hoping this will give me the room to bring the spindle up higher and get the collet from hanging so low.

For anyone wondering this is “work”…

Second photo is crappy but i dont have a ton of pics from off the boat that show the full length of the legs. Friend of my was on another boat and sent me these when i came in last hitch.

2 Likes