LowRider v3 - table extenders to use LR2 table (with metal struts) with LR3 - endstop/tensioner supports

LINK TO PRINTABLE FILES: Printables

Description

I upgraded my LowRider v2 to LowRider v3. Normally this means a wider table is needed if you want to maintain the same cutting area. However, if you have metal struts on your LowRider 2 table, then you can add these “end-caps” I designed in order to widen your table’s “reach” and thus use your existing table without widening it. With these extenders I can still cut 49" x 97" MDF sheets.

The original V1 Engineering LowRider 3 tensioner bases and tensioner mounts attach directly to these. Caveat: the original V1 Engineering LowRider 3 tensioner bases have holes intended for slightly thinner screws, and I drilled them out to accept M5.

There are nut capture slots on the bottom sides of each, which accept two M5 nuts per corner, and then you can attach the tensioner bases to these.

My LowRider v3 upgrade process is detailed on the V1 Engineering forum here: On upgrade path: LR2 -> LR3, Clarksburg, WV, USA

You want these strong, not so much to avoid breaking but primarily to avoid flexing. I printed these with 1.8mm thick walls, which is the equivalent of 4 ½ perimeter walls —if using a 0.4 nozzle at normal settings. I do only 3 walls and have it be as thick as 4.5 walls, because I print with walls that are 0.6mm thick instead of 0.4mm thick. Stock 0.4 nozzles can handle this if your extruder can keep up. I have two printers with 0.6 nozzles and several others with 0.4 nozzles. I run them all at 0.3mm layer height and 0.6mm wall thickness.

If you like my work, please consider buying me a cookie via my PayPal tip jar: PayPal.Me

2 Likes

Looks like I might need to do something similar to my table - Could you tell me the dimensions for the metal strut, I’m assuming it’s the standard ‘unistrut’ we have in New Zealand.

I bought generic Unistrut (same type product as Unistrut, but not that brand).

Below are links to the type of product I bought (one link is the name brand, even though I did not buy it).

Have you consider cutting the insert that goes into the strut out of wood and then 3D printing the outside - with some modification (Holes through ) the 3D printed parts you can attach it to the wood . It could potentially save 15 hours on printing .

That’s no doubt a workable approach. Short answer is I had not considered it. :slight_smile:

kk I just need to figure out how I can modify your drawings to me able to insert the holes for wood screws and one last question do you have stl for the 25p4 shout rail attachment on the top of the struts .Thanks

Hopefully I can get a solid understanding of what you have in mind and can help.

Same challenge here. Need to get understanding. Are you referring to the rail blocks on the Y? When you typed “shout” did you maybe mean “short”?

25p4 version

1 Like

1 Like

I have just now created the shortened rail block remix (third version of my remixes) in all three sizes. Previously I had only the 18p1 third remix. Now I have all three sizes. Will post to Printables soon.

UPDATE: now available on Printables

https://www.printables.com/model/415298-lowrider-3-cnc-three-remixes-of-rail-blocks-181-mm

2 Likes

I’m working on the remix with the Y tensioner extensions that can be attached to wood inside the unistrut.

Thanks

1 Like

Looking good. So does that mean you don’t need me working on remix for this?

No. A remix from you will be very official - I just did this to get my cnc going for now .

1 Like

Ok. I had already remixed right side. Your pics show left side.

Here is my remix intended for the same purpose. “WOOD INSERTS EDITION”…

LowRider 3 CNC - WOOD INSERTS EDITION of table extenders to use metal struts with LR3 - endstop/tensioner supports

Printables

Thank for all the suppose - I have added some pictures of the wooden insert .

1 Like

NEW REMIX provides 10mm worth of adjustability to get your belt orientation perfect.

LowRider 3 CNC - table extenders to use metal struts with LR3 table - endstop/tensioner supports - v1.1

Printables

NOTE: In September, 2023, a fellow V1E maker ( @steved on the V1E forum ) needed a little bit of adjustability on the location of the right-side belt-tensioner+endstop mounts in his metal-strut-based LowRider, so I made this v1.1 remix of the original design, which provides 10mm worth of adjustability. If your LR3 X gantry is a bit too long (not more than 10mm too long), you can use this new v1.1 version. The only changed parts are the two right-side mounts (“LR3 Tensioner Extender Front RIGHT” and “LR3 Tensioner Extender Rear RIGHT”).