LowRider v3 Floating-Z Dust Shoe and Router Mount (for Dewalt, Makita, Kobalt), for 2.5-inch Vac Hose

Nice work Doug,
I am loving this design, it really does not look out of place from the original design from Ryan, and to me that is important.

In terms of the dust escaping when the dust shoe is over the edge of the board, you can see at about 32min on the video when it comes around the curve, it is clearing the cut channel.

So maybe an option is to make and even smaller ring of the EVA foam, maybe just a circle the same as the OD you already have and just carry that around in a circle, rather than following the contour of the dust shoe.
With the nature of the dust shoe, I am not sure if this is possible without a HUMP in the dust stream. But the air is so disturbed at that point I don’t see it being a big issue. There are other designs out there of dust shoes that rely on the skirt material to be glued into a open slot around this area, so maybe that is an option.

Either way defiantly will be ordering the parts and printing this far more refined and, at least to me, more sympathetic to the original design and look of the LR3 than what i was looking to do.

Bravo.

Chris

Got that, but I’m more interested in measuring the fine particles - the ones that appear on everything overnight! They are the ones that you breath and cause damage!

Don’t get me wrong - picking up chips is equally admirable! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words and advice!

I had pondered this briefly and the “hump” issue put me off it, but now I’m renewing my efforts to consider it! In the mean time, I closed off the air hole at the bottom some more!

Got it. I have some ponderings about more / different use of EVA foam.

I’m also wondering if the mounted part I’m calling a guard, is needed as a mounted part, and whether I could get more closure by switching that real estate to the parts that move up and down.

I’m pretty confident there is some potential benefit here to be mined by regaining some genius from Ryan’s original “two part shoe” design that I unwittingly dismantled by trying to keep part of it mounted to the core instead of carrying it all to the sliding part. I’m going to work on that.

1 Like

Also loved the video, glad things seem on the right track! I will hopefully be cutting withing the next week, so hopefully I will have similar results. Thanks for all your work on this, and looking forward to further tweaks.

1 Like

More about the above… I’ve considered for some time that switching the mounted “Router Shield” (that I also sometimes have called a “guard”) from being mounted to the core to being mounted to the linear guide, would allow covering up more of the remaining openings in the shoe, but I also then considered that it would “starve” the dust collection of air intake. So, I’m leaving it as is. In the two tests I did in the video, the first test was only on half suction power, and when I ran the second with normal suction power, I did not see evidence of chips making it through the remaining openings.

1 Like

The dust shoe worked really well, by and large, while cutting my struts today (about 1h 40 of cutting time). I did notice at one point late in the process that the latch had engaged and the dust shoe was no longer floating on the cutting surface. That could just be a me problem, since these were my first cuts, but it got me thinking about the latch mechanism…

The idea I had, which may not be feasible, is something like a gate latch. It wouldn’t engage automatically like the current lever latch does (due to the spring), so it would never interfere with the motion and wouldn’t drag on the linear rail block.

image_7977

However, this is all conjecture. It would probably have to be pretty beefy because of the downward force that the compressed hose exerts, so I don’t know if a 3d-printed part would make sense. Maybe?

Anyway, just food for thought, Doug. If it inspires some remixing and experimentation, I’m happy to continue being a test subject. If you read this and think, “this guy’s a bonehead, that would never work,” that’s legit too! :rofl:

1 Like

It’s worth considering!

Hey, I have edited the Printables listing to give a heads up about the homing issue, and I credited you for the fix, including a link to your post and showing your photo! Thanks again!

1 Like

NOTE: There is now a new version of this (v1.1) as of November 1, 2023! Here’s the link: Printables

The following is pasted from the description of the new improved edition on Printables:

After the original version’s success, I’ve made quite a few improvements (some minor, some major), which include the following. I won’t editorialize here over which are trivial tweaks versus crucial must-haves, because different things matter more to different makers. If you already built the original v1.0, consider these change notes to decide whether to stay with your current version or reprint some parts to upgrade.

Summary of what’s new:

• Design now allows X-axis homing to happen closer to the left side of the gantry.
  • Improved new dust shoe body. This and the above can be done independently or together. An existing v1.0 build can do just this new dust shoe, or just the above, or both.
  • The new version now offers support for three trim routers (whereas the original was only for Makita):
    • DeWalt 611
    • Makita 700 series
    • Kobalt’s new “V1E-friendly” corded trim router for CNC makers.
  • In my testing on this version, I had to glue in the EVA foam bristles. I used CA glue.

Before giving you all the juicy details, here are some renders and screen shots:

Re. X-axis homing closer to the left side of LR3 gantry

• After v1.0 was released, makers with standard LR3’s found that the original design had to homed with the aid of a screw in the X tensioner block / end stop, to have homing happen before the design bits met the left side. My apologies for not catching this sooner. (I missed it in the prototyping and testing phase because my LowRider v3 homes to the right side of my gantry, as I have my X and Y swapped.)
  • In order to get the X-axis homing point as close as possible to left side of the gantry, the following parts were modified:
    • Floating-Z Dust Shoe Mount
    • Motor Mount Upper
    • Hose Mount (2.5") (lower)
    • Hose Mount (2.5") (upper)
  • If you already made v1.0, and want to upgrade, the above are the only parts that need reprinted. All other parts will work. However, while your existing Shoe Body v1.0 will continue to work, there is a new, improved Shoe Body v1.1 in this remix. See below.
  • The additional distance gained to get homing to happen closer to left side of gantry was accomplished by:
    • Swinging (pivoting) the air column’s placement toward the right by 6.2 degrees.
    • Raising the linear rail guide and its mount upwards by about 2mm, and trimming down the left bottom side of the Linear Rail Mount part.
    • Taking 2 mm worth of height off both the Hose Mounts, to help accommodate the raising of the Linear Rail Mount part, which also helped with the following….

Re. improved Dust Shoe Body

• On v1.0, the groove for the EVA foam bristles followed the perimeter of the shoe, while the airflow opening is only at the business end. This meant that whenever the shoe had its backside off the material, there was a loss of “seal” allowing a reduction in effective suction. This new Dust Shoe body still has bristles around the perimeter, but also how has a new stretch of bristles tightly surrounding the airflow hole at the business end. The bristles at the back side are now just optional, and I left them in place just to have “equal footing*” whenever the whole body of the shoe is “sledding” on the material. *Please pardon the pun. Dad jokes are what they are.
  • The extra groove space for this new stretch of bristles was accomplished by thickening the bottom of the shoe (by 5mm). With the aforementioned 2mm raise, this gets the bottom of the new shoe right even with the bottom of the core. This is why the 2mm raising mentioned above, was helpful.
  • The groove for the bristles now has tiny little barbs to help hold the 2.4mm thick EVA craft foam bristles. See the original v1.0 listing for BOM and affiliate links etc. Kudos and credit to @clayscustom for suggesting the barbs in a comment on the first video in the series! Thanks for the idea!
  • New design (SVG and DXF) provided for cutting new bristles (out of 2.4mm thick EVA craft foam).

Re. now supporting three different trim routers, DeWalt, Makita, and new Kobalt

• In case you had not heard, the makers of Kobalt requested input from Ryan Z. of V1 Engineering, to focus their development of a new, corded, trim router intended to meet our “CNC maker” needs more closely than other brands. I’ve included it in the three supported routers.
  • The new Kobalt router…
    • offers support of standardized ER11 collets for use of affordable collets and affordable, readily-available bits, in a range of sizes.
    • offers a fairly wide range of speeds, including slower speeds that are helpful for CNC use of Âź" bits.
    • comes with both Âź" and 1/8" collets right out of the box.
    • lowers the price point for makers getting started with a LowRider or MPCNC.
    • shows support for V1E / LowRider by displaying a model of the LowRider v3 on its box, in product displays at Lowes stores, and on the online ordering page on the Lowes website!
      • Full disclosure: Kobalt provided one of their new trim routers to me free of charge, with only a request that I share some video of it. Below is my video of the unboxing and results of my initials cuts with it. See my YouTube channel for more great content.

And these other videos are also related to this:

And here are some pics of the box and store displays that feature a LowRider v3 CNC!

And below is how I wish the above photo looked, but they probably wouldn’t say this due to advice from their attorneys. (I didn’t verify this with their attorneys, but I’m probably right):

And here’s the box for the new router, showing off a LowRider v3 CNC!

Notes of interest:

• I made all three editions of the motor mounts by simply grabbing Ryan’s V1 Engineering designs for all three, and then attaching my floating-Z air column stuff onto his designs.
  • I am dependent on owners of the various routers to let me know if you see any issues with the support of your model — especially for the DeWalt 611 router, since I don’t possess one and thus cannot test for it. It’s bigger and heavier, and it required its own elongated versions of the Shoe Mount, Shoe Body, Shoe Lid, etc. I have not printed those items! I have printed and tested the mounts and other items for both the Makita and the Kobalt routers.
  • Print files that are specific to a certain router will have that router’s name at the start of the file name. For example:
  • For the Dewalt Router, the file names look like:
    • DeWalt_Floating-Z Dust Shoe Mount v1.1.stl
    • Dewalt_Motor Mount Lower v1.1.stl
    • Dewalt_Motor Mount Upper v1.1.stl
    • DeWalt_Router Shield v1.1.stl
    • DeWalt_Shoe BODY (for 2.5-inch Hose) v1.1.stl
    • DeWalt_Shoe LID (for 2.5-inch Hose) v1.1.stl
  • For the Kobalt Router, the file names look like:
    • Kobalt_Floating-Z Dust Shoe Mount v1.1.stl
    • Kobalt_Motor Mount Lower v1.1.stl
    • Kobalt_Motor Mount Upper v1.1.stl
    • Kobalt_Router Shield v1.1.stl
    • Kobalt_Shoe BODY (for 2.5-inch Hose) v1.1.stl
    • Kobalt_Shoe LID (for 2.5-inch Hose) v1.1.stl
  • For the Makita Router, the file names look like:
    • Makita_Floating-Z Dust Shoe Mount v1.1.stl
    • Makita_Motor Mount Lower v1.1.stl
    • Makita_Motor Mount Upper v1.1.stl
    • Makita_Router Shield v1.1.stl
    • Makita_Shoe BODY (for 2.5-inch Hose) v1.1.stl
    • Makita_Shoe LID (for 2.5-inch Hose) v1.1.stl
  • Print files that are usable for all three routers have “Universal_” at the beginning of their files names. For example:
    • Universal_C-Clip (Hose Retainer) v1.3.stl
    • Universal_Hose Mount (2.5") (lower) v1.1.stl
    • Universal_Hose Mount (2.5") (upper) v1.1.stl
    • Universal_Linear Rail Mount v1.1-A (no slide latch).stl
    • Universal_Linear Rail Mount v1.1-B (with slide latch).stl
    • Universal_Slide Latch v1.1.stl
  • For some print files, the Kobalt and Makita files are identical. Their motor mounts are different, but most other parts are shared. To spare any confusion, whenever a DeWalt difference required separate files, I went ahead and made separate Kobalt and Makita files too.

Printing and Assembly

• Please refer to the instructions on the original v1.0 and please watch the first three videos in the series (see below), as the printing and assembly are almost identical.
  • Re. the Hose Mount Upper: there is now no need to re-drill the access holes — where the original part caused some closing off of the tool access holes, the new version has notches to align with the access holes to keep them fully open.

Change log

• V1.1 was ready on October 25 (a little over two months after the original was posted), but published on Nov 1, 2023, primarily due to waiting for green light on mentioning the new Kobalt router.

My PayPal tip jar: https://paypal.me/design8studio

Various LowRider 3 CNC remixes:

View all my models and remixes on Printables:

*Product links to Amazon items are affiliate links.

Part 1 video:

Part 2 video:

Part 3 video:

Part 4 video:

…pending…

3 Likes

Hey Doug, Love your design!.
Also are you able to make adapters like this:
https://www.printables.com/model/627293-hose-adapter-25
Most Common Vacs here in Aussie have a OD diameter Ribbed hose of 50mm/ID of 40mm. (This is my case).
And/Or OD of 35mm/ID of 31mm for non-ribbed adapters. (Some Other vacs here)
Otherwise Are you able to make a scad that can be adaptable with them notches for the Clip.

1 Like

An adapter like that, for the size you mention, is certainly doable. I have a lot on me right now. I’d be willing to share my source file(s) — this was designed in SketchUp.

1 Like

This would be all new to me, but willing to give it a try :slight_smile:

Another option is to import the STL file(s) into your 3D modeling program of choice, and create the adapter from there…

I just added the SketchUp part files to the newer v1.1 listing on Printables:
https://www.printables.com/model/625802-new-for-3-makes-of-routers-lowrider-v3-floating-z-

I added the following note:

NOTE: As of November 20, 2023, editable SketchUp source files are being included. One file per part. SketchUp is not parametric like Fusion 360. Editing in SketchUp is more like “direct edit” mode in Fusion 360. Both SketchUp normal workflow and “direct edit” mode in Fusion 360 are what some call “mesh editing.” Don’t let the word “mesh” throw you off. It’s a straightforward paradigm that comes to new users very naturally.

1 Like

Hi dough nice work, i made your creation, just have one problem, the z axis isnt going all the way down, i found out that the vacum is keeping it to lower all the way, any ideas on how to fix it?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Can you upload some photos to show the issue? It’s difficult to grasp without more description.

If your user account on the forum is too new for allowing photos, perhaps you could use a photo sharing website such as https://www.flickr.com/

Yes i cant upload anything yet but heres a wetransfer link for the video.

Edit: cant upload links either.

But When i turn off the vacum the z dust lowers all the way down. The vacum is sucking the dust show so it cant lower all the way.

So am I right, that the issue is your suction is too strong for the dust shoe to slide down on the linear guide? If so, perhaps a remix of the shoe, with a wider air entrance hole at the bottom, might help.