LowRider v3 Floating-Z Dust Shoe and Router Mount (for Dewalt, Makita, Kobalt), for 2.5-inch Vac Hose

I have not made any modification yet. The file could have been probably at least a couple of millimeters longer. Maybe even 3 mm longer. I can’t remember if there was any other change I was thinking of making.

I’m talking here about the length that gets inserted into the track/groove, not the bristle length.

2 Likes

Roger that @DougJoseph I’ll take a look at it and any modifications I make I’ll be sure to post. Will be this afternoon or tomorrow before I get to that point just wanted to ask while I was thinking about it

Let me know your progress on this configuration, I am using a 65mm 1.5KW spindle too and also tall, so a mount to integrate the top of the core will be great.
Thanks!

1 Like

I created an adapter for the hose mount that should work with the same type of 2.5" dust collection hose that is cut and installed as part of the floating mechanism. I still need to test the latest iteration on the machine, which won’t happen for a few more days due to a trip. Assuming it latches correctly with the c-clip, I will share the STL and the CAD file for remixes.

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks. Will check it out when I get back to my computer! EDIT: Just noticed the last part, that the design remix is not yet posted!

1 Like

@aeversme Thank you! Looking forward to seeing the model. @DougJoseph I was wondering if a top mount for the spindle can be integrated with the cable chain mount that you designed a year ago, cable chain already on my LR3. I think that such an addition will be great!

2 Likes

Today, I worked on the Linear Rail Mount with a slide latch. I re-drilled the four rail holes on the mount to 4mm to accommodate brass M3 inserts, and it was so easy not to think about nuts during installation!
I also cut the EVA Form bristles with my daughter Cricut, which makes it easy and fast. Laser will come later on LR3 using the Kinematic tool mount.

1 Like

That’s great. You’re up on me there because I did not worry about nuts or inserts. I just let M2.5 screws cut their own threads in the plastic and called that good.

HEADS UP to anyone helping test this or planning to

I need to remix and reprint the “shoe” itself (that’s the same part that gets the EVA foam bristles inserted into it). Hoping to get to that today.

Last night / wee hours of the morning, I finally got to some more progress on prepping for trying this out.

The shoe itself, once slid on, is long, and the business end of it is hanging out there, acting like a bit of a lever. It can get shifted around (laterally, “leftwards and rightwards,” in the same XY plane as the material) pivoting from the point back on the end of it that “slides on.” This means it can collide with the core when it is getting “retracted” upwards. I need to remix it to have more clearance.

Just wanted to mention this now, even before I remix it, in case someone is prepping to print it, so they know to hold off a bit.

2 Likes

Thanks, Doug. I am postponing the printing of it until you give the OK.

1 Like

Looking forward to checking out the remix!

I have posted my hose adapter here: Printables. The slots for the c-clip are a little large; if someone wants to remix it to be more precise in relation to the c-clip and in terms of distance between the c-clip holes at the hard stop in the dust shoe mount, feel free. It’s probably not as slick an interface as a shop vac hose, but it ought to do the trick. Haven’t tested it live, though, since progress has been slow and my LR3 is not back on its rail yet.

1 Like

Cool! Thanks!

I’m trying to publish the remixes, and currently hitting a license roadblock. I have posted a question to Ryan about it.

OK, I went ahead and revised the license on all my upstream remixes to match what Ryan’s original Makita mount currently shows as its license, which is the “Share Alike” one. I was then able to get past the roadblock and set the newest revision on this latest remix to the same.

Download the latest files here: Printables

Change log:

• October 3, 2023 — Revised the Shoe Body and Show Lid based on actual testing. The shoe itself, once slid on, is long, and the business end of it is hanging out there, acting like a bit of a lever. It can get shifted around (laterally, “leftwards and rightwards,” in the same XY plane as the material) pivoting a little bit. This means it can collide with the core when it is getting “retracted” upwards. This remix added more clearance, to help with that. I also revised the Slide Latch part, again based on actual testing. I made the “hook” part of the latch stronger, longer, thicker, etc. To reiterate, these are the revised parts:
    • Shoe BODY (for Makita, for 2.5-inch Hose) (qtr open) v1.0-A.stl
    • Shoe BODY (for Makita, for 2.5-inch Hose) (half open) v1.0-B.stl
    • Shoe BODY (for Makita, for 2.5-inch Hose) (full open) v1.0-C.stl
    • Shoe LID (for Makita, for 2.5-inch Hose) v1.0.stl
    • Slide Latch v1.0.stl

Thanks, Doug. Printing them now.

1 Like

Just completed my first couple of test cuts with the new floating Z dust shoe arrangement. Video forthcoming (part 3). Definitely all but eliminates wood chips / saw dust getting out onto the table/workpiece. Whether or not this “sled shoe” approach is good for the long run will be known over time. If a maker with this setup happens to be doing a job that is likely to have some of the cut pieces “pop up” out of their slots and potentially collide with the shoe, then using the built in latch to hold the shoe up would probably advisable. For now, I’m thrilled with its functionality.

ive try it and it work like a charm in a dewalt 611 with a bit a modifications i made my hose from tpu

thx lot for your work doug

1 Like

@Liam_Garcia Thanks!!!

Thank you! On its way to the printer :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just finished editing the Part 3 video on this, and it’s currently rendering. My initial testing with the “1/4 open” shoe has led me to think the best option is a shoe with the very same amount open as on Ryan’s original @vicious1 design, so I won’t be testing the “1/2 open” or “full open” options. Just a heads up. The video will hopefully be published later today, as soon as I can get it uploaded and processed. I’ll also be making a thumbnail image for it.