LowRider 3 — Aza's IDEX upgrade (2 Routers!)

Somehow, I like the idea of using a LowRider v3 core as a paper weight or some such. Perhaps intriguing. :rofl:

2 Likes

Assembly > Core > Kobalt Router Semi-clear Vac Hose mount

Hoping to increase light on stock/bit by modifying Printables > V1E > Kobalt Router LR3 Mount.
Printing mix of transparent and Kobalt blue PLA… Swapping filament after printing bottom 3mm.

• Am using Cura’s “Z Offset Setting” Marketplace plugin to help configure the filament color swap. See Chep’s YT video for details.

Blocked bottom…

Clear bottom…

Learnings

• Problem: Z Homing may collide with partially printed base parts… fix: Configure initial Z homing to use an extreme XY corner. Rely on subsequent Z-Tilt to true level up the print bed.
  • Remember to disable skirt/brim for upper slices.

Will edit this post and share files when done. Need to see how well the Clear SunLu PLA and SliceWorx Royal Blue PLA bond…

Edit: For this situation, looks like change filament at layer height would be more straightforward than using the z-offset plugin.

5 Likes

There’s also the old trick of starting a single print job in one color filament, then pausing the job at a certain height, changing the filament, and continuing the print. There’s a plugin for Cura I think that allows setting which layer to insert a pause at.

1 Like

So the sliceworx royal blue is the good match?
I just ordered some sliceworx yesterday, but royal blue wasn’t my guess for the Kobalt.

Yeah, I wasn’t sure either and emailed the owner to confirm before I bought 2 rolls.
I haven’t tried color matching other filaments to the Kobalt Router, so, there could be better matches out there? Personally, I like SliceWorx’s filament so far, color’s close enough for me, and seems to extrude ok. Normally I get Overture/Hatchbox PLA/PETG, would’ve got theirs if found better match.

1 Like

All the slic3r variants have color change baked in.

3 Likes

Silly me not thinking to write a communication. Based on the colors displayed my monitor (I know the failure there), it looked like the Royal Blue was a dead ringer for the dark blue on the box.

The shayshay Blue looked closer to the router, and the light blue on the box, so that was my dice roll.
Sounds like I have a Royal Blue order in my future, and a new roll on the way for prototyping. :blush:

Edit add: I wanted to see how close the Ocean Cyan was anyway, so that’s why I chose sliceworx for my dice roll.

Snippets from email exchange with SliceWorx founder :

"The Royal Blue PLA matches the Kobalt range of products from Lowe’s in the US

Also here are the other matches of all the colors:

Robitobi Green - Ryobi

Ocean Cyan - Makita

Rocket Red- Milwaukee
"

Hope that helps, cheers!

3 Likes

Pause and filament unload at layer height, and adding a M600 Macro to my Klipper config?

That sounds easier than the 12am manual model slicing and positioning I did :man_facepalming:

Is this the way?

1 Like

The vac hose i have it hanging from the roof with a simple aluminum door hanger rail : simple, easy and CHEAP. You could also make 2 boom arms

1 Like

That sounds about right.

Assembly > Core > Kobalt Router Semi-clear Vac Hose mount

Shared .STL file, and video showing how to Print partly clear Vac Mount…

Parts:

6 Likes

Love it! I need to do this.

1 Like

So, any updates?

2 Likes

:slightly_frowning_face: no updates, but hoping to get back to this soon…

1 Like

That is insane!

Mr, what happened? Is it alive?

I am also interested in how this is coming along?

No IDEX updates, it’s on the list… :frowning:

Have been distracted with working on wrapping up, and starting :man_facepalming: , other projects like playing Tetris on a Wood tiled display (192 servos, Raspberry Pi). The display doesn’t set fire or smoke anymore, so hoping to get back to this one soon.

Next step for my IDEX is wiring up…

Going with more involved relay setup, for control, and compactness. Fastest design-assembly option would be something like this.

3 Likes

so when you do get it working, can you make an api on this discord so we can all play it, LOL, oh and obviously we will need a camera :slight_smile: