Little boxes with magnetic lid

62x82mmish.

2 Likes

First of all… Nice job!!!
Did you draw the dove yourself? If so is it OK to use the picture? II don’t want to do any injustice to copyright of someone

Wait you made one…. :eyes::flushed::smirk: link? May need inspiration for some pens I’m gonna turn soon

Also these look awesome dude! Do you need to plan for wood movement on a piece like this sense the cnc is so accurate or is it too minimal to worry about on smaller pieces?

I hear these sometimes work better than 2-flute. Is that your experience as well?

Nice job! Sorry, your title made me think of this song and now I can’t get it out of my head. :grin:

No, I borrowed it from the internet. You can certainly use it for private use, I would not recommend selling something with this dove on it on Etsy though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Take your pick (in order of me making them, I really like that you can see the improvement of the plans and of my skill):

The newest dxf is attached. It has some instructions and comments in German, but not too many. The bottom two drawings are the pencil case, the top left is for the inlay/engraving and the left two boxes for the mirrored drawings if doing an inlay to have a border for the clearing paths.

Stiftebox Blanko Kreis v2.dxf (299.5 KB)

For the pencil cases I nearly exclusively use a 6mm 2-flute, just for the magnet holes I switch because I am a) lazy and b) it’s so much quicker.

The boxes above were made with a 3.175mm 1-flute because I didn’t want to swap the endmills for the two magnet holes. This is connected to the ER collets being pretty snug in the collet and I didn’t want to be bothered taking them out… :smiley: I ordered another collet so I can easily swap between my most (and so far only) used sizes… :stuck_out_tongue:

Eek. Switching to Tool again. :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh dear, this is like pulling teeth! :grin:

They are really gorgeous, but how deep is that cut? (Asking for a friend).

I wanna see how much I remember so let’s see if I can read them :rofl:

Thanks for all the info!

1 Like

Oh, you want like, details. Sorry, I am used to asking the questions as a teacher and getting stupid answers. :smiley:

The wood is 18mm, the hole of the bottom part is 16mm deep, leaving 2mm at the bottom. The first one was only 12mm deep though. The other one has got a 2.3mm lip and is 5mm deep below that. Then I cut off the top 80 to 10mm or so with my circular saw. I eyeballed the cut. For the other boxes is usually use my planing endmill, but there was no time. :stuck_out_tongue: Plus, the kids have 3 oval discs to build something neat. :joy: The magnets are 5mm long, so those holes are 5.2mm deep.

I think that should cover it. :smiley:

3 Likes

Sorry I drifted off about half way… :rofl:

Thanks - I’ve been pondering how to draw a nice curve over that oval top. Laser inlay, curved top Hmmm…

16mm deep is the number I was curious about - they look much deeper than that.

1 Like

Elena is only 12mm deep… :open_mouth:

I’m going to leave that one alone… :zipper_mouth_face:

Very nice! I recently bought some ring box 3d models and small magnets to make some boxes too. Just hope they come out as well as yours.

1 Like

Nowhere near as nice as yours, but for two pieces of scrap pine… not too bad.

4 Likes

Looks great! If everything works as expected (it does not yet :P) I am going to have a really nice box in a day or two. :slight_smile:

How much wiggle room did you leave for the lip?

1 Like

.5mm. Snug enough to come off easily, but not tight, if that makes sense. I fogot to add spots for the magnets though… version 2…

2 Likes

Not done yet so not worth another thread, but too cool not to share - the Guinea Pig box:

6 Likes

Dude, that looks soo cool! Sehr guht!

2 Likes

That looks awesome so far! I was trying to figure out what you were cutting in the previous video. Now I know. :grin:

2 Likes

Tested mine further and carved the top. Looks ok, but man, your guinea pig box is amazing!

4 Likes