Laser engraver help - cannot find right setting

I folks,

I recently bought a 5500mW laser for my MPCNC and installed it together with a lillte fan air assist (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1688209)

I can switch it on and off using M3/M5 and it’s all working software-wise.

Now I tried to find the best setting using a power amd speed test and generated the code using laser web. It is this test: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2608315

The result looks like this:

AS you can see, there is hardly any difference seen in most boxes. Only the slow cutting has dark burns. Everything >25 mm/min looks the same.

Does anybody know what the problem could be?

Would you say it is rather a software or a hardware problem?
I have the feeling that focussing, no mather how hard I try, never really works and that the light dot also looks a bit like a square.

Thanks for your help, guys!

There is a laser focusing script floating around that draws lines over and over at different Z heights.

Are you sure you are getting different power levels from the laser? Does S10 look different than S250?

It may also be the laser mode on Marlin adjusting the intensity with speed. It is supposed to make the intensity the same while accelerating and decelerating. But I don’t have the experience personally to see what the issue is.

1 Like

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your reply.

I know of the script but I think it is not needed as I can use the lense to focus the laser. I do get a evry small dot, I just have the feeling that this dot still is square in some ways, so I am not sure if there may be a hardware issue or if this is normal.

I did also test different laser levels. From the LCD-Screen-menue I can change the power level and it does look different. I maybe should sheck if the this is the same for the “S” command. Maybe that is the problem. I will try this, thanks!

I think I found the solution myself.
The gcode looked somewhat strange with the S command changing only a few times and in a patztern I could not understand.
It seems like LaserWeb has a setting for Marlin and for default.
Having changed the setting I can see differences in the test skript.
Now I only need better working air assist and better focusing… Working on this now. :slight_smile:

The focus script is nice because it can be very finely adjusted. If you want the Z to be a particular Z, I would stil say it is worthwhile to try the focus script to be sure you have it about right.

Unless you don’t have control over your Z for some reason.

1 Like

I agree with @jeffeb3 wholeheartedly on this. I find Ryan’s focus script indispensible to find absolute best focus… which is crucial if you want the finest line work and best cutting performance. I routinely run it with any material and/or thickness change. The following photo shows the 10-line focus “gradient” produced by the script (lower left) with each line in the gradient displaced just 2mm in Z from its neighbor…

It’s also handy should you want to darken/thicken some lines relative to others in an engraving… defocusing them by a known amount from best focus

If you have an MPCNC and a real Z axis, it’s a simple procedure and only makes sense IMHO to take advantage of it. I’ve built quite a few laser engravers and find a fully-implemented Z-axis indispensible… if for no other reason than to help find absolute best focus for a given material and thickness.

– David

2 Likes

Where might one find said script? And is it just a Gcode to run?

I think the script should be this one, right?

I will test it once I found a good solution for air assist… I ordered a little airpump and I will see how that works out…

Thanks for the advice and also for the impressive pictures!

1 Like

That’s the script. I’m not sure of the laser module you are using… but I should think that a 5.5W laser body would be larger than 33mm X 33mm, which is the air-assist “thing” you linked. I have used that one… and also the 40mm X 40mm one with my 3.5W Banggood/Eleksmaker units. There was a Laser Air Assist Shroud by “danwar” out on Thingiverse that I actually prefer and now use but it appears that it has been removed from Thingiverse for some reason.

Are you using Grbl? Marlin? I am a real fan of Lightburn… the engravings I’ve shown were done with it. If you can provide more detailed info regarding your setup (laser, firmware, controller, etc) I’m sure you’ll find the help you need.

– David

1 Like

Hi David,

thanks for the reply…
Yes, it is a 33x33 laser. According to ebay, where I bought that thing, and the label it should be 5500mW. It does have a lot of power and balsa for example is burned easily. That being said, I am still trying to fugure out the right settings, so it might just be bad ventilation and slow movement.

I am using the MPCNC in dual endstop mode with 5 drivers and therefore I use Marlin.
So far I have tested EstlCam and Laser Web for laser cutting but I have not been able to get good results, so I am still testing.
I get to laser focused to habe 0,1mm lines, though running the focusing skript might be a good idea.
As I said, I am going to add air assist via a pump. I guess running tests on the setting beforehand does not make sense.

@lullaby - What mount did you use for your laser. I think I purchased the same one, and haven’t found any mounts for it with the primo. Hoping to avoid designing my own.