Kobalt router

I was just at the store in W. St. Paul and it shows $99.98.

Turn around the sign… :stuck_out_tongue:

If they won’t give you the price, you can probably do an online order and pick up. I bet it rings up as $79.

1 Like

Wonder if wrong sign/pricing is a common problem and holding back sales? Only seeing one router sold from the 10 closest Lowes locations. Hopefully marketing for manufacturer has a vested interested in identifying and fixing these types of issues…

Yup went into my closest store, the display was gone and all 6 routers were up in the steel, could not even buy one. I asked the guy in the tool section, pointed to the routers in the steel and asked about them. “Hey are those the routers on sale for $79, is there something wrong or those for sale?” …“not sure.” They were seemed pretty understaffed so I didn’t push it.

If anyone is reading this, buy it online and go pick them up. Shouldn’t be any hassle that way.

2 Likes

Another part of the equation, is that Lowe’s notoriously won’t even price match their own prices on their website. I have run into this multiple times over the years and have been turned away. If it doesn’t ring up on sale, they likely won’t adjust it to match an online price.

I agree with Ryan, that the path of least resistance is buying online and just picking up.

2 Likes

If you have a issue again go here

https://www.lowes.com/l/about/lowest-price-guarantee#:~:text=If%20you%20find%20a%20current,ship%20to%20the%20customer’s%20location.

Ask for the manager and show them this. They should at least be able to point to the reason why they can’t or you can file it online

4 Likes

So, more info for any other procrastinators (like me).

I finally got off my butt, and had enough “needs” from my local Lowe’s to warrant a trip during the holiday shopping season. One of my needs was to “reclaim” $20.00 on my Kobalt router.
I had already educated myself with the store’s policies including the info Andrew had provided, not that I was expecting a conversation, but if one developed….

My local store was pleasantly calm, for 5:30 pm, on a Wednesday (even though the interstate was a nightmare) and nobody was in line at customer service. As soon as the clerk, noticed me, and stopped tidying up the returns, I explained the item I purchased on October 28th, was now on sale, and I was looking to get a price match.

To my surprise, after looking over my E-mail sales receipt, I was informed that “Unfortunately it was purchased, over 30 days ago, and it’s no longer eligible for a price match….” As I was trying to a) decide how within policy, I wanted to defend my position, b) make sure the increasing anger and frustration building inside me, didn’t flow across my lips, I was then pleasantly surprised that their conclusion to the sentence was, “but I will do it anyways, this one time”.

So yay! Positive experience for me, other than the commute on the interstate.

The reason, I’m wasting your time with a positive experience is sitting in traffic in the way home, I realized it sounded like I received a favor. HOWEVER I feel it was more to the store’s benefit. Per the policy there is nothing stopping a consumer from purchasing a new tool, and returning it using the old receipt, up to 90 days from the point of purchase. Ethics, maybe? But if the price match doesn’t match the return policy… And in my case, my Kobalt is still sitting in the box, brand new, as I haven’t decided if I’m going to gift it, or keep it for myself (hope to decide that by the 20th).

Point of my story is make sure (like Andrew pointed out) that you as a consumer know the policies, it might be the associates are not knowledgeable or are confusing policy’s with each other. I suspect they were confusing electronics with electronic tools, as it is a 30 day return on electronics, but clearly defined as tools are 90 days (citing two brand names specifically).

Happy holiday shopping everyone!

3 Likes

When I worked retail 20 years ago, the theory was that a small fraction of people were using the return policies in a way that cost the store money. Most people would come back and spend twice as much if you gave them a good experience.

Even then, we would require an ID or credit card on things like returns without receipts. I would not be surprised at all if you had a lot of questionable returns that the limits would be black and white.

Circuit City also had big return policies with manufacturers. If they wanted, they could return something to sony for 2 years after the purchase without paying for the product. CC sold an extended warranty on some small sony things (minidisc players, for example) and sony would end up footing the bill anyway.

I have also heard that companies like Dewalt essentially pay HD/Lowes to sell their stuff on consignment. HD/Lowes doesn’t care if you return it, those costs just get moved to the manufacturer. I didn’t hear any details like that with Kobalt.

Costco has a good system. They kinda let you do what you want…until you abuse the system. So they keep track of your spending versus return rate, and maybe even return rate of certain departments (TV’s after super bowl). You will notice they check your account while they smile and process your return.

On the back end of that the returns department has rules for every vendor. Most of the food type things have every X number out of 1000 can just be logged and tossed (or donated to shelters or pig farms) if it gets over X they need to clarify why there are so many returns or damaged. Big ticket items have all sorts of rules like when you get 5 items palletize and ship back, or cut out the barcode (ruining the item) and just ship that back. They process a lot of returns, like, I am a bit surprised how lax they are about it. 3-4 full time people and a large dedicated area.

Thanks for posting this. I bought mine online and was able to get a refund of the difference through the online chat. I typed price match and was connected with an agent who processed the refund. :clap:t2:

1 Like

My mom worked at a college book store (mostly textbooks but some regular books too) and the publishers asked them to rip off the title page or front cover and ship those back, then recycle the rest.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that for others, didn’t even think of that as an option. (Feeling old at the moment)

2 Likes

Yesterday afternoon I tried to price match my recently purchased router (within the 30 day window) and they told me they would not match the website. :roll_eyes: So I guess I’m going to try Steve’s suggestion.

1 Like

I worked at the online customer services of Lowe’s competition and some things can be set in stone and oters are very fluid it is the resellers that set the policy. It is unfortunate but the abusers are a huge problem. The representative you talk to beleave me wouldd give you everything you want but it is monitored by 16 different metrics but if we can we will give you the keys when we can.

2 Likes

Haven’t even started my build yet and ordered one from Lowe’s for 59.98 tonight. Have they been holding up to rigorous use so far?

3 Likes

WHATTT!!!11!!

1 Like

Geez at that price I’m tempted to buy a backup.

I’m starting to wonder if these aren’t going to stick around once they sell out of current stock. I was in Lowes the other day and they were on a shelf with the oscillating multi-tools and not with the other routers.

That’s what I was thinking.

Shelves didn’t empty at $99, $89, or $79, so they are either testing the market for a price point, or clearing stock