Kayak build

I realize I never posted the picture of ‘after’ sanding everything.

I think they came out pretty good.

5 Likes

That is looking amazing :clap:

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve built a boat, and I am really enjoying building yours vicariously. It’s even giving me the “itch” to do another (which won’t happen), so keep up the good work, and keep posting to keep my itch at bay!

2 Likes

Last night I spent time lining up the deck and hull so today I can mark where the seats and footpegs need to be.

The ratchet straps were needed because the hull has relaxed and was wider than the deck. I’ll leave it strapped together for the next week to hopefully cause the hull to relearn it’s shape.

I think I needed to brace it’s shape better when I glassed the inside.

5 Likes

Foot braces installed.

2 Likes

Well… Still didn’t use the cnc on the kayak.

I ended up just going old school with the bandsaw and belt sander to make these. A little more sanding with a sanding pad will make them good enough. The mounts are far enough from each other you’ll never notice they’re slightly different.

The white one in the middle was the initial design.

2 Likes

Got one inside seam done… Then ran out of epoxy :frowning:

6 Likes

Man that thing is looking good! That’s an amazing amount of work and skill in one picture right there! Cant wait to see it finished!

4 Likes

Me too.

2 Likes

Ha hahaha…

Reading through past posts and this one made me laugh.

2 Likes

You didn’t say what year so you are still good! :rofl:

2 Likes

My wife would kill me if I took all the way til next year. My honey-do list is growing faster than my progress on the kayak.

I did dodge one honey-do over the weekend. Wife wanted a new dining room table that I was going to build. We went and bought one instead. My rule for buying furniture is it has to be something I don’t think I can build. This one has a glass top and interesting curved wooden base.

5 Likes

Epoxy comes in on Thursday.
I have a nephew’s birthday party Friday afternoon and a nieces birthday party Saturday afternoon.

But… I think I can at least get the inner seam done on the other side and get the tape pulled off. Then I have a lot of sanding to do on the outside of the boat before it will be ready to fiberglass the outer seams.

1 Like

How heavy will it be when finished? Its looking great!

@niget2002 , are you going to make a video of how you epoxy the inner seam? I’m interested in how this is done especially at the far ends.

I will. Right now I have raw video of me talking before/after gluing the first inner seam, but I plan on doing some action shots of me gluing in the other side. I didn’t want to video the first side because I wasn’t really sure what I was doing.

Here’s Nick’s video where he does it on his Petral Play (I think)

2 Likes

The plans say it should be around 55lbs. Mine might be a tad heavier from over use of epoxy.

4 Likes

Always better safe than sorry :disappointed: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I wanted to work on the kayak on Friday, but ended up with this.

So I got up early this morning before our events started and got the other inner strip glued in. Now waiting for epoxy to fully cure so I can start sanding the outside of the boat.

10 Likes

That is a cute of a shop dog :dog2: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes