It Actually Works!

Yeah trying to automate stuff that moves around is not really possible without a TON of preplanning and zero flexibility so I see your point for sure. Hopefully you will get the needed space soon and be able to dive into it more.

I use these blast gates. They’re not horrible. I thought about seeing if I can put a solenoid on them to open/close them.

I like the looks of the 3d printed ones too. I may print one of them to see how well they work.

https://a.co/d/4tyat0T

If y’all haven’t seen it, this guy also has a pretty good setup that might be slightly easier and less plastic, but he sells his stuff now.

pretty good video, but in the end, I don’t think he was using DWV and didn’t want to pay for the models without knowing for sure that I wasn’t going to have to edit them and stuff.

He also relies on manually pulling the blast gates, which I wouldn’t be able to reach for mine.

Scott Walsh also has some that he automated with MDF instead of 3d Print. Also good content

Both of those are worth watching for ideas even if you have no intent of using their stuff

1 Like

I found those pretty interesting, they are different than the other kids:

This is what I based mine off of.

1 Like

I found my original post

Just got done running the LR3 and about to go start the next job. Dust collection kicked on and off each time I started/stopped the spindle. Very nice!!! I do have one issue I need to figure out though. Before I put this last piece of plywood up I was using the dust collection to clean off the left overs from the last sheet and it kept shutting off. I guess once I turned it on and the current draw was low on the spindle that automation shut it off. I need to see if there is a way to have it only shut off if the spindle start automation triggered it. Seems I have a lot more to learn LOL

@jeffeb3 any words of wisdom??

Edit: Got it figured out. I didn’t know that you could use another automation as a condition. Worked perfectly!!! Spindle will still turn it on and off, and if I hit the push button in the garage it will stay running and not be turned off by the spindle automation!

You can?!

It is very empowering. It feels great at first. Then when things break, you have no one to blame but yourself. This is why we have adages. “The journey is the destination”, stuff like that.

I’m very happy with it. I am not sure it provides any practical value. But I like to know it is optimized.

1. I have several temperature sensors in the house. I love the awful named Xiaomi Thermometer LYWSD03MMC. I can literally flash them with new firmware from my couch, using an android phone, without installing an app. They broadcast temperature, humidty and battery level over BLE. I add one line to the config for a few of my esphome devices and I have good coverage for a ble proxy.

2. Each sensor has a weight value in home assistant. So the living room has a 1.0. My office is 1.0 while I am scheduled to work. The bedrooms have 1.0 at night. The average house temperature is:

sum(temperature * weight)/total weight

3. I also have my thermostat’s measured temperature in home assitant. I compute the difference between the thermostat temp and the average house temp. I end up with an answer like, the house temperature is 4.6F above the thermostat.

4. I low pass filter that offset. I don’t want it too dynamic. Ideally, it would have a step response on the order of a half hour or so.

1. The filtered offset temperature gets fed back to my custom thermostat. The custom thermostat code keeps a local copy of that offset. Whenever it gets a reading from the temperature sensor, it adds that offset before comparing for the logic to toggle the HVAC.

You can see the offset change a lot while the heater is on. That isn’t my intention. But it does have an effect. There is also a trend where the offset is higher during the day and lower at night. There is also a DC offset that shows the thermostat temperature is always higher than my house temperature. Those things are all well adjusted.

With the weights and the offset, I think it is pretty well designed. The thermostat is still local only control. There is a lot of flexibility for automations in the weights. I could turn off the temperature sensor in the room with the fire place if that was running, for example. The low pass filter makes it less obvious I am changing anything.

1 Like

Apparently so lol

There are other options in the servo market, Have a look at https://hobbyking.com/en_us/goteck-gs3009mg-metal-geared-270-high-torque-digital-servo-38kg-0-09sec-60g.htm. not only is it considerably cheaper than the Amazon one, it is also more powerful @~30kg(and currently in stock). There is also a 180 degree variant which is currently out of stock.

2 Likes

As an AWS engineer, I love automation

But this has always hit too close to home.

automation

The Amazon ones I bought were $11 each at the time. They are currently $13. The one in your link is $19.

I looked around a bit but could not find any better deals. I bought 1 20KG Servo and tested it, and felt like it was strong enough.

The $6-$10 per servo mattered since I was going to have to buy 7-10 of them.

Please don’t reality check my delusions of long term laziness being the way. REAL reflection can be painful, but helpful in avoiding insane repetition of failed approaches :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They might have been $11 when you bought them but they were a lot more than that just before they went unobtainable from your link on Amazon…

I don’t know what you mean. That link still works for me

Something to do with delivery country then?

It was a lot more than €13 before it went unavailable for me.

Amazon is definitely different for different countries.

Added a particle sensor to the Dust filter this afternoon. Now as soon as I learn what is good and whats not I can use the values to turn the dust filter on and off as needed. So far we usually remember to turn it on when we start things but when your busy trying to get stuff done it can easily be forgotten as well.

Ask a doctor everything is bad
Ask a old woodworker they’ll yell profanities in your face

The answer? somewhere in the middle… :rofl: :rofl:

Just spent a few hours out there working. Ran the LR3, Sanding, and even sprayed some rattle can Poly. Sensor seems to be doing good and I guess the filter is doing good as well. Seems like it goes back down pretty fast…

The 2 real high peeks seem to line up with when I was spraying the poly…

I’m just going to let it run for a while and collect some data from it. Then Ill make a decision on how to use the info in an automation for the dust filter.