FreeCAD is hard

the only problem I have with FreeCAD over OnShape/Fusion, is that I split time across so many computers, the cloud files thing is very appealing for me.

I have the same problem with Blender, and the files are large. I don’t have a good solution for saving/opening my personal files across many computers

I agree with this for sure. I can even open up onshape from the boat computer that wont let you install ANYTHING on it lol

I have a personal Nextcloud that sits in my basement. I haven’t thought about cloud files for ages now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Be very careful with this. I was lazy in the beginning and did not constrain everything, then I made one move I could not undo. Had to redo the model. Since then I verify i am green before go, LOL.

I even remove Double constraints.

I made an array with 75 circles (the one in the CAM screenshot above) and I didn’t find an option to contain them automatically… Do you know how to do that?

I am just above beginner, so I am very sorry I cannot help there. Also it is very late here and my cad stuff is in the freezing garage right now. you know i saw a mango youtube not to long ago about patterns. it may be there. I will look tomorrow

Was your first hole constrained before you made the array?

yes.

i think maybe this? https://youtu.be/-3gaYl_pIFU?si=cJdTt_3Xv6ongpaY&t=337 path array?

otherwise maybe make a grid with reference lines to snap to?

or maybe this one? https://youtu.be/th4eQmskTnc?si=b0P7xFKXBx1wluBX&t=373

actually his is exactly what you want to do https://youtu.be/V5Pugnri8Ls?si=4_vx1ZR7Lc-WDbaK

you know this is awesome your question led me 2 learn!

Nice, thanks. The multitransform from the last video is used on the model though not on the sketch layer (that I need for Estlcam). If one used FreeCAD as the CAM, then this would make sense. Still incredibly useful, thanks for digging it up for me. :slight_smile:

so you design as 3d but export as dxf.

from top

OH! and from what i learnt last night I WILL be trying freecad cam tooooooo

I moved from Fusion360 to solidworks as I found the part modelling capabilities so much better in the hobbyist licence. The configuration functionality allows different sized parts to be generated and used in an assembley without a separate new drawing.

It has been a while since i looked at FreeCAD, but also struggled to get it to efficiently work.

How’s it going?

:popcorn:

Pretty good. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

That’s the bit that does my head in I’m afraid! I just love the way Kiri:moto understands 3d objects.

Does Millmage, or am I going to have to start learning new skills too?

It’s really easy in FreeCAD. You have a “Techdraw” workbench, select the parts and tell it in which orientation you need them and that’s basically it.

Start learning new skills I’m afraid.

Some DXF related tools reside in the Draft Workbench. It looks like you’re operating on the DXF in the Sketch Workbench. Can’t really tell what you’re ultimately trying to do, but if the goal is a sketch to work with, the Draft Workbench has a Draft to Sketch feature. I’m often confused by the DXF “standard”, but as a test I imported the XZ Max Plate DXF, box selected it, did a Draft to Sketch, and then dragged the Sketch into the Body in the Part tree. I then Padded (extruded) the sketch in the Part Design Workbench to get the plate model. Switched to the CAM Workbench, and created the paths, simulation, and G-Code. Only got there from online tutorials - thankfully there’s folks like MangoJelly etc. FreeCAD documentation seriously lags it’s capabilities - unfortunate, but just the nature of it’s unfunded open source development. Developers want to implement features, not write docs. I’ve written a painful amount of assembly and test documentation - it’s hard to do well, and it’s no fun! Keeping it current - even less fun.

  • Al

I’m playing catchup on this thread, but I’m glad it was started. Lots of great things being discussed here.

I was the IT guy at a solidworks house. It wasn’t that bad and 90% of that isn’t necessary for home/small business use. It wasn’t until we got our 3rd SW engineer that we even bothered standing up the PDM.

I’ve tried quite a few times to design something in freeCAD. Only twice did I complete the design and get it printed before giving up and going back to Fusion. I really want to like it, but man, the learning curve is just NOT intuitive. Even the starting page where you pick what you’re wanting to do is confusing. And why do I have to select different page ‘types’ to do different tasks on my model?

I’ve been using Autodesk products since college in the late 90’s. My wife is an art teacher and as such gets a teacher’s license for their products. For the longest time, I used her access and Inventor for all my designs. Then I finally switched to getting my own ‘free’ Fusion license. Shortly after that was when they started hindering the ‘free’ licenses and it pissed me off. I thought about switching back to the teacher’s license, but it has even more restrictions on what you can do with the designs than the free version does.

This is what I hate the most about FreeCAD. There’s 0 reason to do this and I hate not being able to find a button because I happen to be in the wrong workbench.

You might have just saved me here. Tabs wouldn’t be horrible. Can you limit which tabs are shown or which order?

Can I interest you into SeaFile? It auto syncs directories across computers with a central storage on a server. Kinda like one-drive, but you own it.

I’ll need to look at this. I do a lot of dxf prints for when I design something to be built on the mill. Fusion’s schematic layout software is really nice for this.

I have a few designs I need to do. I think I’ll give FreeCAD another shot with them. Maybe pull down the 1.1rc1 (or whatever they’re up to now).