ESP3D-ESP01 Not Making A Wifi Spot

That is crazy, did it keep restarting or did it stay on?

What a mystery.

Its showing a stable wifi output, but when I try to connect it can’t connect. Sometimes it gives the notice that it can’t connect, sometimes it just tries forever

I don’t use windows. And I am pretty confident you know how to connect to wifi. But it might help to just do a video with your phone pointed at your computer, showing what you are doing to connect. You can post it to google photos or youtube, and post a link here. Just on the off-chance there is a button you need to click, or shouldn’t.

Networking is hard. Debugging through the forum is tough. And we are learning what helps in real time with posts like these. Thanks for being patient about it.

1 Like

Will do, it’ll probably be later this afternoon / tonight. And of course, I’m just trying to keep as much information as I reasonably can in the posts to make it clearer for anyone else in the future.

Any chance of saving the wrong password?

I thought the same thing so I tried forgetting and re-entering the password a few times with no luck

Just posted a link to youtube with the requested video. It was done in the cold room, so minimal wifi interaction

2 Likes

That is weird, it looks like somehow it is showing up as two different hotspots. More confident, the replacement will fix it.

Yeah, that’s one of the things that I noted earlier in the thread, but that doesn’t happen every time. It happened more frequently in the cold room, but even there not every time. I gave it a quick google when it initially happened but didn’t find anything

Well, as an update it doesn’t seem to be the ESP. No changes from what I can see

Do you have a way to “Bench” power the ESP01?
With a programmer or even with jumper leads and a 3.3V power supply?

If not, can you monitor your host board’s 3.3V with a DMM while the board is plugged into it?

1 Like

I don’t have one unfortunately, I just started doing anything with electronics last year. I used a digital multimeter earlier while it was running to confirm 3.3V. I’ll try again tomorrow with the new board chip though and report back.

1 Like

Well shoot. Tuesday or Wednesday I will have to ship out a board, power supply, and esp. We’ll swap and I can dig into that some more.

Sounds good, I’m going to talk to the departments electronics guy on Wednesday to see if he has any ideas

Sorry for the delay, everything is tested and on its way for a swap!

All good, thanks for all the help!

Hi @Ryan,

I’m also having a problem with my ESP-01s not showing up.

In my case the blue light either stays on all the time (see picture below), or doesn’t come on at all.

I’m just going to order a programmer + new ESP-01s from aliexpress and flash it myself.

Can you point me to the instructions on how to flash it for use with the SKR 1.2?

Thanks,
Bernard

Hello @bernieke, these topics helped me flash ESP3D onto a ESP-01S

Hope that helps, cheers!

1 Like

Those two links should get you going to flash it.

Any esp’s that have left here since the original post have been tested twice. I have not found any issues. And for whatever reason the stuff that came back worked fine as well.

The programmer and new esp01s arrived from aliexpress. Got it up and running within 5 minutes following Add Wifi to SKR Pro step by step

I used esptool.py from the extra/esptool package on Arch Linux to do the firmware flash. (esptool.py -p /dev/ttyUSB1 write_flash 0x00000 firmware.bin)

I haven’t connected it to the cnc yet though, I won’t have time to do so until somewhere next week.

[EDIT]
I just tried to flash the original esp01s I had, and it seems to be dead, the esptool can’t connect to it. But that could very well be my own fault, I gave it 5V when trying to get it running before (after it wouldn’t show me a SSID on 3.3V).