ESP3D-ESP01 Not Making A Wifi Spot

Hello, I am probably missing something obvious as I have never worked with these before. Currently, I have an ESP3D purchased from the V1 store plugged into the slots immediately behind the usb port. I confirmed that it is getting 3.3V, and it has a red LED and blue LED lit up, but it is not making a wifi hotspot to connect to.

Probably missing something obvious, but any help is appreciated, picture of setup and lights attached.

Already tried using ā€œWifi Analyzerā€ or similar mobile/PC app to scan whether ESP01 is broadcasting at all, and/or if default channel 9 (within 2.4ghz spectrum) that ESP3D uses is congested/busy with other Wifi devices?

I had trouble when setting up initially, the ESP01 antenna and transmission power can be drowned out by other devices. Have left ESP3D configured as a hotspot until if/when I install a Wifi Access Point/Repeater near the ESP01. Direct hotspot connection has been better since moving CNC to the garage away from most of the houseā€™s IOT devices.

1 Like

It takes a little more than a minute but then V1 CNC should pop up, 2.4G. IT should be good to go I flashed them all then connected and loaded more settings on them.

You are using the release version of my firmware, or what came on the board right? The new nightly marlin the wifi does not work.

The ESP-01 has two leds, the red one indicates power is getting to the ESP board and the blue one is connected to GPIO1 which is the Tx pin, I think if the blue led is on all the time something is wrong, it should only flash to indicate serial traffic. I have a ESP-01s on mine (there is no red led on a ESP-01s) and the blue led only flashes very briefly at power up and then does nothing as far as I can see on mineā€¦
I did have a think that it may be that as mine has connected to my network the indications may be different but I have just flashed Ryans firmware on another ESP-01s and the leds are the sameā€¦no blue led after a brief flash as power is connected.

Iā€™ll have to have another look. I know the red comes on with any power. A while later when the blue flashes once, very quickly, that is when I can connect. I am not sure if the blue does anything after connecting.

ā€œWifi analyzerā€ might reveal some things.

Hi Mike, it was originally switching between blue solid and flashing blue, I reseated it and it is flashing blue at the moment. I just downloaded a wifi analyzer, and let the board sit for a few minutes. After ~5 minutes its shown up on my phone wifi but wonā€™t connect (password 12345678). It flashes on and off, it does show up on wifi analyzer but not consistently. On the phone wifi the name seems to change from V1CNC to ESP406 or something similar.

While plugged into the computer and sound is on it is giving me periodic ā€œbleepsā€ similar to when plugging in an arduino or the skr pro board

New note, after leaving it powered for several more minutes the hotspot has disappeared entirely

Phones always want to get to the internet. So they may not like connecting to the hot spot. A laptop is more reliable. If you want to keep it running as a hot spot longer term, there are settings to tell it to connect anyway.

I have noticed the esp01ā€™s I have are flaky when plugged into the usb programmer and my usb2 extension lead. The measured voltage at the extn socket is around 4.8 - 4.95v. If I plug the esp01 in the programmer into a better 5v supply all the problems disappear, this happens on all 4 of the esp01/esp01sā€™s I have spare at the moment to varying degrees.
Are you plugging your esp01 into the SKR? I would have thought that would power the ESP01 fine.

I donā€™t think the blue led should be continually flashing, do you have another esp01?..they are quite affordable (about $1.20 each and a programmer less than that) and perhaps the easiest way of diagnosing where the fault lies is by substitutionā€¦ posting the suspect one back for Ryan to test will cost more than that!
AFAIK Ryans firmware displays as a hotspot with the name ESP3D. It depends on what device you are using to connect to the esp with as to how to proceed, my chromebook opens a dialogue box to open a ā€˜captive portalā€™ window, other devices might not, you just open a browser window and point it to 192.168.0.1. My android tablet (which thinks it is a glorified phone) wont display the web page at http://192.168.0.1/

Alsoā€¦you might have a problem if your router has the ip address of 192.168.0.1 which is a common default.
It is perhaps not the best thing to have any new device come up on wifi as 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 as they are commonly used as default router ip addresses. I think 192.168.4.1 is often used as default for new wifi devices default address
My home router is on 192.168.1.1 so the ESP coming up as 192.168.0.1 is not a problem for me as it is on a different subnet. If your home router is 192.168.0.1 then I think you will need to take the ESP out of your wireless range and use an un-connected laptop/pc tablet to configure your wifi client parameters.

ESP3Dā€™s default IP 192.168.0.1 was PITA for me too. Changed hotspot mode IP to 1.2.3.4 (after being able to connect initially), so much easier to connect, and remember.

That might bring about its own complications as 1.2.3.4 can be transmitted externally from your home networkā€¦ perhaps best to stick with 192.168.x.x :upside_down_face:

1.2.3.4 IP Address Information

ISP APNIC Pty Ltd
Usage Type Data Center/Web Hosting/Transit
Hostname civilguru.in
Domain Name apnic.net
Country
City Brisbane, Queensland

The 10.x.x.x is another private only ip range. You can use 10.2.3.4 without trouble.

IDK why router manufacturers use 192.168. I think apple routers use 10.10, which makes much more sense to me.

Hi Jeff, Iā€™ve been playing around with it and got it to show as a network on the laptop, but on trying to connect it either kicks me off or says that it canā€™t connect. Iā€™ve previously run ESP8266 with no issues in a similar way so I donā€™t think its a router causing issues

If your home router is on 192.168.0.1and your esp01 comes up on the same address you are going to have an IP conflict on your network and screwy things are going to happen

Could you point me towards how to check that?

Give this a quick shot it will show you visually all the networks and you can see how many are overlapping.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US&gl=US -android

It should be available for windows and ios as well.

It could be a funky module, but since you are seeing it it really seems like it is just getting crowded out.

Mike, he hasnā€™t connected it to his home router yet (unless I am mistaken). He is trying to connect to the web ui on its hotspot.

Once it does connect to the home wifi, it will get an address from dhcp.

So unless you are connected to the hotspot and the home network at the same time, the ip conflict is not the issue.

1 Like

It would have to be multiple things on the same channel, right? I know most things change channels themselves but I think the esp is set for the hotspot, so that is possible?