Dual End Stops on Rambo

I’ve had my MPCNC up and running for 18 months now and love it. I have a 24x24" build using printed parts from my son and the rambo kit from V1. It’s been working very well and I cut at least 25 Christmas gifts from it in the fall/winter.

I decided to add dual endstops over the last week and have an issue I’m hoping someone can help me with.

Here are the steps completed in installing/testing my build:

• Installed new roller guides that incorporate the limit switches on all x and y, both stepper motors
  • added the limit switches to the new roller guides
  • wired each limit switch to the main board as follows at 0,0 xmin and ymin, with x1min and y1min as the opposing stepper/limit switch combo (please excuse the ugly wiring at this point, I’ll clean it up later)
  • flashed the firmware following the instructions from V1 site and firmware from github for rambo with dual endstops
  • using repetier host, tested each switch, including z axis

When I run auto home on the machine, the x axis stops (both steppers) when xmin is closed and moves again if released released. If xmin is closed and then I close x1min, the machine moves to home the y axis. It works the same way, meaning ymin will stop the y axis homing (and will allow it to move again if ymin is released), but again, both steppers stop. If ymin is closed and then I close y1min, then the machine moves to home the z axis. I expected xmin to run until the closed and x1min to continue to run until closed, as well as ymin and y1min as in Ryan’s video.

1. Is this due to how I have the steppers wired (in series)?
  2. Do I need to change the stepper motor wiring to be parallel and not serial?
  3. if I need to re-wire, is there a true benefit to parallel?
  4. Or am I good enough with just the x, y, and z homing?

My objective with dual endstops was to be more square, but primarily to be able to run multi-tool jobs much easier and to put away my feeler gauge for homing z and just use the touch strip.

Thanks in advance for any help…

Tom

If you want to use the dual endstops, then you will need to rewire the stepper motors to also be wired in parallel. The primary function of the dual endstops is for auto squaring. This can only be done if the two steppers on each axis are driven independently.

Well, actually, they need to be wired completely separately to their own drivers. For our purposes, you never want them wired in parallel. We need the power of serial wiring when using one driver for two motors, and when using dual endstops, you need each motor driven independently.

1 Like

That’s what I was trying to say. Excuse me while I write “I will always wire the stepper motors separately” 1000 times.

4 Likes

Dont worry I do that all the time.
I will always wire the stepper motors separately
A 1000 times
or I will try and :heart: 50000 people in 1 day

2 Likes

In sanskrit!!! :crazy_face:

Just trying to avoid miscommunications. Happens to all of us. Me especially. :smiley:

Can you point me to the Rambo wiring diagram for the correct wiring? Is it E0 and E1?

Thanks - Tom

Have you read https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/dual-endstops/?

https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/dual-endstops/#rambo

https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/dual-endstops/#rambo_1

1 Like

X2 will be E0 and Y2 will be E1. In case it is not clear from the docs.

1 Like

Thanks… I read them all, but it’s been 18 months, so I have to say I don’t remember a second option of connection, but I followed the kit’s cables, etc.

Thanks again… I re-ordered the wiring kit and will rewire all 4 steppers with the dual endstop kit.

Tom

OK, I have reworded everything with x2 and Y2 going to E0 and E1 respectively. If I jog X or jog Y, both work as expected. When I auto home only x1 moves. x2 remains inactive. If I press both limit switches on X during auto home, it stops and switches to homing the Y axis and both steppers move. If it press both Limit switches on the Y, it begins homing the Z.

Any thoughts about why X2 moves when moving the axis on the LCD, but doesn’t move if I auto home?? I have disconnected everything from the board and reseated everything more than once. And checked all the wiring as well.

BTW- X2 doesn’t move if the limit switch is pressed or not.

Thanks in advance.

Before you try homing, you should confirm each endstop works right with M119.

2 Likes

Thanks! I did that last time, but forgot after re-wiring.

You were right, Jeff, thanks! My brain skipped a step in the process. The X2 limit switch wasn’t making connection on the DuPont connector near the stepper. I did the M119 and it was evident. After fixing the connector, I tested all four and the reported correctly. Then did the auto home and it worked perfectly.

That’s what I love about the MPCNC. The design is great and the support is even better. Thanks to everyone!

Can’t wait to cut something.

Tom

2 Likes