Der Froschkönig - Lowrider 3 in Oldenburg, Germany

Philipp sorry to hear about what you’re going through. Thank you for sharing your troubleshooting process and progress. Am learning lots…

The tight tolerance on the Core seems frustrating when people encounter it. But on the flip side, it’s been a helpful trip wire to detect when other issues/causes are at play. Hopefully any modifications will some how retain/add trip-wires/hints that something a) upstream went wrong, and/or b) something needs adjusting.

Future mods/versions with additional adjustments that guide (but not confuse) people to success sounds helpful.

The larger that gap the weaker the core. Everything has a tradeoff.

I think you will find a part printed more in tolerance there is not issue. I

Can’t really plan for printers to be that far out of square and still expect all the other things to fit as well.

Remember to check you XZ and YZ as well when you get a chance.

1 Like

Thanks Ryan, I went through the checks again, just to be sure and one of my other axis’ was off as well. Maybe my son moved the printer, he often watches it. Hard to say whether this was before or after the last core… Anyway, I am now printing my square again to check whether XY is still okay after doing the rest of the tuning, the rest was checked with the Prusa Guide. Will print a third core I guess.

Thanks for the picture Ryan, it shows me that my core definitely is off by so many mm… Frustrating, my wife is complaining because she does not want the printer to run over night. But eh, that’s the way it is. :stuck_out_tongue:

The thing that annoys me about the Mini that I actually like a lot is the first layer calibration that, because of the old, stupid sensor, varies from print to print. And the core needs a perfect first layer, otherwise there will be warping again.

P.S.: You should try my improved dust shoe. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Started the print five times until I had a good first layer. Prusa should have never sold this shitty Minda sensor…

Okay, 1% in, still looking good. No warping as of yet… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Move the printer ?
Aren’t they portable I travel with mine to work pretty much everyday. Haha
I hope your core stays solid and prints great!!!

1 Like

Well you’ve really got that dialled in! :rofl:

It’s really not my fault, the Mini (not Mini+) has got a bad probe (Minda) whose readings vary with temperature. There are s lot of posts about it. Really annoying.

Minimal lifting at the one corner again. The combination of a corner on the very edge that expands upwards seems to pull it up every time. The rest looks fine. Hoping that this time it works, if it doesn’t I don’t know what else to do. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Binder clip for that spot.

Qué?

@vicious1 I am printing the third core and I am still impressed, watching it print.

1 Like

One of these guys. Though if your print finishes without popping off, prolly won’t need it.

The bed is magnetic, I don’t think it would help much? Not sure though.

Core done, the screws are waiting. :smile:

4 Likes

I was having issues with this last month and I could not figure it out. I used the binder clips and it would just start to pull itself from the sheet. Hundreds have worked just fine previously. For me, the garage got way too cold and they would pull up. Only happened a tiny bit during the day. Not with the temps 10 degrees warmer at least, no issues again. Any chance your printer room is just really cold? If so, you can put a large box over it for prints like this.

2 Likes

16°C, so it should be fine. But you are right, I did notice when I open the window the draft makes problems. :smiley:

1 Like

That’s a nice looking core !!
Seems like we could almost create a dual color core gang.
“You down with the DCCG “
So when does the trial happen to see if it’s fixed.

1 Like

In 1 or 6 hours. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Reprinting the core was the ticket, it fits without tightening any bolt, no wobbling, no clicking, just a snug fit, it is like god Ryan intended. I am so relieved. The whole printing, just looking at it made my heart race and hoping that it might have been the problem.

The two cores next to each other. Regrettably there is no way of getting a good angle so that it does not seem the one is bigger than the other, but the left one is around 1.2mm taller because of the non-square XY.

I also made the effort of trying it with the old braces, that does not really matter (or it is not noticeable). They are a mm lower at the end, but besides that, there isn’t any noticeable change (at least not when not cutting. I am not going to try that).

Thanks for all of your suggestions, especially @vicious1 helping me out and @azab2c for doing my cuts to show me that it is really me. :smiley: Also thanks to @Avatario for making me print another core. I would have gone nuts if I hadn’t done it and lazy me would not have done it. Best 8€ ever spent I think. :slight_smile: And also thanks to bitingmidge for linking the Mini-Squaring. I went through all of it again and it paid out. Honorable mention to barry99705 and SupraGuy (forum only lets me use three mentions…).

Now I have to put it back together, but I won’t be able to do that in the next couple of days, easter is in-laws time. :smiley:

5 Likes

Nice. Congrats on figuring out and methodically working the problem! Learned a bunch from you, thank you!

3 Likes

Glad you got it solved! But only little chances now that I can sell you my i3 MK3S+ :rofl:

Nah, because I am going to buy the MK4 (but only after they fixed the early mistakes, not doing that again… Looking at you, Mini/Mini+). It’s not the Mini’s fault, but was mine. The shitty probe does not really matter, I could replace it for 30 bucks. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes