Der Froschkönig - Lowrider 3 in Oldenburg, Germany

Seems crazy that some have issue at 3.2mm, single flute2mm DOC, 20% step over, 480mm/min.

I bet if you grabbed a single flute, you could easily get a higher material removal rate. I bet that two flute was packing up instead of cutting at those speeds.

1 Like

Actually not. At 3k it made some nice chips, but it shows the limits of the LR flex-wise. :stuck_out_tongue: I slowed it down later to 1500mm/min - with 24k it just produces sawdust, down to 12k it’s working fine with 3mm DOC.

3 Likes

Where were you noticing the issue? If someone to be working on a new machine, seeing where the flex showed up for you could be helpful.

Z, X, Y?

You can see the core on Y (and a little bit X) move 1-2mm, the whole gantry twists with those forces. The core is tight. It’s nothing you can’t see. :smiley:

I made a video, I hope one can see that. It’s always a lot easier to see in reality.

1 Like

I’d love to see that :slight_smile: Where do your videos usually go?

Here you go, completely unedited and unlisted. You can see it especially in the red heart. The purple heart is end grain, there is no movement, the rest is face grain. I am also playing around with the speed to check when it happens. :slight_smile:

@vicious1 I volunteer for the new beam stress test. :stuck_out_tongue: My router still has reserves. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It lifts when going left and dives going right. That is wild. Any chance that hose is doing something when it moves?

It is cutting a lot though!!!

Very similar speeds, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNdod5hKfhs, twice as deep…in MDF. That is on a smaller MCPCNC no where near the size of your LR. So no doubt you are pushing the limits.

Dang that video makes me so happy to see…and the same time I want to make it better. Did you see the sides lifting or anything?

2 Likes

I didn’t check, to be honest, but if you are looking from the side you can clearly see the gantry is flexing with the whole core, no core wobbling on its own.

The lift/dive is a result of climb/conventional, depending on the direction. A 6mm at that speed does maximise those forces. :smile:

Exactly my first thought… Quite unintuitive :smile: But then I re-thought and saw that one of it is a climbing cut even… Crazy to see that the sound is not totally changing and that there are still chips flying :partying_face:

At the first contact I even engaged my safety squints and held my breath :joy:

2 Likes

1400W spindle. :sweat_smile: That thing is not slowing down and is never going to be the bottleneck as long as I am using a LowRider. :yum:

Quoting myself here. :smile:

My screen was too small to notice initially, I had to view multiple times, in Philipp’s
Video at 1:57 and 2:14 I noticed the Core pull/push away and towards the gantry, and during the earlier passes when material was being cut.

But, focusing on the EMT/tube, I didn’t notice as much movement on the left side. Just me, or is the right side of the gantry moving/kicking more? Seeing top of the gantry in future capture would be nice.

Do these DOC’s work for ply too? I’m still using the settings from the basic cam :roll_eyes:

And im starting a large job (f1 simrig in 18mm hardwood ply) im using a 6mm single flute bit with a 2 DOC

And according to Etslcam it’s going to take 6 hours :scream:

The LowRider can perform much better and faster than the slow “Starter” settings recommended in the docs on basic milling.

You can use a “feeds and speeds” calculator (there are both free and paid ones) to input your bit type, shape, diameter, length, number of flutes, proposed cutting speed, proposed depth of cut, etc, to see what it recommends instead. I use a paid one called G-Wizard Calculator.

I’ll try that, are there free ones you recommend?

I confess, I saw some video about the paid one I use, and was sold on it, and bought it before I ever tried any free ones.

I just googled “free cnc feeds and speeds calculator” and got these results.

2 Likes

Personally found the starter settings helpful with not breaking or dulling bits, until I became more comfortable with my LR3 and using EstlCam (or CAM software generally).

Since then, have been gathering a list of settings, including video links where possible, that others shared showing what’s possible with their machines…

Not a comprehensive calculator, but hope that helps!

2 Likes

The docs list f-zero as a good free one.

I 100% will say they are extremely complicated to get correct. Any single setting off by a single digit can change things 10X.

It is best if you just do test cuts. They only take a minute or two each and you know what your machine can handle, then you compile a list of your own like AZA’s. Jsut follow the milling basics and get your depth of cut set1-3x teh diameter, the keep increasing the speed until your tolerances suffer.

No one’s numbers are every going to work for your build exactly.

How do you account for slotting vs a heavy or light roughing? what about drilling. I promise if you learn to embrace test cuts life will be easier, so what if your cuts take 2o minutes longer at first. Just slowly ramp up as you learn and understand what and how to make a good cut.

3 Likes

If you are looking for an endgoal, my 2’x4’ lowrider is slightly faster than this, https://youtu.be/qNdod5hKfhs?si=IUAKJYEKoIMLHm_c notice the tolerance requirement for that part.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the advice

I’ll look further into it after I finish this simrig. But I’m going to change the DOC to 1x diameter. That will speed up my cut by about 2.5x.

Than I’ll do test cuts.

I wish there was a ‘standard’ test like I have on my Laser. Where I burn a grit at different speeds and % of power. I test on every material.

I will have to try to make something like that for my LR too.

The material I got for these cuts was quite expensive and I don’t want to risk ruining it with to much experimenting on a job. I’ll do that on some scraps

You mean you will be moving faster?

Material removal rate is the best way to talk about speed, that is how fast your remove material but that is a hard number to calculate.

You want as deep as possible while still clearing chips, in slots you want to do 1-2x diameter, in pocketing you can do full depth of cut.

Moving the machine faster is not always better. It is such a delicate balance to get things to removal as much material possible. But it is very easy to get a cut done.

Focus on getting perfect cuts, then ever so slowly creep up on doing them faster.

1 Like