Latest version on github. win-a-kobalt-router-4-5 motivated me to try out some things I’ve been thinking about. Sharing what I did, hoping it helps others, and to get feedback/suggestions on what to do better? Cheers!
Attempt #1 - Meh…
- Practical small (i.e. fast) CNC and Printer project to help learn/practice calibrating CNC and Printer. Try out pocket holes, engraving, contour cut, basic inlay, and color filling.
- Support my beverage.
- Includes Metric and Freedom markers.
- kobalt-mat.stl model
- kobalt-mat-profile.dxf Mat design exported from Fusion 360 sketches I created.
- EstlCam project files:
- mat-engr.e10 - Pocket holes
- mat-hole.e10 - Engrave
- mat-cont.e10 - Contour Cut (includes tabs)
- NOTE: Used short file names because long filenames don’t render/execute correctly on my ESP3D-Marlin setup.
- QUESTION: Created file per operation. Please let me know if there’s a way to have single EstlCam project file, that contains multiple layers and/or multiple groups of Cam operations?
- 220 grit sand smooth, vac and microfiber clean debris/dust.
- 2 coats of spray Shellac
- Pocket, Engrave, Contour…
- Pocketed using 1.2mm Nano Blue Coat carbide bit (from 40pc set of various bits)
- Engraved using 30deg offset V carving carbide bit
- Contour cut using 1/8" single flute upcut carbide bit (V1E Shop).
- Print PLA parts for inlay…
- Test fit inserting inlay parts. Had to reprint PLA ring. Take pic far enough back to hide shoddy cleanup…
- Color fill with Acrylic paint. Needs to dry, sand clean, then Shellac again…
- 320-400 grit Sand to remove rough edges and stains.
- Should’ve engraved deeper, was 0.4mm
- Need to adjust PLA part height and/or Pocket depth. 3D parts too thin.
- Should adjust PLA gap tolerance for inner parts. Gaps were big for inner parts.
- Should update design so 3 corners are same radius. No-one is likely to use this for grouting and care that 6mm and 8mm 45deg chamfers were intentional.
- Consider heating in reflow oven to smooth PLA?