CNC pre-buying questions

Thanks, AVSIT.
I will

There has not been a part sized for 1" conduit. Conduit is measured by ID, and the OD is as youā€™ve seen, very large. It is a common mistake, so I am trying to make that clear.

The conduit can vary, but it is generally better than that. It should be closer to 23.5mm OD. The rigid conduit is bigger, because it has the same ID (3/4", 19mm) but is thicker. The best guide I can give you is that Ryan designed a 25.4mm version because the 25mm version wasnā€™t good enough. So my guess is it needs to be between 23.3 and 23.7mm. I have never tested that though. If the pieces are oval in profile, you might be able to twist it to get away with more irregularities.

Jeffeb3, it looks like part of your response was cut off.
Or you said the parts wonā€™t work.

Yeah, sorry. I hit reply while still typing.

To be truthful, there are a lot of things the parts havenā€™t been sized for. Rail car axles, fishing rods, free-weight bars, pretzel sticksā€¦ the list is pretty long. :clown_face:

FYI, I won my high school competition for listing the most units of pressure. length of liquid and weight or mass per areaā€¦ I was into hectares and varieties of soda by the time I was doneā€¦

Totally missed who started this topic. Couldnā€™t figure out why a new build used different feet.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming with @larryfosterā€™s buying guide.

Yeah. I did a little thread jack, but it seemed pertinent to the most recent questions being asked.

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering if I had a senile blond with ADHD moment.
I re-read the info and it seems I should have measured inside diameter.
I measured OD

NO!!! OD! Always OD! You had it right the first time.

What gets tricky is tubes and pipes are commonly sized differently (one is by ID, the other by OD). But if youā€™ve got calipers, measure OD.

1 Like

Blockquote Rails ā€“

-Steel or stainless steel only, aluminum will not work for long (high point loads from the bearings will wear in a flat spot making it a loose fit) and it is about 3 times less rigid. The LowRider CNC requires Stainless rails.

-We use either steel EMT conduit (sold by ID), or stainless steel tubes (sold by OD. 0.049ā€³ wall thickness seems to be the sweet spot Q&D test) on the MPCNC.

Right. The EMT (a ā€œpipeā€, because people are interested in what goes through it), is sold by ID, but the C parts (for Conduit) are for 23.5mm OD material. (3/4" is only 19.05mm).

Stainless Tubes (because they tend to be structural members) are sold by OD + wall thickness.

EMT is nicely standardized for construction, so thereā€™s little issue with wall thickness.

1 Like

Iā€™m not very smart and still confused.
I apologize and appreciate your patience and indulgence.

I know the printed parts are 25.4,25 and 23.5.
Given the 3/4 pipe I measured had OD that varied from 22.33-24.65 mm which parts package shoulf I get?

I was planning on getting 1" EMT but that seems out of the question

3/4" EMT is supposed to be 23.5mm OD. Even says so in the shop description of the 23.5mm set of printed parts:

Now, not all EMT is created equal, and as youā€™ve found, there is some variation. Thankfully, the design can handle most of it. You should probably be more concerned about getting straight lengths of conduit than zeroing in on exactly 23.5mm OD. If the conduit is elliptical, you can also rotate it until it engages the bearings properly.

And youā€™re smart enough to ask questions before you spend your money. Donā€™t sell yourself short! :slight_smile: And this stuff confuses everybody the first time they run in to it. It may not seem like it, but thatā€™s because thereā€™s a great core of helpful folks around here who are more than happy to help out and share what they do know. :smiley:

6 Likes

Dang I love this reply!

6 Likes

Thank all for your kindness and indulgence.
Given those measurements, which printed parts would you suggest?

Youā€™re right about all the great people here.

1 Like

Download the Burly C plans for 23.5 mm OD conduit. Print out one foot, then take it to the hardware store and confirm a snug but easy fit. Then buy conduit.

Delete any downloads you may have done earlier that were of a different size or you might accidentally switch back to them and print the wrong size parts. Ask me how I know!

6 Likes

Thanks, Marion

I donā€™t have a printer or know anyone who does.

I was ordering everything through Ryan

1 Like

It does sound like you identified the 3/4 conduit. Just odd to see such a huge range of measurements. Mind if I ask what you measured with?

The people at Ace Hardware used their calipers and one guy was all over the board.
Another took some which is one set I gave you.
Another set I took at another place with my calipers

2 Likes

Personally, I never trust a store employee or any of their measuring devices. Most of the employees at Loweā€™s only ever use their tape measures to scratch their back.

Take your calipers and measure the pipe yourself. Only trust those numbers. A 2 mm difference could easily be obtained by not having the caliper jaws perpendicular to the pipe being measured. Letā€™s not forget that calipers have to be zeroed out properly, and with as often as employees tend to drop stuff, I bet theirs were out of zero.

1 Like