CNC pre-buying questions

Thank you for allowing me to be here and your patience and indulgence while I ask some (probably) dumb questions.

Please forgive the length.

Recently, I decided I had an interest in CNC engraving/routing.

No experience or knowledge of this so I watched hundreds of YouTube videos.

Because of affordability, initially, I looked at the little 3018 Chinese machines until I decided the work area was too small to do much.

Looked at several other kits and stumbled on to the MPCNC and am really interested.

I am interested in using the machine to make things not tinkering with the machine.

I have no knowledge in electronics. Will I be able to make this work?

The spot I have picked out in my small shop has a space of 30"X24". What is the maximum work area I can fit in there?

Would it work if I had my work table to be a drop down that I could raise when I wanted to work on a project?

Since I don’t have access to a printer, I expect to buy a kit with all the parts here. Besides conduit and router/spindle, do I need anything else?

What board should I consider?

Since I don’t have a tablet or laptop ad would prefer not to buy one, can I run this with an offline controller and a speed stick or SD card? I have seen this on some of the smaller machines. I thought I saw on here that was possible.

(I do have a Kindle if that would work)

How difficult to add a laser and printer later?

This machine is primarily for hobby work with the possibility of making some things to sell at craft shows or flea markets. Mostly wood.

Thank you, in advance, for all your help.

MPCNC, you’ll be able to cut ABOUT 13x19 in that space.

If you don’t want to tinker, you’ll want the ENTIRE kit from V1 for the MPCNC. This thing is pretty well sorted at this point, and you can get all the trouble shooting in a fairly direct fashion here on the board. For what it’s worth, I don’t remember needing any, after I had spent a few hours reading through the forum. Most of the trouble I remember was builders getting in their own way.

BUY AND MEASURE YOUR CONDUIT FIRST!!!

Drop down tables are great as long as the parts where you screw the CNC feet into are rigid relative to each other.

Conduit, router, kit are all you need, plus some screws for the feet. Nice-to-haves are a router speed control, drag chain, maybe a look through other builds to see what you like.

The board will largely be dictated by what features you want on there. I got the RAMBO because I wanted dual endstops (you need the extra driver). I added a diode laser later and hooking it up to the board was easy. Had to find the right pin and a suitable ground, presto-chango, laser action. Some boards (ramps, I think) you need to remap the pin in the software.

A good cnc will be a mediocre printer, I think. I’m not sure how difficult it is to switch back and forth, but I wouldn’t bother. If you start making things to sell, you might consider taking some of that cash and using it to build the MP3DP with your MPCNC. Alternatively, consumer 3d printers can be had for under 200 bucks now.

LCD with SD reader can be added to the kit, no problem there.

And by the way, if you decide to go forward with this, BUY AND MEASURE YOUR CONDUIT FIRST!!! :wink:

2 Likes

Tony, thank you for the prompt answers.
I think I will buy and measure my conduit first.

5 Likes

Lol, been a rash of people making assumptions about conduit size lately and getting it wrong. Extra important if you’re paying for the printed parts. Hopefully somebody will find this thread in the future, too. Save some pain. Good luck deciding on the build!

1 Like

I was thinking about seeing if I could get stainless.
I know EMT is readily available.
Appreciate the help.
I’m not very smart or clever.

Well, that makes two of us[quote=“larryfoster, post:5, topic:14556, full:true”]
I’m not very smart or clever.
[/quote]

Make that 3 of us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here! But ooh booy it feels good when you (one day) get it up and running! Honestly, I didn’t know anything about this stuff before I bought an used Ender 3 to print the parts. The road has been very bumpy, but after half a year - I managed to get my crown, and the bliss was profound.

3 Likes

Just making sure you do have a computing device to make designs and prepare the gcode. Very difficult to do this without being able to manage those two digital literacy skills.

There are online tools that will allow you do do this. Not sure about what a Kindle is capable of, but knowing a design program either 2D like Illustrator or Inkscape and a CAM program like EstlCAM will be important.

You could run the MPCNC without an external controller, just the LCD and use a memory card to upload files.

1 Like

Thanks for checking, Marion.
I do have several desktops foe design and get the gcodes.
My “shop” is small and not much more than a shed
I’d prefer not to drag a desktop and monitor back and forth.

I’m on a bit of a budget and would prefer not to add that into the cost at this time

1 Like

Do you have a recommended one I can check out, please?

Also, spindle or Dewalt router?

Add the one from the store. It’s arduino stuff, fairly generic, priced well.

The dewalt 660 is a noisy sob, no question about that, but for your application I think it’s the easy choice. It’s also fairly cheap and has a warranty. To finish up, it’s the officially recommended tool. That said, spindles are quiet and sometimes have speed control, but will be drowned out by the noise of your dust collection and the material cutting, anyway.

On top of that, since you can’t print parts, getting a mount for it might be challenging. If you find one in thingiverse.com, you can pay someone have that printed, but I’m not sure how you’d go about guaranteeing it fit your spindle first. I’ve had mixed results with stuff from there.

2 Likes

Almost ready to order but had a thought.
With the coronavirus situation, if I order on Monday, will there be any delay?

I still need to measure my EMT

Also, with some re-arranging, I have a new area 36"X42"
How big can I make my MPCNC now?

Thank you

PS: I’d like to post my order before I order to be sure I’m not missing anything

25x31 about? Ryan is in CA, so if you’re in the states and it’s in the shop, you should be fine for that.
I’ve seen people post their orders before, works out well.
BUT MEASURE THAT CONDUIT!!!

Thanks for the fast response, Tony

Because I’m retired and rural I don’t venture out a lot.
I will be out Monday AM so that will give me a chance to measure conduit

Already have my calipers in my truck

2 Likes

Good idea. I pretty much never had anything to measure with. Chucked a free hf tape in the trunk.

I want to get everything from Ryan
Here is what I think I need and, possibly, some things I don’t.

I’d appreciate any clarification on additions and deletions.

Mostly Printed CNC Parts Bundle

rambo 1.3 is the option right now since 1.4 is sold out

MPCNC Printed Parts - (size to be determined) - Burly

Full Graphic Smart Controller, Big

sd card

Emergency Stop Button

Tiny Touch Plate

BITS?

300mm T8 LeadScrew and Nut?

ROUTER or Spindle-does a mount come with the kit or do i need to make provision?

Power plug and switch?

fan?

mini rambo terminal blocks?

Full Graphic Smart Controller Case I found this on Thingiverse but see no way to buy it. (Ryan mentions it)

It will be in stock in a few days, worth the wait as the 1.3 requires an expensive adapter for the LCD.

It really is pretty easy just to use a power strip and its built in switch but, either way you prefer.

Get at least a couple single flutes.

Comes with with hardware bundle.

You can get the 660 mount with the printed parts bundle.

Again, a power strip is easy and cheap.

Nope.

Nope you are getting a full rambo.

I do not sell these at this time.

Ryan, thank you very much for the prompt answer.

I have no problem waiting for the new Rambos to get in.
Perhaps by the time I get back from measuring my conduit Monday you may be in stock

Getting excited.

I spent some time yesterday moving stuff around to make space.
Since I have a hole there, I may as well start making a table.

Sorry to be such a pain.
Since my new space will allow me to have a work space of 25"X31", is that practical?
In other words, in your experiences, do I need that much space?
Not sure what all I might build but it seems to be big enough for cabinet doors or fair size signs
Thank you for your patience