CNC-cut table for LowRider v3 (parameterized, for cutting full sheets+)

I bet its the same stuff

Yep, sounds like you’d be good to go.

Thx! Good info! :blush:

The following helpful documentation was written and posted by @steved:

Note: The table cuts and build remain the same for all of the following X-gantry lengths.

EMT TUBE LENGTH for X-gantry – FOR TABLES WITH METAL STRUT SIDES:
Note: Testing has not been performed for use with Optional Urethane Wheels.

If you already have an X-gantry size other than listed, you can cut your strut plates to your choice of size as listed below. You would then need to buy new EMT/tubing and cut to match your choice.

All of the gantry sizes listed below will work with the LR3 adjustable table extenders published on Printables (September 19, 2023).

A. 1425 mm (56.1″) X-gantry length, based on using LR3 non-adjustable table extenders (wood or printed)

B. 1435 mm (56.5″) X-gantry length, based on using LR3 HIDE/PROTECT non-rail side Y AXIS BELTS inside metal strut. This option brings the non-rail side Y Bearing Wheel Bracket closer to the edge of the metal strut to aid in the installation of the mod.

C. 1400 mm (55.1″) X-gantry length, based on using LR3 table extenders (wood or printed, or adjustable). This option works by not installing the two MDF 1/2″-thick spacers before installing the metal strut as per plans. This allows LowRider makers who are building this table and already have a full standard LR3 full sheet build to quickly move to the new table. To use the full area of the design, installing option A or B and the two 1/2″ spacers can be done at a later time.

Hi Doug,

I’m pretty new to Fusion 360 so I may be missing something in the parameters, but I’ve been trying to shrink the design to template my 30 x 60 cutting area sized LR3.

I’m using CNC Table for LR3, METAL RAIL (parametric, full sheet) v8.f3d

When I enter the cutting area, the Y spars look roughly correct, but the X ribs remain very wide. When I look at the formula: Pattern_Length_for_X_ribs = Y_Spar_Length - ( 1 * Thickness_Plywood_Material ).

It seems to me that the X-rib width should be dependent on something other than the Y Spars? (Unless this is the pattern for the notches?). Anyway - I see where the Y spars adjust to my cut dimensions, but I can’t seem to get the X ribs to adjust. Any idea which parameter I’m missing in this?

Thanks for any guidance. I’m thinking the X ribs are coming out about 19 inches too long.

In looking at the screenshot, it also captures a wonky Y Spar spacing.

I am away from my computer right now, so I can’t take a shot at modifying the original file for you at this moment. I did later publish a another similar table that uses a different approach at the parameter options (hopefully a better approach), and I released various different sizes of that newer table. The link below is to a smaller size of it. It may be more well-suited for you to tweak the parameters in that one, and then the only thing left is to modify the X ribs so that they accommodate the metal strut.

Here’s a quote from there about the improvement to the parameter approach:

Compared to my original table work , these “version 2” tables have some parameter tweaks intended to make the tables more robust for scaling as needed and to make it easier to edit the number of X ribs and number of Y spars just by editing the parameters with those names.

Attached is a F360 parametric design for a 30"x60" CNC-cut Table for LR3, but it is for WOOD RAILS.

The output from it could be edited in a 2D vector graphics program to make it suitable for metal rails. I have not yet made a 3D model at this size for METAL RAILS.

CNC Table for LR3, WOOD RAIL, parametric, v2, 30’‘x60’', 3.625in tall v7.f3d.zip (414.8 KB)

2 Likes

Closer. I’ll see how this looks scaled to 40.5" by 60" cut area.

1 Like

One of the challenges with parametric designs, is that, sadly, in F360, “moves” are not something that have any in-built history of their own, and therefore cannot be parametric. This means if there are any standard “moves” of components or bodies within the document timeline, the whole project is thwarted from being 100% totally parametric. If you change a parameter then things affected by a “move” don’t adjust their location automatically. So after changing the parameter, you may have to measure how far the item needed to move, and move it accordingly.

Since part of the design I did, sadly, has a move or two in it, this issue arises.

Thus, it is helpful to know that when mutiple copies of a body or component are being created in a linear array based on the location of the first one, you only have to re-move the first one. For the Y spars, the first one is on the left from the front.

And sadly, sometimes the parametric parts actually move the wrong way. Very odd behavior, but fully parametric is very, very hard.

If something is not working, make small changes. Instead of making it 4’ bigger, make it 1’ bigger and see if it still works, then make in another 1’ bigger. That tends to work better in fusion for some reason.

3 Likes

I was also adapting the Metal rail table from Doug to my desired form factor of 1000mm x 1600mm cutting area. I ran into the same issue with the weird shrinking.

I THINK I managed to fix it by constraining the longer and shorter angled part going up to the rail with a custom parameter where I just entered the original length given in Doug’s model.

I say i think it solves it because I still have some measuring to do for my specific LR3 after putting the struts on yesterday and making sure the F360 model dimensions will work out in real life. Im also just learning F360 coming from Sketchup so it may be hacky but the table looks good with this modification.

My planned table for 1000x1600mm (still debating metal/wood rails)

2 Likes

Thanks guys so much! I appreciate the information. It’s all helpful. I’m mainly interested in the DXFs, so I’m using all this to try and create my ribs and spars. The rest I can do on my table saw. (Let’s get real. I could probably do most of this on the table saw, but it wouldn’t be nearly as much fun. :grinning:) My painfully small Fusion 360 skillset is expanding slowly.

1 Like

One thing I wish I had done differently, was to not cut the width off the bottom skin, and not accordingly move the Y spars inward from the edges of the top skin and spoil board. In the recent 30x60 table design, I undid this. It’s not a deal breaker, I just wish I had those outer spars holding the top up right near the edge.

2 Likes

Hey Doug,

I just want to say thanks for desinging this and posting it.
I also want to say thanks for all the work and time you are putting into helping people with how busy you are due to the floods etc.

Chris.

3 Likes

I am just now editing the Fusion 360 archive files for the various sizes of tables I have offered, to fix a couple of things. I don’t yet have new files to upload, but hope to soon.

1. I am making all the designs work without any “moves” in the history (since moves cannot be controlled parametrically).
  2. I want to revise the design so the Y-spars support the sides more closely.

PS: I have realized that a “move” can be OK if it is late in the history (near the end), and also does not have anything downstream of it (in the history) that depends on the “moved” item to calculate its own location.

3 Likes

Are dead links for me. 404 file not found

Will fix it.

OK, I fix those links. They are downloading for me now. Perhaps try again. Thanks for the heads up.

Yep, all good now :+1:

1 Like

I need a parametric table too. Can’t achieve flatness even in some parts of the middle of mine. Awesome Doug as always!

1 Like