Chameleon owners out there?

I saw another thread that mentioned the 3D Chameleon filament changer, which I’ve seen numerous times, but never jumped on, as I don’t have a lot of need for multicolor prints, and have been generally able to just get away with manual changes when I did.

I actually used to work with the creator, Bill Steele, back in the day, and I know him to be a good guy and super-smart, so I am already apt to trust it works, but I wanted to see if there were any folks here who had first-hand experience with the 3D Chameleon.

At a couple hundred bucks it’s not cheap (especially for those of us using Ender 3s) but since I have a few E3s, it might be fun to dedicate one to multi-color printing.

Would love to hear feedback from anyone who’s used this…

I tried real hard to have a chat with him about it at RMRRF, but the times I went by he had a crowd and was pretty busy. Seems like a good idea and well implemented. I am following along to see what others think.

Sorry you didn’t get a chance to meet Bill. I’m sure you’d like him…he’s built some crazy cool stuff over his career, including this:

and this:

though the latter apparently didn’t take off, at least not the hardware, which might be something to take into consideration with the Chameleon. Then again, with the lower price, there’s less at stake, so…

I saw it at RMRRF. I talked to him a little. He showed how you just beed gcode to move the head to a well place microswitch. The microswitch causes the chameleon to change filaments.

My guess is that it works well, but there are some fiddly bit regarding getting the right amount of retraction and the right temperatures.

It was printing, and I didn’t see a purge tower. So that is neat.

It is always hard to judge performance from the expert’s printer. But if I had a reason to do multi-color prints, I would try it.

1 Like

The MMU3 from Prusa has got a wipe to infill or wipe to part you are not going to see later, which I think is pretty neat also.

2 Likes

Nero 3D chatting with Bill about Chameleon at RMRRF

Beginning of the video shows off a Lulzbot Viking 3 optimized for Lulzbot’s own print farm. Some interesting design features.

3 Likes

I’m sure Bill is a nice guy and smart, but I’ve been struggling to make it work for over a week. I’ve built two Voron’s, have been a working engineer for 35 years, so I’m not inexperienced. Most of the problem is the lack of decent documentation and many fiddly parts, all that have to be tuned correctly. Any one thing not right and it jams or doesn’t load. but the re is no step by step instruction to get the things right in order. I’m about ready to write it off.

1 Like

Short: https://www.3dchameleon.com v4 officially releases April at RMRRF 2024. Seems like a time and cost effective multi color/material solution? Some auto calibration added to mk4. Isolated components so no need to add switches/steppers-driver to your Printer’s controller board. Each 3D Chameleon supports 4 to 1 switching. Can daisy chain and combine to support switching up to 32 colors/materials… FAQ

Long:
Anyone happy Chameleon v3 or v4 users? (Known as Chameleon MK3 and Chameleon MK4, similar naming to Prusa).

Chameleon’s been mentioned a few times recently, e.g while chatting about ERCF https://forum.v1e.com/t/ercf-enraged-rabbit-carrot-feeder/39595, by @Jonathjon and others. So, dug around…

Chris has great overview and assembly walkthrough… Chris mentions bunch of tips throughout that seem helpful to ensure a successful working build.

Price for material and labor to install (“Less than 1 hour to install” claimed on website), seems more attractive than ERCF v2 given am not able to find any v2 kits yet.

• Print the Parts (Chris recommends PETG) Printables
  • Channel, infrequent updates, https://www.youtube.com/@3d_chameleon
  • From https://www.3dchameleon.com
    • $179 + shipping/taxes
    • “Less than 1 hour to install”
    • “Recent videos are talking about the Mk4 3DChameleon. See our FAQ page for details on the Mk4 and when it will be available. In short, the Mk3 that we are shipping right now is the identical hardware to the Mk4 base unit. The Mk4 will have additional optional accessories and new firmware when it is officially released at the Rocky Mountain RepRap Fest in April, 2024.”

I’ll confess, there’s some multicolor kitschy things I’d like to print. Mainly just as a ploy to get the family interested… However, am hoping to mostly use for multiple material functional/utility parts.

The relatively non invasive design seems very smart to me, can add to almost any Printer, MK4 firmware’s uses TMC sensorless homing features, detect rise in current draw to auto detect where filament is. So, latest firmware should be much easier to setup and auto calibrate.

So many technically great things. Assuming it works great, my biggest issue is with the color and shape of the green Y part. Hopefully that can be printed too.

If you wanted to add bang-for-buck multi material capability to your existing printer, while considering material and time cost, then, would you get this or something else?

1 Like

I read about this (mostly because of your posts) and I think that this seems easier to assemble then the ercf.

I am on X1C and the AMS and with the latest firmware it’s more quiet and less prone to filament getting entagled.

Which one do you like the best?

1 Like

Nice. I like what Bambu are making available to Customers that may not have time, or interest in building machines. A 3D printer that just works is great for so many Customers.

Mentioned on the ERCF v2 topic, but, as much as I like to build things, that project feels too early for me to try at this time.

Currently leaning towards Chameleon
But was hoping to hear more feedback on Chameleon from folks here?

Just learning about this, and needing auto rewind spool mechanism, and/or “buffer” for filament to temporarily reset when not loaded.

SeeMeCNC used to sell these injection molded splitters. It was their way for multiple filaments. Each color added an extruder. I like this. I thought the chameleon had a cutter and is what made it really different. Since I have not seen a cutter, yet it looks like it is just saving half the steppers.

Now I am interested in step 3 of Chris’s video series to see how the tuning goes. If I just want two spools might just be easier to add a splitter and an extruder.

1 Like

The closer the splitter is to the hot end the less the rewind is needed. If you have it on the gantry rewind would not be an issue.

I would like two colors on at least one of my printers.

1 Like

translation: “here let me do all the google work and nutshell it for you on a platter” → THANKS! Your posts are always very thorough with a great overview and comparison. good stuff!

I am at my limit for fiddling with things. I’d just buy this one for sub $200 so I didn’t have to logistics all the parts. I would probably just be lazy and have it do auto changes between prints of different materials so I don’t have to reload by hand… TPU(if possible or maybe ABS) → PETG → PLA → ASA. or maybe only 2 colors of two different materials. ERCF does 8 or whatever you want to build, but it looks super complicated to start with, though ERCF has klipper integration and chameleon does not. I wonder if there is any further development going on there with chameleon. That would be a no brainer if this could integrate with klipper.

1 Like

I am still waiting for my MMU. :sweat_smile:

It can’t be far away… it’s working on the 3.9

https://x.com/FilamentFrenzy/status/1754356788344840685?s=20

1 Like

They had an update a few days ago. It’s looking good. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like