Bust Out Another Thousand my Cnc and boat projects

*major spelling and grammar warning. *

Well I have finally got to the stage of work that I had initialled built the mpcnc for then figured the lr3 was better suited. But anyways here I am pulling out the old permanent carpet from my old Malibu boat I have been restoring. Who puts permanent carpet in a boat for starters !! Anyways I am doing a Eva foam flooring. Plus some other upgrades like re upholster dash panels and build some speaker boxes that have to fit in tight spots.
Well carpets out floor glue is all scraped up and I have a couple layers of gel coat I tinted and waxed up on now. And it’s time for the fun part. Digitize the floor and section it for border and multi pieces. (So if I need I can remove fuel tank lid with out cutting)
Ther is going to be a lot of probably weird photos and some really ugly things lol.
First off I got a speed controlled cheapo router for the lr3. Trammed up my very odd portable table and did some test cuts.
I went with basic cheap v cut router bit the ones with two blades. Material is 5mm Eva foam floor teek texture surface. I went 18mms 2.5doc and speed was set at 5 on my router I have no rpm yet.

6 Likes

Here is a example of my side panel I have built a fibreglass box for.
I layed the panel on the table at work and traced and broke out the old protractor. Then put it all into freecad. And cut a template out of thin ulay plywood. I was close but had one angle a couple gldegrees off so I modified and went on.
The sub has to fit overtop another sub a 15” foot massager for me the driver.
So I have a 8” dvc skar audio and it wanted .34 sq ft for a sealed box (which I don’t like sealed ones but I feel the birds kids and critters will utilize the port I am sure) anyways I thinck that was 9liter water volume I managed to squeeze 11 litres volume in. I used un waxed gel coat and a lot of cloth.

4 Likes

This is the start of the floor design and idea. I went with a 4mm border on edging and a 2mm for hatches. I did this so I could mix up the seams and not have to align one perfect. (That’s the idea anyways ).

6 Likes

Awesome project and great work! Keep us posted!!!

1 Like

Awesome!

This was also one of the reasons I built my LR3, to be able to cut some SeaDek.

I bought some cheap foam to test the cuts with but it was impossible to get that foam to lay flat.

I was pretty much at the point that I had given up without having a vacuum table. I tried a lot of thing to try to get the foam to stick down to my table (blue tape/superglue, etc), but nothing would stick to whatever backing they used

Where did you get your foam? Was it delivered flat or rolled? Did you have trouble getting it to lay flat during milling?

3 Likes

I have the same stuff I put on my swim grid 4 years ago. It has held up surprisingly well for the price I got it on Amazon. It’s pretty hard to find the non cut stuff these days it seems. It is in a rolled package right now I am going to use the clear glue kind of sticky tape. I get it at the dollar store it’s similar to that alien tape.

That’s a project that is near to my heart - keep the progess pics coming!

Excellent!

3 Likes

Wow! â €
Glad to see that we have such talented guysâ €

1 Like

Not much update from last night.
I printed a pen holder that someone on here made I think paolo was the name on the file. And started plotting my pattern to cut out and see how it fits and looks. I need to grab some more tape and ulay ply wood. Also have some single stage car paint getting color matched made up.

2 Likes

Not much update I drew the lower left and fuel lid panel and then cut it out to try the fit and boy was I off haha.
Took a couple revisions and tests but I have those two dialed in and now I am into the right rear.
I have to fix some radius and a bit of a boat hull taper but it’s coming along.

Ok, Thanks.

If you don’t mind and the cut works out ok for you, can you send over some more details about which listing of the foam you bought, and how well it held down and with what?

I was able to get the bits to cut fine, and have all of that worked out, I just did not have any luck getting my foam to reliably stay flat.

I even left it out in direct sunlight in 105ÂşF weather all day. As soon as it cooled off, it curled right back up.

1 Like

Hey mike yes of course I will take pics of the tape I am going to use and I will link the listing.
The stuff without cuts in it goes really fast when it shows up. I had 3 color options 4 months ago and when I went to buy I was kinda forced into a lighter color that I wanted for flooring. If I can help in anyway I certainly will
I will be the Guinea pig

1 Like

I bought mine last year from here

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RFPXY4X

I was mostly trying to test the process before committing to buying the more expensive SeaDek or other branded material, but ran into a wall with the waviness of the product, and haven’t been able to make my way back to it yet.

I did find another user that faced similar issues, but I don’t believe he’s active here anymore

In his case, masking tape worked, but mine is too stiff to fix it with only tape around the edges

1 Like

I believe we have a very similar product
EVA Foam Boat Flooring Sheet with… Amazon.ca

I put this on my swim platform and the kids jump off like thousands of times a year it has held up really good.
I don’t see what makes the name brand stuff that much better imo. It’s probably the same stuff just more color options and more layer options.
My thought is if I have my boat floor digitized and my panels all finalized. If one panel gets messed up I will just cut another one. I mean I have 4 rolls and it was like 300 cad. Or something so really it would be like 50-60 bucks and a easy recut to replace if it only lasts 4 years ish. Plus then you get to change your pattern and ideas anyways

I was like “why is my core so loose”.Well I guess it’s print a core tonight lol. Original was a print fail save anyways.

Oh :poop: That’s a hell of a crack there LOL. Don’t believe there is any limping that one along lol.

We are almost back in business for the record it was a major delam issue and I should not have really tried to fix and should have just started back from scratch.
It took me 5 revisions to get my right rear panel to what I think is ok.
And the captains foot are is close now so I think that should work better than I just have the hallway to sort.

3 Likes

Well I got the template done it took about 40 or so revisions for small fixes. Core is installed and working great. I have a fuel tank seam I have to finish filleting, I stuffed a airline in there with seam seal so I can just pull the air hose and it will separate the panels for removal if I ever have to.
Also got my sub box side panel template done. The end is near it’s 30 degrees today and it’s dock install party time today.This is the best tape I have found for sticking pieces down. It’s at the dollar stores. Also was on the roof last night and got the northern lights pretty decent.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve read Day of the Triffids and remember how that started. Just saying…

2 Likes