Another New LR3 Build in Australia

Ok,
CNC firmware reloaded with the firmware changes as follows.
board changed, build environment changed and the endstops inverted so they show as OPEN when open.
(yeah I am a little OCD)

and the TFT works. It takes about 30 seconds and then an error comes up that says something like connection error all low. (on the TFT, click past that and you can use the TFT as per normal)

connect PRONTERFACE and the error is
TESTING X Connection … ERROR: ALL LOW
TESTING Y Connection … ERROR: ALL LOW
TESTING Y2 Connection … ERROR: ALL LOW
TESTING Z Connection … ERROR: ALL LOW
TESTING Z2 Connection … ERROR: ALL LOW

but then running M119 and manually crossing wires (as the END STOPS are not soldered on yet, i will do that tomorrow) i am getting some reaction to the crossed wires, so positive step.

Progress, thank god.

I will start soldering on the endstops now and see how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks for every ones help!

2 Likes

You meant Jeff, right? Though in this context it might just as well be the same. :yum:

This is saying the skr isn’t talking to the tmc drivers. Maybe they aren’t powered or maybe they are set to the wrong ones. Or maybe the electronics aren’t configured. Since you have a different board, I am not sure.

Funny. But maybe too far for some people.

And FWIW, Chris is doing all the hard work here. Not me or God.

3 Likes

Ok, that makes sense as the board is only being powered via the USB port. (using the little jumper that allows this to happen) and I suspect that the 5v would not power the driver side of things. I am getting the 24V power supply, probably, today via Amazon, so I should be able to start looking at the drivers and directions (as i am using the SKR V3 EZ board, so its probably going to takes some work), maybe tomorrow, but most likely next week as the CNC is at work (space issues etc)

LOL, that is the first time my name has been even in the sentence as god. Normally it in a sentence like “go to hell” bwhahahahahahahaha

Ok, last night after work I got all the limit switches soldered on, so today I will mount them and print a new Z endstop set. Lastly I think I will end up changing the board side of the endstop wires, I am using standard hookup wires, but the terminals on the board have much smaller pins. So I either change the hookup female ends for the smaller ones supplied with the board or maybe a little bit of hot glue to avoid the vibration of the unit causing issues.
I understand that the endstops are not really needed for use, except for startup and squaring. I expect to not leave the CNC on the table and pack it up after every use as the table is going to be my main work bench for everything. So the endstops are going to be important.

So, i have to say I am a bit relieved that it seems that the board is working, as trying to get the SKR PRO in aus is really hard and i have run out of “fun” money, the whole project would have to wait for 6 months for me to save up the money for the replacement.

1 Like

So now i have managed to get the board to start to behave and i am looking at getting the LR3 to make noise and move, i have a question about the firmware i am using on the TFT35.
I got it form here ( Releases · V1EngineeringInc/BIGTREETECH-TouchScreenFirmware · GitHub )
and i have loaded the CNC.TFT35 version.

When i was doing the research and recently while watching videos to get clues to solve the board problems i am having i was expecting to see this
( from here DIY CNC Router under $600 (Upgrades) - YouTube - its an upgrade video for LR2 )

I have seen this interface on several videos, but its not what is on my TFT35. Like i said before mine is more like the 3d printer version,

With all the code I have been slinging around, I even just grabbed a fresh copy of the 09/25/22 CNC.TFT from the link above and reloaded it to the TFT and got the same result.
Just so we are clear I understand the “PACK” I have loaded is a different color set of icons, I dont care about that, but like the picture of the other unit the buttons on my TFT display are useless compared to the other picture that is optimised for the CNC (yes i know is code form a 3d printer, but clearly the other code is better for usage of the cnc)

what am I missing something here?

There are 2 screen modes. Long press the selector. I think you will find what you are looking 4.

You can run any firmware you want on the screen. Some people have done a good job getting the screen to look more cnc like. Several of us put our heads together and made a bunch of changes to the screen firmware and shared it all over. These changes didn’t make it back to bigtreetech, and they would have broken their setup anyway.

Fast forward a few months or a year and BTT releases a new firmware and a slightly different screen. They only sell Ryan the new screen type, and if you install our old firmware on the new screen, it is upside down.

Instead of trying to merge these two very different code bases, we instead just downloaded the new firmware, fixed it to be configurable so it wouldn’t show errors all the time if you had no extruder, and then submitted these changes back to BTT. Now, any updates they make to their software include our smaller changes to work for cnc machines. But the look and language isn’t cnc related anymore.

So at the end, you are using the better, newer firmware. And it has some features for 3dp. But it doesn’t matter. A cnc is just a 3dp without an extruder.

3 Likes

In the firmware for the TFT, there are some folders. One of those folders contains a set of images. You can replace any of those images with one of your own choosing, as long as the size matches the original — you can edit the appearance of your user interface by replacing those images.

If you like, when I get home, I will locate a copy of the firmware that I use, and I will upload for you my set of images.

1 Like

I am happy to send you my TFT firmware. Assuming that it can gel fine with what you’re doing, it will fix your issue of the interface not looking like you want.

1 Like

please and thank you

1 Like

There are at least three possibilities I can think of with you trying out the firmware for my TFT. One is that it will work great. The other is that you could modify it to work with yours. The third is that you may be able to borrow from it.

I have received several prior requests for my TFT firmware, and I had forgotten that late last year I uploaded it to my website to make it easier to share. Here’s the link!

http://design8studio.com/files/Firmware-for-my-BTT-LCD-control-screen-TFT-3.5-E3-v-3.0.zip

yeah, i really like the layout of the “dedicated” screen setup, and i will try to get to that.
It seems a bit more intuitive that the one i have.

@jeffeb3
( please reference the photos above for “OLD” and “NEW”)
Does this mean the “NEW” firmware CANT look like the “OLD” firmware or that no one has modded the new firmware to do it? (which dont know if is easy or not).

( I do have a bit of OCD and something like layout of the buttons and the 3D printer icons are bashing my OCD with a big hammer)

Please bare in mind I am only talking about the layout of the buttons and naming of them. i am guessing that the back end of programming something like this button
is not going to be easy…

1 Like

thanks!

1 Like

Well the “desig8” firmware loaded

And it sorta works, lol.
I will continue to play with it

Doug was that firmware based on our previous edited firmware, or did you start fresh? The current TFT firmware I have linked is the first one to not have the SD card file stalling issue on the touchscreen side. Can you make sure it is at least as current as the V1 firmware. If not linking it could be a very bad idea as the old touch firmware had random stalling and crashing issues. That is why I used to sell the screens and only recommend the Marlin mode used.

Just not sure when you pulled the source.

I will try to check. And in the meantime, I’ll probably just back off on any mention of having it. Not sure how to handle if I get more direct requests. They have typically come in through YouTube. For some reason.

If you uploaded that firmware before the end of December it needs to be updated if you want to safely use the TFT side.

Did you edit our previous one with all the fancy buttons or make it yourself? If you edited the one we had that is all bad and definitely needs to be replaced for several reasons.

PS, that is a gpl3 code so you might want to keep the source with the files just to be safe if you plan on offering it to people through youtube.

What I had been sharing was the source that is editable and compilable. I don’t remember if I included a pre-compiled version of that or not, but I don’t think so.

Without checking, just going off top of my head, I think it was download it from the V1E site, but that I had given it a GUI facelift, with a set of files obtained from another V1E maker.

If it is the one we used to use and you changed some of the icons that is not safe to use any longer, and actually has not been for a while.

I just updated our source and am prepping a new package release right now. If you want to try and edit the new one that is the best to start with, besides the BTT source itself.

1 Like