Another Florida Build... LR3 #2

Thanks! Now I just have to wait till tomorrow to put the new ruler lines. Somewhere yesterday I ended up reading @vicious1 say something about .3mm pen. Well these will be here tomorrow. The felt tip I had was good but the lines tend to “run” and get fatter than intended. Hoping these pens will do better. Time will tell.

1 Like

Delivery day for the Beach Sign then will get back to work on the LR3. Little teaser there for what I plan to work on while I’m waiting for the new pens to come in

6 Likes

Those are the ones I use!

Nice work on the tramming!

2 Likes

Thanks for that!! Everyone has been so quiet about it with all my crazy math I was starting to think I really did have it all screwed up. Thankfully you and @Tokoloshe seem to think I did alright lol. Never noticed anyone else post about doing it that way. Just seemed like an easier way than eye balling it. Plus even if you only have a regular trim router you can pick up a 1/8” tig rod that will chuck in and do the same thing that my #12 ground wire did

In other news… beach sign has been delivered and installed. And they LOVED it!!

6 Likes

I’m always in awe of maths whether it is crazy or not and super impressed with the workmanship on the tramming arm too. :medal_sports:

I built, for the LR2 and never got around to needing it, a “math free” tramming gauge, which I will do once again for the LR3 if ever it gets finished! :wink:

Basically if the dimension from the centre of the collet to the “tramming mark” is the same as the distance from the bottom of the collet to the “shimming spot” - you can just measure the discrepancy with a feeler gauge and that’s the thickness of the shim. The neat thing is you only have to measure at three points too.

I use this method to level the drill press table so I expect it will be fine with the cnc.

2 Likes

If you didn’t already see it in the other Post I’ve been having some led fun this evening…

Still have to do some final cleanup of the wiring but I think it came out great! Only other thing left to figure out is how to make the side panels start at Blue. Currently they go though a start up flash of all 3 colors and then go white like the ones under the beam. Would like to set them to auto go to blue. Have to do some more research tomorrow lol

6 Likes

I can’t be sure, but I think I must have met you in the loony bin in another life! That’s truly wonderful!

1 Like

Nice! Some of these pics look like something ready to levitate in the air and head into outer space!

Really nice. I’ve also pondered LEDs, my board has a few more 5V pins. :smile:

1 Like

Go for it! these LEDs are 12v so I pick up this to run them. Only thing connected to the board is the data line. Had fun finding the correct pins to use but got it!!!

1 Like

Those lights look great! A true Low Rider.

Makes me think you should attach a ball to the end of the spindle and lay some sand on your table.

(Maybe just 3D print a lollipop shape since it doesn’t need to be metal and doesn’t need to roll.)

1 Like

Man that .3mm sure is a thin line

And they don’t like MDF LOL

1 Like

Well sucks the .3mm pens didn’t work. But I’ve been wanting to try some drawings with the machine anyways so they will definitely come in handy for that!!

Made a 100mm x 100mm grid and now going back with @jamiek ruler perimeter. Didn’t get the lines exactly like I hoped for but I was seriously giving myself a headache trying to figure out all the offsets to get it right. For no more than it’s off I’m ok with it. Not like I will ever use it for serious measurements. Mostly it’s just for the look lol.

5 Likes

Check these out… .25mm

https://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Slicci-Extra-Assorted-BG202BP8M/dp/B003D7HFFU/ref=sr_1_31?crid=2JT9DP1809FBT&keywords=pentel+.3+pen&qid=1690771697&sprefix=pentel+.3%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-31#

2 Likes

It’s all done. Time to stop messing around and get it dirty! Diving in head first tomorrow on some 1/4” aluminum!!

5 Likes

If you engraved the scales in acrylic and let them flush with the spoil board with embedded runway lights underneath - you’d be next level Science Fair!!

Seriously that looks terrific.

2 Likes

LOL I think this is about as fancy as I’m going to get with it. Too many other projects backing up. Time to get it dirty. Going to get its first taste of aluminum tomorrow. Going to cut new XZ plates for the full sheet LR3 then new aluminum struts for it. Also need to engrave my serial number in one of these acrylic plates for the MP3DP so I can get them installed. I’ve been using the printer so much I haven’t had time to finish it LOL. And after getting the LEDs installed on the LR3 I’m ready to see this edge lit acrylic on the printer. Supposed to be 99° here the next 2 days so hopefully ill get some work done on the printer in the AC. In fact i might need to change my plans and do that acrylic first before its too hot in the morning LOL

2 Likes

I don’t know whether I missed it, but how long did one strut take?

1 Like

I don’t remember exactly. Wasn’t too bad though. I was looking at the timing to cut out a 1450mm one for my full sheet machine last night and without the windows just the holes and cut it out it was 1.5 hrs. estimated

1 Like

Those pens are picky. Smooth paper, light pressure, and you can’t draw too fast…or they die.

1 Like