1.5kw vevor spindle skr pro 1.2 wiring and setup

So I’m thinking of getting the 1.5kw vevor spindle and 1.5kw vevor vfd inverter to replace the Makita router.

Currently using SKR pro v1.2 which is using the v1engieering firmware for dual stops.

Is there a step by step guide on install, wiring, setup for this, would like rpm control and on/off using gcode commands etc.

I am hoping I don’t need to update skr firmware as I haven’t attempted this yet. But if I do, maybe include a step guide to do this also.

2 Likes

I am in the same boat and think I bought the same vfd combo. I work at a company that makes VFDs so I am familiar with controlling one. I would highly recommend a control circuit for the VFD to eliminate the possibility of it running while you are touching the spindle. Powering the drive off will work but keep in mind that cycling power before the bus is discharged can result in catastrophic failure specially for these cheap drives that do not have a effective discharge circuit. I can share my schematic I have created for my control box I am building if you are interested.

2 Likes

I would be No.2 to try this…

Welcome to the forum Erwin. There are a number of people on the forum using spindles. If you set the RPM manually on the VFD, then the setup is simple. I cannot comment on @underbreath’s caution about a control circuit. I would love to see his schematic.

Things can get complicated if you try to drive the RPM from the Marlin control board. How complicated will depend on the VFD. I’ve seen an occasional VFD that takes 5V PWM as speed input. This should be plug-and-play, but I’ve never seen a report back from the OP about how it went. Most VFDs take a 0V to 10V analog signal to control the RPM. Making these VFDs work usually takes some circuitry to convert the either 5V or 12V output of the Marlin control board to the 10V input needed by the VFD.

There are a number of posts on the forum about VFDs and spindles. Doing a search might provide you with information to help you connect your spindle.

thanks, just built my first lr3, was fun, currently sporting a makita but the 1.5 vevor is in the mail… searching the forum and the web did not give me the answers yet but will tinker my way to something that works…

If you give a reference to the specific model and how you want to install it, someone on the forum can likely give you some help. I recommend opening a new topic. When I do a search for Vevor VFD manuals, I get links to the A2 VFD. This VFD does have a 5V analog input. If you want to drive your VFD from Marlin, you will need to research the following:

• The V1 maintained firmware is set up for laser support with PWM255. I believe you will need to reconfigure Marlin so that inline g-code specifies RPM, and you will need to set your RPM range wrt the PWM values.

• V1 maintained firmware for the SKR Pro uses PC9 for the spindle/laser PWM pin. Based on the pinout of the SKR Pro, I believe this is a 5V pin, but you need to check to be sure. The SKR Pro has both 5V and 3.3V logic.

And when you get your spindle working, I would love to get your impressions of the differences (performance, loudness, etc.) between your Makita and your new spindle.

Check out this post. Lots of good information there. Unfortunately I have been lazy with it and not done any more with it. Hopefully I will have some time soon and be able to look into it more

Sorry I have been MIA fellas, I will post my schematic tomorrow for you. I still have more to update on the schematic once firmware is done and pins from SKR are decided. I will also include the VFD setups as well.

1 Like

I guess I can’t upload a PDF so here is a screenshot of the PDF lol. This is not the final but 90% finished.

1 Like

You can zip the pdf and then upload the .zip file

Ok so I have ordered the vevor 1.5kw spindle and vfd.
This does have a 5v PWM.
I have the latest v1e firmware installed on my skr pro v1.2 and tft screen.

I’m not installing any e-stops etc. apart from power to the vfd. I want to connect everything else to the skr pro.
Below is a pic of the terminals, this is the 3phase input power version however mine is single phase.
I’d like to know how to get this connected to the skr pro, and also how to enable control via marlin to control rpm using the marlin command M03 S##### where ##### is rpm speed and M4/M5 commands as these commands are embedded in my PP for aspire.

My understanding is that the latest skr pro firmware already has spindle control enabled so it’s just a matter of connecting 5v of vfd to PC9? But ain’t PC9 allocated for laser control?
My 3 fan outputs are currently being used so I can’t use them. Is there any other alternative 5v pwm pin I can use on the skr pro board?
Wiring diagram would be helpful not just for me but probably a lot of makers wanting to do the same thing.

I don’t have practical experience with a VFD, but I’ve spent some time with laser control and poking round in the Marlin configuration files. In Marlin, you have to select your ‘S’ value representation. You can select from PWM, Percentage, RPM, and Servo. The V1 maintained firmware uses PWM, which works with lasers, but for spindle control, I believe you will want RPM. In practical terms, that means the same firmware (given your VFD) cannot be used for both laser and spindle. If you want to run both a spindle and laser on your machine it is highly likely you will have to reflash your firmware when you make a swap. Fortunately, that is easy on the SKR Pro.

To match up your VFD to Marlin, you will need edit the Spindle and Laser control section of configuration_adv.h. Here is my educated guess on what changes you will need to make.

First, you will need to enable spindle control (and perhaps disable laser control) by editing these two lines:

//#define SPINDLE_FEATURE
#define LASER_FEATURE

Then you will need to change what the S values represent in M03 and inline commands to RPM in this section:

/**
   * Speed / Power can be set ('M3 S') and displayed in terms of:
   *  - PWM255  (S0 - S255)
   *  - PERCENT (S0 - S100)
   *  - RPM     (S0 - S50000)  Best for use with a spindle
   *  - SERVO   (S0 - S180)
   */
  #define CUTTER_POWER_UNIT PWM255

And finally you will need to setup how the PWM values sent to your VFD map to RPM in this section:

#if ENABLED(SPINDLE_LASER_USE_PWM)
      #define SPEED_POWER_INTERCEPT       0    // (%) 0-100 i.e., Minimum power percentage
      #define SPEED_POWER_MIN          5000    // (RPM)
      #define SPEED_POWER_MAX         30000    // (RPM) SuperPID router controller 0 - 30,000 RPM
      #define SPEED_POWER_STARTUP 15 // 25000    // (RPM) M3/M4 speed/power default (with no arguments)
    #endif

I think it works this way. In your CAM, you specify some RPM, say 22000. That value is then used in the ‘S’ values for M03 and/or inline commands when the postprocessor generates the g-code, so the g-code will have S2200. Marlin then uses the values in the previous section to calculate what PWM value it needs to send to the VFD for an RPM of 22000.

As for the PWM pin, you can use PC9 for both and simply reroute the signal between your laser and your spindle when you swap between them, or you can attempt to find an alternate PWM pin.

In searching, I could not find a definitive resource on which SKR Pro pins support PWM. I think PF7 and PF8 pins (which are on extension 1 along with PC9) are PWM pins. If it were me, I’d hookup a voltmeter to pins on the extension block and use M42 with an S value of 128 to see if I got half the voltage from a pin. I’m also clumsy, so I’d power down the board between each pin test to avoid inadvertently shorting pins.

1 Like

Thanks for that Robert.
Is the vfd mapping simply setting minimum rpm and max rpm? Or is this something I need specs from the vfd or spindle?
Also when using the m42 command for pc9.
Is is simply sending command “M42 PC9 S128” to get 50% voltage on this pin? So I should get 2.5Vdc

Pics of vfd specifications:

Pics of spindle specifications:

Ok so seem to have it working with voltmeter.
However pin pc9 is only a 3.3v pwm. I thought this was 5V?
The vfd uses a 5v pwm I believe

AHi,
If available check/verify peak value with an oscilloscope.

If not available set to, say, 50% and see if you get 2.5V.

yeah it works,
If i set spindle to 8000rpm i get 1.075V
if i set spindle speed to 12000rpm i get 1.623V.
If i set to 24000rpm i get 3.255V
I have it set in configuration_adv.h as:

#if ENABLED(SPINDLE_LASER_USE_PWM)
      #define SPEED_POWER_INTERCEPT       0    // (%) 0-100 i.e., Minimum power percentage
      #define SPEED_POWER_MIN          8000    // (RPM)
      #define SPEED_POWER_MAX         24000    // (RPM) SuperPID router controller 0 - 30,000 RPM
      #define SPEED_POWER_STARTUP 15 // 25000    // (RPM) M3/M4 speed/power default (with no arguments)
    #endif

so as for mapping it seems to work.
But my the Vevor 1.5kw VFD has a 5vdc for pwm.
So i was wondering if there is another pwm pin on the skr pro v1.2 that uses 5vdc for pwm, instead of 3.3vdc like PC9

Almost all devices that receive 5V PWM signals work fine with 3.3V signals since 3.3V is higher than the 2.5V threshold. Going the other way (5V into 3.3V decice) can be a problem. I can respond to your other questions when I return home.

1 Like

Is the vfd mapping simply setting minimum rpm and max rpm? Or is this something I need specs from the vfd or spindle?

For these values, you want the min and max RPM for the VFD/Spindle. I don’t know if it the same Vevor VFD you’re using, but in this topic the range for that VFD is 12000-24000 R/min. You could also calculate the range empirically. You could hookup your VFD to PC9, put the VFD in PWM mode, Send M42 g-codes to marlin with S0 and S255, and read the RPMs from the VFD display. Or, maybe it is documented in the manual.

So i was wondering if there is another pwm pin on the skr pro v1.2 that uses 5vdc for pwm

I could not find any reference for what pins support PWM. If you want an educated guess, take a look at the datasheet for the STM32 processor (used in the SKR Pro). The pin definitions start on page 42. PWM requires a timer, so any pin where the definition contains “TIM[something]” is a good candidate for a PWM pin. But, as mentioned in my previous post, I don’t see any reason to seek out a 5V pin. Devices that take PWM signals generally are interested in what percent of each cycle is high vs. low. They don’t care about the voltage as long as the incoming signal has a high voltge above the midpoint of the defined PWM voltage of the device.

I have the same vevor spindle and VFD but I never did try to hook it up to the SKR. Now all of my machines are on the Jackpot board. My full sheet LR3 runs a Huanyang VFD for its spindle and that supports RS485 so I went that route. I do have a 0-10v card to add to the jackpot on my smaller LR3 with the vevor spindle/VFD so once I get to that Ill know more.

1 Like

My core is printed petg. Do you know the temps you get with air cooled 1.5kw spindle and if petg would be ok for the temps?
I currently have the Makita router and I believe the spindle is 65mm so I can still use the same Makita holder on the core.