YouTube subscriber growth went "exponential" when I started posting V1E "LR3" vids

It’s so rad, I mean I am mesmerized by my printer and Cnc working.
Wait till you get one of these going. I have so many things I want to try on it, just haven’t had the time. I want to add another line of led’s as close as I can to the top and maybe a triangle polished diffuser thingy. To try and get the the tips and the shadows more highlighted. I have taken so many pics of it. Seems like the evening when the lights the best it’s just hard not to take a pic.
But I never remember the recipe files.

I think I missed this opensauce thing.
I am kinda in the sticks so nothing like that ever comes near by me. And I am kinda a hermit.

7 Likes

Edit: There we go, that’s the stuff… Looks absolutely epic.

3 Likes

I just subscribed to your channel!! Cool stuff!!

3 Likes

Well thank you haha just silly stuff.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the whole point? It isn’t just information. It is infotainment. Even projects that pretend to be tutorials on YT need to keep the for and be entertaining before they do get watched. Wasting time is what YT is best at.

Editing is definitely important. But it doesn’t have to have substance. And if you’re stuck, it is better to do it poorly than not at all. Just my $0.02.

5 Likes

I concur. And one of the recurring thoughts/realizations that I have is that the temptation to speed things up, to prevent wasting people’s time, is actually detrimental to the video’s effectiveness. We are built/wired to perceive things in real time, and while we can easily stretch to watch something that is sped up a little bit, and have no problem following it, if it is sped up too much, then it’s very difficult to get anything useful from it. This goes back to what @jeffeb3 said about editing being important. It’s better to break a long tedious repetitive clip up into several short clips that run at regular speed, then to leave the whole clip in running at 8x or 10x. When played back at regular speed or something close to regular speed, you allow the viewer a couple of options while providing them an experience that is easy for them to watch. One is they can patiently wait during the repetition while still watching. The other is they can use the scrub bar at the bottom to speed themselves past the repetitions, knowing that when they let go of the scrub bar and start watching again, it will still be at regular speed, which is watchable and enjoyable.

3 Likes

As a consumer of time-wasting videos and educational videos, I find it confounding that for some things (like wanting an info-dump), I want the video to go faster, and at others (let’s play game videos), I’m annoyed when there’s editing that makes it seem like the player I’m watching goes from zero to hero in just a few minutes, despite hours of gameplay edited out. Makes me feel hopeless… Others, like watching restoration videos (almost for ASMR), I don’t mind, as I know I don’t need to watch 45 minutes of them filing casting marks off of old tools.

tl;dr - Edit mindfully based on your content and target audience.

3 Likes

If we are using YouTube as the bar, the users have an another option, playback speed. I used to only use this for people who talked slow. Now I find myself watching everything at 2x, and only slowing down to 1.5x when they have things that I need to focus on. There’s only a couple of channels I watch, where 1.75 is the max for my comprehension. I do use normal with pause, when it’s a build video.

It’s amazing how you can get used to comprehension at 2x, and find normal speed “too slow”, even though a lot of tubers, talk faster than news on TV. It’s almost got me yelling at the TV people to talk faster. Thank god TiVo has a playback speed and commercial skip. Down side, can’t do that with real time broadcasts.

There are a few build videos out there, that speed up the video in editing, I have to slow those down. Wasn’t sure their reasoning there, but there’s a work around for the users there as well. (Also used on the work PC, to bypass the annoying screen lock. 2 hour video, playing at .25x, screen doesn’t lock, unless I lock it for 8 hours)

3 Likes

My youtube channel features examples of how to use another cnc and I have a few followers from that, but I went with “hey, I’m …” and then get into it without any fanfare. The sound was complained about in some videos, but the feedback I got was appreciation for the content. The goal was to get folks to watch and learn vs read and learn without getting spoon fed the same instructions over an over with new forum posts.

@DougJoseph It is cool that your channel is picking up steam with your recent work. congrats! Thanks for sharing. I’ve contemplated making a video now for some unfinished products I try to sell to give examples and possible techniques of how to finish them, but time is the limitation and then I’d have to edit again and that is a huge time suck as well. Kudos to all you who can keep a day job, make in your spare time and then video it and edit, polish and post it all and maintain sanity and healthy relationships…

3 Likes

Yes, and I think I should have said it better. 1x to 5x is watchable. And even 100x is fine for “time lapse” from a distance. But a “maker video” up close, can be hard to get much help from at much faster than 5x or 10x maybe. Depends on the distance range, and subject matter.

1 Like

Hey, hopefully I’m subscribed to your channel, but I’d like to check and make sure. Can you post a link to it?

I’m still editing practically all of my videos on my iPhone, using an app called Splice. I have a paid version of it. The video rendering and processing power in my phone is substantially faster than what is inside my eight year old MacBook Pro.

1 Like

No new video up in 2 years. I have some editing to do as I have recorded a fair amount of video with my arcade build and cribbage board with the mpcnc. I have some foam carve timelapse footage from the mpcnc as well and I’m starting my mp3dp assembly now, so there should be more to come. Honestly though, I’m kind of embarrassed to show my farmered setups here. I build stuff to be economically functional, and rarely does that mean pretty, which is why I hang out here so I can learn how to make my builds cleaner.

3 Likes

@orob , I just subscribed to your channel!

1 Like

As of yesterday:

6 Likes

So, my YouTube channel has won over yet another maker now planning to build a V1E machine, in this case another LowRider for carving foam for airplane wings.

This was in the comments of my most recent video “LowRider v3 DIY CNC - Easy quick project - super satisfying!

Here’s how that conversation went:

In related news, I’m now at 93.4% of the 1,000 subscribers needed for monetization, and at 90% of the 4,000 watch hours needed for monetization.

5 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Will watch A few from home tonight subscribing now

2 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, i havent been around for that long, but your videos were one of the reasons if found did this crazy adventure, so i am happy to help you along the way.

4 Likes