What router do you use for your LR3 / 2

The standard Makita mount will work as it is 65mm as well. I remixed my own.

https://files.printables.com/media/prints/360285/stls/3060408_ce3fdc84-69a3-4e32-b045-1a340fb67bc8/remix-spindle-mount-v2.3mf#_ga=2.71490897.359580973.1678908502-1991889598.1669564386

This is what i use. you can see where we talked about it here in my build thread…

2 Likes

These are not available in Australia. They can be purchased with a bit of effort but are much more expensive than the Makita.

Someone can correct me technically, but I think the real difference between the Makita and the Clones is that the real one maintains the same power through its speed range, the clones drop in power with the drop in revs for reasons that are in some little black box.

1 Like

The makita is a good choice.

I really like using a durable commercial tryin router. They come with a warranty. They have decent prices because they are made at scale. They have a company with a brand they care about, so they won’t lie on the spec page.

3 Likes

Do you use the air cooled or water cooled model? just curious how hot it gets and if there’s any concern for melting or deforming the mount…

Thanks all for your suggestions, I ended up purchasing the Vevor 800W unit with all fittings for AU$100, and you can get same size router, without additional fittings for around AU$65, plus post.
I think i will get a backup, and I can use in the other fittings if I need a hand router.

They seam like a fairly robust router for the job, and I cannot justify the Makita prices at the moment, with all I have spent on this build, so far.

1 Like

I’ve got a trip to Aus coming up so I’m considering smuggling a Vevor spindle or palm router back to NZ.

Any further impressions of the spindle after using it for a bit longer? Do you remember off hand what collets it comes with?

I’ve loved mine. It has ER11 collets. I believe it came with an 1/8” and 1/4” collet but only one collet nut. I ordered more off of amazon and a wrench. It’s a TON quieter than the dewalt I ran in my LR2 and has plenty of power. Also much easier to dial in the RPMs

1 Like

This has er11 collets?

Or is this not what you are talking about?

Sorry that’s not the one I was talking about. This is the one I run…

1 Like

O.k. that makes more sense, thanks!

and not bad price either!

1 Like

I have the Vevor wood trim router, i was tossing up you one , so i will be very inteted to see how it goes

Keep us informed!

1 Like

Hi, in the vevor Q&A i found, they said it is ER11 i have a 3.2mm one coming to me this week so i will see how it fits and let you know.
Unless you want a whole lot of extra fittings for manual routing, this is the one i will get for my backup, and it can be used in my other fittings.
My one came with 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" collets. i was only expecting the two, and a 1/8" one would be better in the kit, anyway.

2 Likes

…the spindle would be great, but as most people seam to run a makita or similar, you will probably find the 800 watt will be ample, depending on what you want to do, of course.
…except the spindle will probable be quieter?..

1 Like

Hi new to the forum and starting my journey into getting a LR.

I mainly have Dewalt cordless tools.
I have the DCW604 which is similar to the DWP611. Has anyone used the Dewalt cordless tools, or is the weight of a suitable battery an issue?

1 Like

Hello @cloudwarrior, welcome! Battery weight will be ok, LowRider 3 with kit steppers or similar spec can handle heavy loads. However jobs can take a long time, longer than battery may last. Guessing you can get a wired router if/when battery life overly frustrates you. E.g battery dies, router stops spinning, and stationary drill bit snaps. Teaching Tech on YouTube went through similar experience and ultimately ended up with wired router. Hope that helps, cheers!

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. Glad to hear it, and as you say I’ll probably ending up with a wired one anyways…

1 Like

I’m using a Makita RT0702C and it has been performing well. I also have the battery version but decided against using it due to there being no easy way to stop the job if the battery goes flat, leading to snapped bits as Aza mentioned. It’s also likely that the CNC will be capable of leaning on the router much more heavily than you would by hand, so the battery life is likely shorter than expected.

Not to mention it’s way too much of a pain in the rear to take it in/out of the CNC, at least on the MPCNC, so I’m very unlikely to remove it.

Honestly, I suspect I’ll end up buying another wired one in addition, as well, because for a brief moment there I was quite enjoying having the wired one in the router table and the battery one with a roundover bit in it constantly.

4 Likes

Thanks. Yep I have two routers at the moment. The dewalt and a Triton, which is a bit of a beast. It lives in the router table and the dewalt is great for all the freehand stuff.
No doubt I’ll start with the dewalt hand held and when I get more confident then I’ll upgrade and get a wired router.

1 Like

Seen Dewalt DCW604NT cordless router/ controller board choice - #3 by robertbu. ?

Can’t tell what spindle diameter is, but you may need to make a mount/adapter if it differs to wired DeWalt router. Printables has misc LR3 router mounts maybe one of those will fit.

1 Like

I’m using the Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router in my LowRider, and it’s great. In fact another one of these lives in my DIY router table. Affiliate link: https://amzn.to/3Kd3XON