What router do you use for your LR3 / 2

Hello @cloudwarrior, welcome! Battery weight will be ok, LowRider 3 with kit steppers or similar spec can handle heavy loads. However jobs can take a long time, longer than battery may last. Guessing you can get a wired router if/when battery life overly frustrates you. E.g battery dies, router stops spinning, and stationary drill bit snaps. Teaching Tech on YouTube went through similar experience and ultimately ended up with wired router. Hope that helps, cheers!

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. Glad to hear it, and as you say I’ll probably ending up with a wired one anyways…

1 Like

I’m using a Makita RT0702C and it has been performing well. I also have the battery version but decided against using it due to there being no easy way to stop the job if the battery goes flat, leading to snapped bits as Aza mentioned. It’s also likely that the CNC will be capable of leaning on the router much more heavily than you would by hand, so the battery life is likely shorter than expected.

Not to mention it’s way too much of a pain in the rear to take it in/out of the CNC, at least on the MPCNC, so I’m very unlikely to remove it.

Honestly, I suspect I’ll end up buying another wired one in addition, as well, because for a brief moment there I was quite enjoying having the wired one in the router table and the battery one with a roundover bit in it constantly.

4 Likes

Thanks. Yep I have two routers at the moment. The dewalt and a Triton, which is a bit of a beast. It lives in the router table and the dewalt is great for all the freehand stuff.
No doubt I’ll start with the dewalt hand held and when I get more confident then I’ll upgrade and get a wired router.

1 Like

Seen Dewalt DCW604NT cordless router/ controller board choice - #3 by robertbu. ?

Can’t tell what spindle diameter is, but you may need to make a mount/adapter if it differs to wired DeWalt router. Printables has misc LR3 router mounts maybe one of those will fit.

1 Like

I’m using the Makita RT0701C 1-1/4 HP Compact Router in my LowRider, and it’s great. In fact another one of these lives in my DIY router table. Affiliate link: https://amzn.to/3Kd3XON