Want more Kobalt info!

Ok long time listener, NOT first time poster, lol.

@Ryan @jeffeb3 @orob
Aza (it wouldnt let me mention more than 3 users!!)

How did this all happen? Where did it all start? Ryan did Kobalt reach out to you? Aza you said at the end of your video now to run it? Where is it? Did you all have a say in what the router came out like? Man, this is sweet! So many questions! And how are all the new peeps getting here?? Wow! Just instagram? Ryan are you prepared for all the orders this could obtain?

3 Likes

I think that’s for Ryan to answer, though I could give you a TL:DR if he does not have the time. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah I’m guessing the thing he’s been working on all day will answer most if not all these questions

2 Likes

F
I
N
E

:rofl:

10 Likes

I am open to suggestions about it.

3 Likes

Nice write up. Greatly appreciate you were transparent, and open that not everyone’s experience was 100% :rainbow: and :unicorn:. Was great to see a meaningful response directly from the Engineer(s), as opposed to folks several layers removed from being able to address root cause.

"Another bummer is one of the first routers out of the production batch did have an issue and was unusable. The Lead engineer assures me they have a handle on the issue going forward. Of course if you have any issues and the main reason I do not sell routers directly, go back to the store and make use of that a 5-year guarantee. No worries. "

Nice!

3 Likes

Congrats again! Hope you got one of those special inserts on the display pallets for your garage. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are we allowed to know what that issue was?

He was the first one to see it in store. I tried to get him to go sign it and write V1E.com on it LOL

3 Likes

That would have been AWESOME

2 Likes

I completely agree with you @azab2c

It did suck to get the dud but I do think its not something we will see a ton of. No one else had anything close to what mine was doing. And Kobalt is sending me another one and we believe a return label for the bad one to send back. Once i get home and have the new one i will be putting it though the paces and posting a few videos with it. Even have some 1/2" thick aluminum just for the occasion!!!

Great job @vicious1 and the rest of the team. This is something to truly be proud of!!!

3 Likes

Oh, good idea!!! Time to go smooze one of the employeesQ

2 Likes

JJ’s router would turn on and just speed up and shut off for no reason. Super odd, hopefully just a random issue. The good part is it did actually just shut off. It never stayed going full blast right JJ?

Mine has a bit of a speed wander issue in free air, probably about 200RPM or so . I did not see it happening under load, but it is real hard to test for something like that while it is cutting with the tools I have. I was not concerned enough to ask for a swap out.

In the end this is a completely new product and the very first batch. I am sure if this gets picked up the next round will be fine. Not sure if anything changed from the prototypes we last tested but they all functioned and tested perfectly. If there are any issues just let them know and get a new one.

There was a larger overall pile of the first batch and they did find another with a speed wander like mine but all the rest were reported as fine, and the wandering one was reported fine after the brushes wore in (20+ minutes of running).

3 Likes

This is correct. It always turned off.

2 Likes

Definitely sounds like it. I know sometimes those prototype electrical components don’t always come out right. But that’s why it’s a prototype right?

It super hard to test RPM accurately in general without special equipment

Edit: Thank you for sharing, I really do love hearing about manufacturing and designing. As well as the highs and lows you all went through!

2 Likes

Wow! Insane!

So where are all the new peeps coming from? Did lowes do something? Or is it just instagram, etc? That free router one is blowing up!

3 Likes

Ryan posted to twiter, instagram and facebook about it with a link to the post. I know I shared it on FB as well. As im sure others did. As far as I know thats all that was done

4 Likes

Just curious - the pic of the store display says Limited Time Buy. What does that refer to - price, availability?

Same here, noticed that as well!