Vacuum hose size

Just noticed the vacuum hose I ordered is too small, and thought I should point it out so no one else makes the same mistake.
The lowrider docs and link to the hose on Amazon (which isn’t the hose I bought) both say 1.5" hose, so I got some 1.5"/38mm hose.
After printing the makita tool mount I noticed it was too small, and it says to use 48mm OD hose (1 7/8"). I appears the hose hangers are also intended for 1 7/8" hose (but would work with the smaller stuff no worries).

4 Likes

I have a 3D printed adapter for the smaller hose, as I was using the smaller hose for the LR2, which is what that 1.5" hose fits. It’s not a difficult thing to draw up, you just need to measure the OD of your hose and the ID of the dust collector. I tapered the hose side a bit to ensure a tight fit.

2 Likes

I always use this open.scad file for all my adapters. Did basically any size to any size by now. :smiley:
Vacuum_Hose_Adapter.zip (937 Bytes)

6 Likes

@Tokoloshe thanks for sharing this. Am using for my build with 2-1/2" vac hose, do you have a github repo I can reference from my fork, or should I point to this or another Topic/Post? Cheers!

1 Like

Your fork? Did you improve it?

But no, I don’t, I got it from thingiverse a year ago or so. You can find it here: Vacuum Hose Adapter by FollyMaker - Thingiverse
He released a new version where you can use 0.1 increments, but that was possible before if you just type it in the code. :smile:

1 Like

Yep, modified script slightly to enable fitting in the limited space between lower Makita mount and the Vac Hose upper. Shared details in the build thread…

2 Likes

Pretty cool. :slight_smile: You could reach out to the creator on Thingiverse.

2 Likes

My hose was also a little small. I’ve just finished my 3D printer build and wanted to learn fusion so took this as an excuse to play rather than user the script. I ended up with this for the printer end:

(The black mess on the hose is just my inability to cut the hose cleanly. It screws in perfectly)

Then did a very similar one for the other end. This one my vacuum pushes into it:

I expected the thread to take a couple tries but fluked it first time :smile:

This is so much fun but so much to learn.

6 Likes

Nice design. Any chance that you could share the print or Fusion files?

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah no problem. I’m away tonight I’ll upload it tomorrow.

1 Like

Appologies for the delay

This is the first time I’ve tried sharing from fusion. What’s the best way to share? Is this link enough:

The sizes can be changed here(hopefully the names are self explanatory!):

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for that.

I did get a little restless, and a tad ambitious, and created my own version on F360 (free version)

But yours looks much more finished and adaptable to different size hoses. Kudos and well done!

2 Likes

Did you see the one Aza posted? It’s for open SCAD and really great. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Being in the Land down under, i struggled at the start to get the right hose.
I also, at the time, had access to 38mm hose from my employer. (Since then i read on the forum here carbitec here in aus has a lot of different sizes)

So i did the same a designed a module to fit the original opening. Although i put a slight kink in mine so it was easier to use when i pulled it out to clean up the cuts

It is also smaller in diameter so that ithere is virtually no friction getting it in there

Just an option for you

1 Like