V3 or V4?

Hello all, this is my first post on the V1 forums but I’m excited to be here!

I’m currently printing parts for my Primo and plan to move onward to the MP3DP after.

I REALLY like the design of the V3 with the wood frame and would enjoy making that and having that in my workshop. That being said, is there any compelling reason to not do that and go with the V4 instead?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice that you may have. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Assuming that you are referring to the MP3DP printer.

I have built both.

The v3 “Repeat” the CF rod for the X axis seems to be a weak point. Ryan has had several fail, and mine did as well. I replaced mine with a 20mm aluminum tube which seems to be holding up well. It hasn’t been really long yet, so time will tell.

The v3 system may allow a small degree of freedom for the carriage which can result in some oddities with the Z height.

The v4 is a smaller overall size for the same build volume, so a little more compact and space efficient.

You can still use wood.panels to build the v4, buy it may take a modification of the right motor moint.

1 Like

I’m enjoying my V4 build. That’s all the personal knowledge I have to the question.

1 Like

The v4 Ryan brought to RMRRF had HDPE panels. You could make them from wood as well.

At the end of the day, they are both successful projects to me. If you have a good reason to make the v3, then go for it. You have two winning choices. Neither of them will last forever. Neither choice is permanent.

1 Like

That’s everyone for the input.

Jeffeb3, your v4 is beautiful and I think you may be swaying me in that direction.

I’m using MDF

1 Like

That one is Ryan’s (aka @vicious1). It is heading back to CA to start printing kits in the V1 shop. I just took a picture of it at the show from this weekend.

I agree though. It looked awesome. And it printed perfectly all weekend.

2 Likes