Update to SKR 1.4?

Gotta love the support around here, there is so much help… problem is finding it… lol
I have the SKR 1.4 with DRV8825’s. I have it all running (basically), vrefs set and steppers responding on the newest marlin but it is not a version set for the lowrider. Using VS Code, how do I take the preconfigured files here, and update them for the 1.4. I’m not to worried about searching and changing values, but how do I get the basics for the Lowrider2 into a version with the SKR 1.4 (or is it there already)??

Next question, which set of firmware would I download to use… I have the SKR 1.4 (basic) the BTT TFT24, DRV8825’s the rest is a kit from Ryan (stock lead screw). Does this equate to a Rambo branch for the purposes of the firmware? Then modify config.h for the different board and drivers, or can I merge firmware… i’m very new to the compiling world…

Gotta love it… Ordering table wood tomorrow, rods and router shortly. Yeah !..

1 Like

Are you planning on wiring the steppers in series? It might be easier to start with a configuration from the rambo.

Im thinking the dual endstops… Go big or go home…
I already have a couple customers lined up with the understanding of the beginner situation… I think the job lends itself to lots of repeatability and repetitive cuts…

You can start with the v1cnc_rambo_dual branch. Off the top of my head, you’ll need these changes:

• change the board to skr 1.4
  • change the drivers to drv8825
  • change the steps/mm to 200,200,800 assuming you have all the jumpers for 1/32nd microstepping
  • disable dual Y axis in condiguration_adv.h
  • enable dual Z (and dual z endstop).
  • disable the “full graphics” lcd.
  • enable the tft24, which I think involves setting the serial ports correctly. I am not sure.
2 Likes

OUTSTANDING. What a great start. That is basically what i was hoping, i just didn’t know what changes would be needed… But it all makes sence. That dual Y is a little confusing but its all good. I guess i would also skip that 2nd plug the off the y driver. Where do we assign the E01 as an example to the z2 stepper controll? Not sure if it is those two that match but where is that done so i can verify they match…

1 Like

OK, Well I seem to have it working… there are a few things now to figure out. The motors turn on the right directions, and are paired as expected. I am going to check now that the end stops work correctly. I don’t have them yet, can I just plug in some jumper cables and close the circuit… just to verify behavior?

I also have some config.adv.h questions about the endstop config that doesn’t really make sense. I’ll send those after I test to see if my wonderings are right or wrong…

Also, the LCD in serial mode does not work, it only works in Marlin mode, when the USB connectivity is working. Set serial mode to 0 and USB connectivity works but serial graphic mode TFT24 does not. Set serial mode to -1 and graphic mode works, but USB does not? Is there a way to get both USB and graphic serial mode to work?

So far SO COOL… lol

1 Like

Alrighty. Its alive. Everything seems to work. Thanks jeff.

2 Likes

Hi Scott

Just wondering what you ended up changing to get everything happening. Any chance you have the firmware available? I’m doing a very similar setup and am having some trouble.

I will do my best to put it up tonight. Hopefully it helps some folks. Even better if someone could clean it up some…

1 Like

Hi,
I’m also building a similar lr2 with the skr v1.4 turbo with endstops , tmc 2209 's and a tft35 e3 v3.0 lcd. I was wondering if you posted up your firmware or config files? Seems like alot of builders are try out the skr boards. I just want to make sure I’m going in the right direction.

Thanks in advance
Rob.

1 Like

OK, I think it is available now on GitHub. I felt like I was going to blow up GitHub by publishing my changes… lol… but they are there… They are based off of V1’s Rambo Dual as the original, but I have made changes to the Configs, Platform.IO and Pins to make it work for mine. In Pins, I have moved the extruder to P2-03, added X2 and Y2 etc.
Please let me know how it goes, and feel free to clean it up.

1 Like

You can set EXTRUDERS=0 in the latest versions of Marlin.

I was wondering if you could do that on the “EXTRUDERS=” Thanks Jeffeb3!

Thanks Scott P.
I’ll have to check this out tonight and compare it when I get home. I configured and complied one two days ago that passed. I flashed it and its moving but there’s a lot I need to change still (DUAL Y AND Z, ENDSTOPS… etc) I have the Y motors in parallel on one driver as well as the Z motors atm.

Ya. I have managed to get working (it seems) for all independent drivers and endstops so check it out. Make sure to move the steppers down a set of plugs so they are not twinned. I will do the extruder change shortly and change the pin outs back for the extruder. I will be setting up an ssr shortly along with fans for my control box.

I think this was one of my issues with the board- It wasn’t super clear which header corresponded to which driver, and which driver corresponded to which stepper in the firmware.

“I think this was one of my issues with the board- It wasn’t super clear which header corresponded to which driver, and which driver corresponded to which stepper in the firmware.”

Agreed.

I finally got it up and running with the dual endstop’s and so now its homing. I had put the Y2 and Z2 motors on separate drivers (E0M and E1M connecters) along with endstop switchs ( on EODET AND E1DET connectors) .

Hey Rob,

Do you happen to have your Marlin setup on GitHub? I’ve been having issues with Dual end stops and self leveling. Any help would be helpful! :slight_smile:

Hi, I have built Marlin for MPCNC - works perfectly, with dual - you may just want to adjust the speed if you feel it is too slow…

You will have to look into platformio.ini, config.h, config_adv.h and pins (LP1768). Configured with dual steppers for X and for Y with TMC2209 steppers… runs oh so smooth.

I am new user so not entitled to upload files on the forum - nor can I paste links… Happy to share with anyone interested, just ping me

Hope that will help
Cheers

Not yet but will try to get posted by the end of the weekend. I base mine off Scott P’s git hub link above. I still need to make minor adjustments in the configs.