Trying to Understand Z Axis Rigitity

I am not questioning that a longer Z axis will loose rigidity. I am trying to understand why.

Is that distance from the cutter to the Z axis bearings? If so, does that mean I could build a large Z, but when I needed accuracy I could raise my workpiece?

Thanks

Ben

That in fact has been suggested, either have a spoil board that you can take out or drop for thicker materials or raise the material so the lever action of a long Z axis is minimized for most of use. The ability to drop the bed seems a better option because you aren’t dealing with long corner tubes which could introduce flex.

Here’s how I have been thinking about it.

Three of many considerations for establishing z height: 1. If you are doubling as a printer too, folks want more Z, but that compromises rigidity for milling. 2. To work on thicker piece of material, but since endmills are going only 20mm depth before collet interference, that does mean that you aren’t going to be cutting material thicker than that in normal cases. 3. Carving the surface of thicker material, like a cutting board. In that case, it would be better to have a drop center with a removable spoil board since you aren’t going all the way through.

Yes. The two things that get worse with higher Z is the tilt of the Z axis away from vertical and the flex of the four legs at the corners. The flex of the legs is much smaller and is insignificant. This is good news because it means propping up the workpiece gives you a rigid machine. If the legs bent a lot then you would need a different workaround.

That’s exactly what i do experience with a 3kg watercooled spindle even the height of m z-axis (legs) is only around 6" which sould give me more flexibility when (for example) cutting/milling foam.
It’s slightly tilted and the weight of the spindle makes it more worse …