Tom is about to do his build

Having these livestreams as a reference for first time builders is going to be nice, especially for people who don’t have much experience with this sorta thing.

1 Like
2 Likes

Keep wanting to watch this…but the time it’s at I’m busy at work and I don’t have an hour and a half in the evenings to catch up :frowning: So I keep checking in here for highlights from those who have had time to watch :wink:

I just turned it on even though I’m at work and see Tom’s bolting it down to the base, and one of the first comments to scroll by was “I’m curious to see how it holds up over time”. Which made me smile because this morning when I logged into FB I saw that this is the 3rd anniversary of me bolting down my 3’x4’ machine :slight_smile:

So my pre-burly, pre-529 (or whatever that number was) version is still going strong (even printed out of PETG which some people on the FB page will tell you won’t work). Admittedly I mostly use it for cutting foam with my needle cutter…but it’s done plenty of PVC sheets, Acrylic, various woods, and some homemade composites over those 3 years.

I’m starting to get serious about finally upgrading it to a Burly too…but…just built the v2 lack table enclosure for my mk3s as a warmup (1200 hours of printing in that darn thing!) and last night went to power it back up after finishing the enclosure…only to realize I got two of the power wires swapped :frowning: So now I have to figure out just how many parts I managed to fry and order replacements before I can start printing Burly parts :frowning:

It is pretty weird to see the build happening. I love it when he questions something, looks at the instructions again and the info is in bold, hehehehe. It’s the small things. I still can’t imagine how hard it must be on the other side. Makes me want to do some sort of maker space build night/s though.

I saw you pop in. 3 years is pretty awesome for me to hear. glad you got to hang out for at least a few minutes.

I think it’s gone extremely well. Tom is pretty critical of most things and he has really not found any enormous issues. Many of his complaints come back to the fact that he’s thinking aloud. There was clear enjoyment coming through as it was coming together. It’s fun to see it through his eyes, because it’s new to him and it’s somewhat of a celebrity.

It’s frustrating to see the same 6 or so questions we always hear (dremel, concrete tubes, belts/zip ties, can it mill diamonds, abs, that will never work). Even multiple times in the same stream. I suppose its similar to how everyone asks about Tom’s camera gear, or what the 3d printer is in the background.

Definitely going better than the bob build :slight_smile:

1 Like

So many repeat questions, and a lot that ask specific questions and just keep trying even though they get answered several times. Steel belts…so many times. One person was trolling hard and getting ignored completely. I have elevated permissions I was wondering if I should have banned them but it was too funny. Same person, First one was “XXXX machine is way better”, then “MPCNC SUCKS!” I think there was a third one but I was typing at the time.

I am pretty stoked that a lot of the choices and decisions we have settled on over time are not lost on Tom, even simple things like why PLA. That part is cool, and “I am going to try it as designed first then change something if needed” What music to my ears! Teaching techs video was awesome but I have not sold and resistors in a few years until now and 80% of the LR kits going out have no board, resistor, and dual wires…I wish he would have split up the videos not to include dual right away.

Bottom line, so awesome to have such cool YouTubers even try it out let alone get a few videos out of it each. Add these to Some old Guy Coding’s videos and we are covered for build instructions now!

1 Like

I was bummed out I didn’t get to watch live this time. Probably won’t get to see Friday’s live either, I think I’ll be cabling a new township office.

The last one was the best so far, today’s wasn’t as exciting but still pretty fun. So you at least got the best one so far.

No live stream on Friday, he’s going biking with his dad. Saturday he should be doing electronics. I’ll be playing pool Saturday at 10 so I’ll miss the live feed yet again. I’d kind of like to try his spindle, I like the speed feedback and 12,000RPM isn’t too slow. He’s semi-mentioned faster would be better, so we need to dissuade him on that. Someone could also point out that if he mounts the spindle a bit higher then even driving down into the piece wouldn’t be as likely to catch fire since the Z mount would hit just before the collet.

1 Like

I have to say, overall this has been going much better than I had expected. I am very impressed with Tom, thinking on his feet live the way he is, his smarts and expertise really shows in a way that’s not possible in a scripted recording.

1 Like

He misspoke in the live stream. There isn’t one today, but there will be one tomorrow:

2 Likes

It sure is bothersome to hear people whine about how bad imperial is.

Or how dumb the US is for using it… when they’re clamoring to use a product that’s made in the US by Americans…

Anyway, I’m surprised someone hasn’t designed a 3d printed sleeve that slips around the metric nuts and goes up to the size of the imperial nuts. Would be a 30 second print most likely, and save everyone from what I’ve seen referred to as the “most difficult” part of their builds.

Tim, as far as I understand, if Ryan goes to the length of maintaining 3 versions of the files for MPCNC, including the 25mm ones, it’s because he “targets” also non US customers/users. Likewise, the instructions list metric parts.

So when people (including me) whine about imperial parts it’s because the design is NOT completely/hasslessly metric compatible while it’s more or less implied.

As for sleeves, I’m not sure they would be strong enough/precise enough to effectivement get rid of the problem.

Perhaps a few people should try and use them, and feed the result back to Ryan. If the sleeves do the job, adding them to thingiverse and the parts/instructions wold increase ease of construction…

I’ve seen the nut sleeves/nutblocks before, but it was pre burly / new feet though.

Let’s keep it civil. There are lots of people outside the us that want to use it. There are lots of people.in the us that prefer metric. That’s not what’s at stake here. The trouble is the hardware that Ryan has easy access to is not available everywhere.

Everyone has had the argunent about us vs the world or imoerial vs metric. It’s easy to bring that right into this discussion. But this really is more about the fact that Ryan has access to some parts that arent everywhere.

I think this is definitely going to be changed soon by Ryan (it’s a dark shadow on an otherwise great build series). But in his defense, 1) Assembling the machine is just one part. Keep that in perspective. The nut traps don’t affect the performance of the machine when milling (but some solutions would). 2) The workaround of jamming in a flathead screwdriver looks odd, but for the 20 screws and nuts, Tom did fine after the first one.

In Tom’s defense, imagine all the things you would say out loud while building a new machine. If you had 1k people watching like and several more watching later, I’m guessing you would say all kinds of things that would seem out of proportion.

Not referring to Tom, he was very civil. Referring to all the people in the comments of the live stream who have never designed a thing in their entire lives and wouldn’t be capable if they tried.

Also "Tim, as far as I understand, if Ryan goes to the length of maintaining 3 versions of the files for MPCNC, including the 25mm ones, it’s because he “targets” also non US customers/users. Likewise, the instructions list metric parts.

So when people (including me) whine about imperial parts it’s because the design is NOT completely/hasslessly metric compatible while it’s more or less implied."

The instructions are very clear about the minor inconvenience with metric hardware. So it is not implied that it works “hasslessly”.

Ryan and many Americans. Even if Ryan had access to metric parts, it would still make sense for him to keep the MPCNC design “Imperial Compatible”. While I think Americans should switch to metric, and while I don’t have the cultural understanding of why you don’t switch, it’s not in the cards yet, so Imperial it is.

Yet, the whole rest of the world uses metric. And when someone like Tom downloads the files, prints 3 pounds of PLA in a week, buys the “recommended hardware”, and while assembling has a few troubles, no wonder he expresses some kind of surprise…

Thomas is also “in the wrog” there, since the screwdriver tip is noted associated to the screws/nuts… or was it added recently ?

During his livestreams, he doesn’t stay closes to the instructions, and more than once slipped over some hints/tips. But yeah, Livestreams… And errors that I did when I made my MPCNC.

I made an edit to my comment after you posted this, so I will redirect you up there. But next to those bolts in the instructions, it has a footnote that says “The difference in the size of nuts requires some creative tightening if you don’t use #6’s on a few parts. A small flat head screw driver can usually be wedged in to stop the nuts from rotating if you have an issue.” So I don’t think anyone has been misled. I remember this footnote existing when I built my machine many months ago now.

In my eyes it doesn’t benefit Ryan very much to maintain a whole separate set of files just for metric hardware? Because most likely, if people are buying metric hardware, they are probably buying the rest of their components in Europe anyway to save money on shipping. So he is not profiting any way from those people. He is just giving away his hard work for free.

Yup. We are several versions in now, each has changed. The two newest parts Tool mount, nut traps. Are both 100% metric supported. I pay attention. I can also tell you I am super glad to see Tom’s series as I had no idea those dam cap heads were THE common standard in metric. I would never have designed for that. I can’t get them locally at all, I will have to order a whole set to help in iterating.

The truth of it is it doesn’t really bother me because 99% of the time you are not putting it together you are using it, so that is where I focus my limited time. I want to help people get there first cuts and then help them get better. CAM, Endmills, Control firmware, Control hardware, prices. All of those are far far more important that having to jam a screwdriver in there…which by the way US builders have to do on a few 5/16" nuts. The holes fit the largest shafts and the nuts stops fit the largest nuts it is that simple, both are equally designed for.

When I do make a new part I will consider all hardware. I really don’t think me spending my time changing nut holes would be appreciated nearly as much as me releasing an entire set of new parts, if they perform better and/or are cheaper easier to source.

2 Likes

People complain equally about using PLA, and rail diameter, and software, operating systems, Tool diameter, work hold down, table design, control boards. Currently other that tom’s video I had not heard much complaints about the nuts the new trend is control boards, and rail complaints.

Ps that little note at the bottom of the parts list comes with an amazing video. I will have to break that out as it seems not many have seen it.

1 Like