Tom is about to do his build

Live stream Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ucXe-W2dRI

Way more fun today. If you can the Chat keeps this pretty interesting as this goes you can see and hear Tom go through all the things we have all gone through during a build. Super positive and fun (like these forums).

I am really going to have to step up and fix some parts and instructions after this. I have only seen Gene and Tom build this and they didn’t seem to have any of the same problems. So I will have to re-watch them both and try to fix some things.

https://grammarist.com/usage/zee-zed/

" U.S. pronunciation probably came about by analogy with the letters bee, cee, dee, gee, and so on"

…

We can do that? Can we start using the word “wee” instead of “double u”? I guess we’ll need to rethink the song.

1 Like

So I’m going to suggest just moving away from nut traps entirely. Leave enough space for a socket to fit and beef up around it if needed. The extra material while printing will be way more than offset by the lack of complaints.

I’m still waiting for the inevitable “whoops, I put that in backwards” or “darn, I missed that part” that means he gets to take it apart a bit before going forward again. He almost did it with the side rollers… :slight_smile:

That means larger part, larger footprint, longer print times, smaller build area, weaker part (further from the rail the more the plastic has to carry the load). It also means all the other parts will just get nagging comments. So it is a all or nothing things…I fixed the toolmount and the nut traps and now it is corners and clamps.

I do get it and I will revisit the corners each iteration has progressed and regressed in a few ways.

But seriously for years and it has not been all that big of a deal, once he picked up the screw driver (and used it on the right direction of rotation) is wasn’t a big deal for him either. If he wasn’t using a power drill and reading comments while he was doing that it would not have been a big deal I don;t think.

I have a choice now. I am paying for commercial hardware bagging to free up some engineering time. So now do I iterate the current parts to make 4mm nuts fit better or just keep working on the actual redesign, which I hope to improve rigidity and help with 4mm nuts?

People complain about assembling ikea furniture, and I can’t think of anything that has had more hours in testing and design to make it easy to assemble. There is no end, the root problem is that smart people have idle minds while turning a screw driver, so they will always bring up something they are thinking of improving (myself included).

There’s some good notes in here, and there might be some clever way to improve the nuts/nut traps, but obviously, nothing is broken. People are having fun and making machines dirty.

But, as there is a group of smart people in these forums, you’ll always be hearing about it Ryan.

I personally wouldn’t mind moving completely to metric hardware (ducks).

1 Like

All I can honestly say for certain is I have dropped the ball. I do have notepads full of ideas, a company wanting to commission a open sourced machine of my design, and lots of amazing feedback to act on. Sadly I have been packaging orders and parts since the big move in Feb and losing my part time helper.

I am an engineer first and should not be sitting on a stool bagging bolts. This is the first issue I am working on, then back to making new fun stuff! and…also updating instructions and stuff… My business savvy is worse than my social skills.

1 Like

WRT Metric vs imperial, I’ve seen the proposition to put one side imperial nuttrap, the other metric trap. Would it be compatible with the screw heads on the other side ?

I have not doubled checked but I am pretty sure I tried, the tiny M4 nuts are not big enough for a US screw head.

Me, too! (also ducks… hey, Jeff! which way did you go?)

I got my hardware straight from Ryan. So it’s imperial.

I need to go watch the build. I only got to see maybe a half hour of it at lunch, then work got in the way.

I knew something was off, I saw a reply or two then nothing. I postponed work to watch it so now I am still at it for a while longer.

What time of day does it start here on the west coast US?

10am, I think.

Yup 10am. He puts a link on his twitter feed a few minutes before. I will try to remember to add on here when he does.

I just tried to go in and add metric equivalents to the rest of the instructions before he got to them…They were already there for the newer parts. Dang it I looked like a doofus one those first three pages.

Hey, you might want to shoot him a message.

https://toms3d.org/2019/08/24/the-mpcnc-build-list/

You’ll also need a set of printed parts – they’re available to print yourself, but you can also buy a printed set from V1 engineering or order a set through 3DHubs (or similar services).
1 Like

Up for today ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPRapQVz_xI

(oops, any way to delete the duplicate ?)

Â