The 'Black and Blue' LR3 build

Perfect, thanks. Makes sense

Question- why is Zhome at +200mm if we are using 80mm max travel, lead screws?

Because it doesnā€™t matter. It is never exactly 80, so 79.5 or 200 is the same. Keep those the same then we do not have to maintain another Marlin branch and it can still be used for LR2 Dual builds.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I figured.

Is there any way to reconfigure that so a hard limit can be programmed so you donā€™t drive your x axis into the coupling?

Assume not since any point on the Z can be called 0, throwing off whatever number is set, so it would need to be a physical switch. Maybe just an in-line endstop with one of the stepper power wires, but then it would need a bypass to disengage if it was ever tripped

Asking for a friend, lol

No. Your endmill should hit far before your couplers do in most cases.

Good point

I need to stop posting on zero sleep when my kids are running around

2 Likes

I have a rpi 3b+ running octoprint on my 3d printer

What would happen if I just stole it and hooked it up to my LR3 skr pro using the usb cable?

It will work fine.

1 Like

Just ā€˜plug it in and goā€™ fine, or

reflash the software and spend 30 minutes getting it to connect to my wifiā€™ fine?

Thanks Jeff

You might have to redefine the baud rate that the Octoprint machine talks to the LR, as it may be different from the printer. Otherwise, no changes to the Pi needed.

3 Likes

sweet

ill try that once i get a few mins. just messing around, trying things out

any plugins other than cnc gcode viewer worth looking at? i cant find many cnc plugins on the repository

thanks

1 Like

2 Likes

The baud rate is usually set to automatic, which will detect the new machine fine. I donā€™t see anything that would break from the default build.

Cnc takes a lot less functionality than printing. A lot fewer plugins matter. You may still want some of the comfort plugins though. Nothing to help you leave your machine (stay with the machine, it is more dangerous than a 3D printer).

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely- no way Iā€™m planning to leave it.

Iā€™m very interested in setting up ā€˜hot keysā€™ so that I can script certain movements- home, move to x50Y50 (for piece registration using physical stops) zprobing script, so I can turn machine on, place piece, hit three buttons consecutively, and then be ready to go.

Right now- in my very early stages- Iā€™ve been doing some of that in console, or by running small gcode files stored in the V1 custom folder.

I just went and moved it to the LR3, took a few minutes to connect after power up, but I got it moving and homing from the Octopod app on my phone. Pretty cool!

2 Likes

There are macros you can set. And I think there is a plugin with a little more macro functionality.

yep- already set up a few in Octoprint, but i was running them from the v1 custom folder in the marlin mode

Now Iā€™m second guessing use case and table size.

Sigh

Just built this for a 3x5 area- but thatā€™s not a format that sheet good come in. I can get half sheet plywood at 2x4, and full sheet is 4x8ā€¦ so Iā€™m either wasting bed space, or wasting plywood off cuts to trim it down to bed size. Stupid oversight

Also- nice the wife saw it in action, and realised what it can do- my messages are full of Pinterest ideas in the 24x24ā€ size rangeā€¦ maybe I need to build a dedicated primo plus laser for doing vcarve inlays and smaller parts after all

ā€˜Locking inā€™ to a decision sucks so bad when you are indecisive, lol

1 Like

I have had my LowRiderā€™s at 2x4ā€™ for a long time now. For me that is still very large and mostly goes unused, but I do slap 1/4 sheets on and use it that way for YZ plate orders. So if you are worried I think 2x4 is still a lot.

2 Likes

My LR3 is pretty close to the 3ā€™ by 5ā€™ size. Itā€™s a little wider than 3ā€™ actually, but thatā€™s the size that I think about it being.

Itā€™s pretty easy to make the machine smaller. Take it apart, cut down some tubes, put it back together. (If youā€™re planning ahead, cut new struts for the beam first.) Itā€™s a little more involved to make it bigger.

1 Like

If- IF- I did go for another option, like a 24x24 primo, Iā€™d be making this one full sheet and moving it to the garage. Would give me a reason to move all the stored junk out of the third garage

Really depends on how/if the CNC impacts the business. If it turns out to be a viable part, and and I can expand, that would be a great option.

2 Likes