I did it before school run

150mm left side - stopblock to X0
150mm right side stopblock to xMax

My spoil board is a little bigger as you can see

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, that helps a bunch. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No problem

It is not included in the drawings because it is not a fixed point.

Your X endstop will dictate that.

1 Like

Ah, makes sense. Helps anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey @Tokoloshe , importing the existing drawing into Fusion 360 calibrating for size help me answer some questions. Shared details here. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Interesting. I use it on my LR2 and X is left/right arrow. I’m using keyboard control mode in cnc.js, that’s probably the difference.

1 Like

Yeah, this is purely because of the way the ESP3D software award coded to do the translation.

As far as I know, the guy writing the ESP3D software has been looped in and has actually changed it.

And @azab2c actually did an awesome workaround that lets you/me remap any of the keys we want, which is cool

2 Likes

This is a super interesting thread. Thanks for sharing.

What are you using for software to generate the gcode for router and laser? Carveco?

3 Likes

Cool. BTW I just found your thread as I contemplate converting my LR2 to a 3. Great reading :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate that!

Yes, correct.

I just couldn’t get a hang of Estlcam, plus I found a 3 month free trial for carveco and it’s very intuitive. So now I’m paying monthly, and all I need to do is make sure I sell 1 board a month to cover it.

And Lightburn for laser stuff. 2 week free trial, then an extra week, and a $60 one-off payment. It’s already paid for itself in how much extra personalization that you can do.

1 Like

Thanks, I appreciate that.

1 Like

So, feb 13, I got Covid. Parents in law brought it in. Been a slog

I still have a couple residual issues that I’m working through, but I’ve been using down time to get ducks in a row. Business plan, YT channel plan etc

Anyway- I’m back. Hopefully doing an LR3 project on Friday- just a few carved boxes. They seem popular.

5 Likes

Glad you are back, since your tiny bee was the last nudge I needed towards the LowRider. I made some inlays and am really happy how they turned out. They are not as tiny as your bee, but the bee isn’t an inlay. :yum:

4 Likes

Ooooooffff

That sounds like a challenge!! I want to do a bee inlay now to prove it can be done.

I’m going back over your boom arm build. I’m thinking of doing a YouTube video on the LR3, and cutting the parts for the boom arm as the project. Although I may do a bee inlay now, instead. Or as well. Show the extremes.

5 Likes

That’s the spirit. :smile: Did I share all the boom arm files? I am going to check.

I did: Boom Arm Final - #18 by Tokoloshe

2 Likes

What did you use for your pivot pin, again? 1/4” rod or 1/2” conduit?

I’m debating actually just going with a single side, and not a box, and having the hose simply attached to the arm with zip ties or Velcro wraps. Would simplify both the actual arm and the mount build

1 Like

I used 8mm threaded rods and nylock nuts.

I actually made plans for a shorter, extendable arm for the table itself but haven’t gotten around cutting it.

If you just use a single side you are losing a bit of stiffness, but not too much. There is s lot of maths involved and I am not very good at it. :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, the reason I mentioned the single piece version is that there is a boom arm a YouTube woodworker mad a year ago, and it kinda went viral in the field- pretty much every new shop tour in the space has one. It’s basic, but no one has mentioned issues. Not a new idea but he he showcased it in his opening series of videos and it took off

I do like the box though, is much more substantial plus it contains the hose. I’m not a massive fan of the ‘hose ziptied to the side’ aesthetic

And a power cord (that I still have to install) and one more empty pipe for air if I ever buy a compressor. ;D

2 Likes