The 'Black and Blue' LR3 build

[Fold up table demo]

14 Likes

DUDE! That is slick

3 Likes

Thanks

Working on the actual top, ‘rails’ and spoilboards today/ tomorrow.

Hoping to be cutting struts over the weekend

1 Like

1/2” plywood for racking resistance, followed by 3/4” MDF ‘rails’ for the apparatus to ride on.

Middle section is a full 36.5x 64” cut area, and will be 1/2” ply topped with 3 36x 22” spoilboards.

Haven’t figured out how I’m fixing them in place yet, or workholding. Not a huge fan of the mdf segments and t-track, but it works for the big boys.

Thinking regularly, strategically spaced holes that will accept small cut offs of 1/2” pvc that I can use as stops for wedges. I’ve seen it done on “Broinwood” YT channel and it looks like it works well

2 Likes

Just make sure you have clearance for clamps. Some of those t track clamps are too big to fit under the LR.

I just have a spoil board and I use drywall screws as clamps. I’ve even hit one before and it was fine. If I can’t drill into the workpiece (because it isn’t a cutout part), I use a scrap piece of wood with a woodscrew in it as a clamp. Works for me.

3 Likes

Oops.

I didn’t realize the 1/2” ply I was gifted and I just cut into for the sub base, was walnut veneer… lol

5 Likes

And the funniest part is that that will be under the mdf spoilboards

Need to make sure my FIL doesn’t figure it out

1 Like

Stowed position

3 Likes

You should probably add a maple inlay.

4 Likes

Might do a 30” wide v-carve inlay test crown

2 Likes

Just did the XY squaring test and it’s within 1/32 of an inch/ 0.8mm.

Yeah boi!!!

That was with my sharpest v bit plunged 0.2mm below the mdf surface to leave a spot, and darkened with a 0.3mm mechanical pencil lead.

So- maybe 0.5mm out of square over a 900X/ 1500mm Y rectangle

1 Like

‘Freehanding’ some 1/8” upcut and 60degree v cuts in foam. Super basic, but yay!

Going to spend an hour after dinner making some gcode, and I’ll do more foam.

A lot quieter than I thought, so good chance I’ll play around with it tonight after kids are in bed.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Perfect!

1 Like

I am BLOWN AWAY at how clean the shapes came out, and how accurate it all is.

Upcut vs MDF was messy, but the foam
Was super crisp. Used the standard parameters in the milling page, and the 1/8” bit I got in the kit.

Still have a lot to do- dust collection, power cable management (thinking a swing out boom arm, couple feet above the middle of the table) kill switch, router control.

Got a bowl bit and a few sizes v-bits coming soon, and taking a trip to the lumber yard for some walnut and maple so I can do some feed and speed tests over the next week.

Appreciate all your hard work in bringing this tech within reach and opening up this crazy hobby to me. I have a feeling this may be a major part of the woodworking business I’m building.

4 Likes

Glad to have you around, and enjoying this with us. The excitement is contagious. Believe it or not your thread has had a lot to do with all I have gotten done the last couple days. Your are having fun and learning, so I have been doing the same.

3 Likes

That’s great to hear. Thanks man.

1 Like

Lol, so was doing a quick 1/4” mdf cutout of the ‘peloton P’ for my wife (she’s a peloton nerd) for on the gym wall, and she came into the shop to see what I was doing. So, surprise blown.

She about flipped when she saw it though. “So, the CNC can do that?

Yes babe, I’ve been telling you this for like 3 months.

An hour later I get a Pinterest board share request FILLED with Cnc projects that she wants for the house, for gifts, etc, with the accompanying statement that “whatever cutters or files you need, get them”

So- lumberyard for walnut and maple next week, Amana and SpeTools for bits, and Carveco maker software on the download list.

I feel like it’s Christmas lol

8 Likes

So, it might not be pretty, but the over-table boom air for the 2.5” dust collection and power cords works great.

I didn’t even have to cut anything- threw it all together in 25 minutes with scraps that were already sized, and used a surplus drawer slide for the folding mechanism (so the arm doesn’t arc quite as much as it pushes back compared to a fully rigid arm)

V2 will be have be mounted on a French cleat, a Voronoi pattern and some integrated hooks so the whole thing can be packed away when I need to move/stow the table

8 Likes

May have gone a little too deep on last nights cut, lol

3 Likes