Terrible noise when cutting

Hi All,

Im having issues with my Primo build, I believe it is all square, movement is good but my Z axis appears to be way out, using a tramming tool i have 1-2mm out, I’ve shimmed the bottom router mount and gotten it withing 0.5mm using the tramming tool, however it still sounds horrible when cutting, and does not appear to be cutting very well. I’ve attached some photos of my setting from estlcam and a video of the machine cutting through some pine for reference. The bit in the video is a 2 flute 3.175mm straight cut.

I’m ready to pull it apart and try again I just dont want to do that and end up in the same boat, any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The cutting sounds are normal, the “stuttering” sound it sometimes does suggested that one screw somewhere on the core is a bit loose.

Thank you, to my ear it sounds like the load on the bit is high, but it doesn’t change much with feed rate, DOC or spindle speed adjustments, so maybe it is normal.
listening to the video again I think you might be right about a bolt being loose, ill check that out.

1 Like

So I’ve gone back to basics a bit, I noticed the Z axis clamp bolts were not nylock and had been done up nice and snug, I guess I ran out of nylock nuts, thats been resolved now.
I pulled all the belts, began by squaring up the machine legs again (somehow they were 5mm out…)
made sure all the legs were equal heights, checked the gantries, ensured they were squared up and running smoothly.
I then removed the shims from my router mount and lo and behold I’m out of tram, using the makita tramming tool from printables I’m quite out, like 1-2mms, if i pull the bottom of the core towards X,Y 0 the error goes away, do I need to reprint the core? It seems to be tilted and I cant figure out how to fix it. any ideas?

Are the core clamps tight, all the bearings making contact, or can you “wobble” the core?

I can definitely wobble the core, like it’s not loose but I can move it back and forward a little bit, enough so the tram error I see with the tramning tool goes away, I didn’t tighten them too much as I didn’t want to knock the gantries out of square, or am I misunderstanding the purpose of those clamps?

The core should not wobble at all, tighten them more. Squaring is the secondary problem. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes seems like I had my priorities backwards there, I will tighten them up tomorrow night and see how we go from there, thank you :+1::+1:

1 Like