Successful LR2 to LR3 Upgrade in Seattle!

Greetings,

I built an LR2 5 ish years ago, works great but always struggled with Z axis (had to bump up the current on Mini Rambo quite a bit,) didn’t have a Z probe, various stuff i never really got around to remedying. Also it took up so much space in my garage and I wished it was easier to store. My table wasnt very flat and I never got around to surfacing it. So it kinda fell into disuse.

Randomly decided to see if there was a new version and saw the LR3 was available, the most appealing feature to me was that it is relatively easy to remove from the table for storage. Then i saw Doug’s video showing probing Z and was sold.

Ordered the hardware upgrade kit from Ryan and the jackpot controller. Started my build around Thanksgiving 2023, working occasionally on the weekends, and finished (crown test) last weekend.

Core took 27 hours to print on my Creality Ender 3. Probably could have tweaked that, and nearly bought a bambu labs printer instead!
Hatchbox Metallic Red PLA. Shiny!

Used my LR2 to make the flat MDF and hardboard parts before I disassembled it. I surfaced a diagonal area and cut the hardboard on my table saw first.

4 Likes

Started assembling on Jan 1, after getting sidetracked with a laser cutter (atomstack a5 upgraded to 10w M50 laser, love it.)
I printed parts on Ender 3 and an old Anet a8, took about 1.5 kg of pla.

I had quite a bit of hardware left over from the LR2 at the end. Quite a few ball bearings to reuse for other stuff!

Got my XZ plates from ryan. Used bitingmidge’s STRUT NUT ENCAPSULATOR.

Used Ryan’s table design but extended a bit to make a cutout for vertical clamping eventually. Glue and nailgun. Cut whole thing on table saw, 1/2" MDF.

Skinned both sides with 1/8" hardboard and nailgun, no glue. Rails are mdf boards from Lowe’s hardware. Surface will be replaceable 49X49" 3/4 Mdf. I thought it was 48x48 but measured and sure enough, 49x49.

4 Likes

Got wiring squared away with plastic clip things from someone here, big cable loom I got from Vetco electronics. Dougs remix of the jackpot enclosure. Ended up pretty clean, which i was grateful for when the MDF dust storm began!
Surfacing was just a mess of dust despite my massive dust collector.
Trammed and squared beforehand. Easy with the Jackpot.

Bigass Laguna dust collector with a Rockler quick change adapter to smaller shop vac hose.

The was so much MDF dust thrown that the Z linear bearings actually seized up. Superlube and moving up and down a few times seems to have fixed that.

I used my patented Dust Stick ™ to kinda capture some of the jetlike dust spray!

Wore a respirator and i have an air cleaner, otherwise unhealthy city! I am liking the floating dust shoe idea now!

3 Likes

Crown test thanks to Doug and Jamie’s kinematic tool holder and pen holder.

Precision collet has zero visible runout, cant wait to use it.

Made a clamp. Then a few more.

Made a chicken.

Made a saw handle and finished it on the router table. It will be a replaceable push stick. More on that later…

Feels good to have this beast working!
Thank you Ryan and to the community. Overall pretty easy build. I’m an engineer so not a total n00b.

Next I will work on teardown and storage. Will probably add wheels to the side of my table to roll it around.

-Will

7 Likes

Looks great!!! I really like that clamp!!! Do you happen to have the dxf file for it?? Wouldnt mine making a few myself!

Sure, I’ll upload it when i get home! Will parameterize it while I’m at it, it was just a 5 minute Fusion 360 thing i slapped together to test the lr3.

1 Like

Man oh Man, you will like that cutout. I have also seen where peeps put in a notch so they can fill it with a blank and have a full table! great work!

4 Likes

Awesome!! Thanks!!

Looking forward to it! I saw a video where someone routed dovetailed slots in the vertical part of their table, using those Microjig sliding clamps on it. Probably go that route to start.
Here it is, around 2 minutes in https://youtu.be/-AxJ6DHqa-I then actual use around 9 minutes for box joints.

1 Like

Cool to see someone using those in the wild. Are they working out holding those connectors together?

1 Like

Yes! I wrapped with electrical tape for good measure, but likely not needed.
Thanks for the design! Printed fine with no support on my crappy Anet A8, so likely works for any printer.
Found it: LowRider 3 LR3 CNC Stepper and Endstop Extension Clip by stuffnobodyneeds - Thingiverse

2 Likes

Also I bought the sweet Kobalt router when it was on sale and a bunch of Er-11 collets, so will eventually switch over to that. DeWalt 611 + precision collet more than enough for now.

Clamp posted here: Simple Corner Clamp. Hope it’s useful!

2 Likes

Another community upgrade I made after delaminating the Y belt holder /endstops twice, one piece reinforced version.

https://www.printables.com/model/357225-lowrider-3-reinforced-front-y-belt-holder

Thanks author!

1 Like

Today is Blank Canvas day!

Really got it all dialed in, excited for what’s next…

4 Likes

Looks really nice!

What is next?

Not entirely sure, I think I’ll try to make the 10 drawer cabinet from Chris Fitch’s excellent “CNC Basecamp” Episode 009: 10 Drawer Cabinet | Woodsmith. Those totes look pretty handy too…

1 Like