Stepper Motor Fail?

Out of curiosity, when a stepper motor fails could it cause it to run sporadically forwards and backwards?

I was in the middle a job yesterday and the X axis seems to have failed. I took the X belts loose and tried moving it with the onboard controls. The front motor drives nicely but the rear X stepper sputters forwards and backward in my hand.

I tried switching the unused 2209 driver from E2 for the one driving the rear X stepper with the same result.

I ordered a replacement motor but it won’t arrive until Saturday, so in the meantime I thought I float this out to all of you gurus!

It is uncommon for steppers to fail. In my last two years participating on the forum. I’ve only seen two instances were the problem was trace to a bad stepper motor. I suggest you check the wiring first. A intermittent wiring break might behave as you’ve described.

1 Like

With @robertbu on this. Check your wiring. It’s possible the stepper is bad but not probable. Any issue I’ve had like that was a wiring/crimping/connection problem.

Yup, busted wire connection! Replaced the wire and back in business!

So, I preemptively ordered a 5 pack of stepper motors on Amazon in case the problem did turn out to be a stepper. And because it breaks down to $11 per motor I bought the same 5-pack that I had purchased to build my MPCNC Primo. My reasoning was maybe I could start slowly amassing the parts I need to build a Lowrider.

I’ve just read the build notes on the LR3. I’m hooked!! Going to start printing parts this weekend!!

Going the Jackpot route.

2 Likes

A Primo as a gateway drug :wink:? Glad you got your Primo fixed.

1 Like

All the ways lead to a LowRider. :smile:

1 Like

I’m hooked!

I got a nice big room at my plant that I can put it in!

What machines do you guys run?

“Just” a Primo for me. I don’t have space for a Lowrider.

1 Like

First a Primo, Schneewittchen, now a LowRider, Der Froschkönig, both are great machines. At the moment I am rebuilding Schneewittchen with a Jackpot as a plotter in a portable size for my school’s makerspace. :smile:

Cool!

If you had to guess, how many completed builds are there?

Seeing my build inspired a friend of mine to buy his first 3d printer. He texted me some pics of it and then right away he asked where to find the plans for the Primo. I sent him a link to V1!

1 Like

Ryan mentioned a few numbers once, but could only speculate on the actual count, since you can just build it. :smile: