Status on Lowrider 4

Hex heads fit already.

They do not come with the kits because they cost more and I have issues with them. I just had to take a hacksaw to one 3 days ago to get a stepper off.

1 Like

Remember let’s keep the requests to a minimum here please. I am 3,040 messages deep on the beta side plus two other threads. I am really getting the firehouse of suggestions. The RC2 just went to an RC3 so I will be busy again for a while.

7 Likes

There will be no pressing need to upgrade. The LR3 is a fantastic machine. You might at some point use your LR3 to cut parts for an eventual LR4 upgrade.

The LR4 does appear to be a noteworthy improvement , so I bet a lot of LR3 owners over time will elect to upgrade when they’re ready for it.

1 Like

I was really sad to disassemble Der Froschkönig as well. But a frog’s life is finite after all. :sweat_smile:
The GhostRider is an honourable successor though and I am pretty impressed with the new version.

3 Likes

VIDEO: LowRider v4 DIY CNC - NEW beta test cuts - 150mm/sec. 12mm depth of cut. 1/4” 1-flute carbide up-cut end mill from V1E.com. Kobalt router at 3 on dial!

@vicious1 - For these tests I still had the steppers at 1.0 amps. Later, perhaps on testing release candidate 2, I can try again with steppers back at 0.8 amps. However, the steppers are not hot on 1.0 amps. More soon!

9 Likes

That is just impressive. That is so much faster than I am running my LR3. And here I was thinking I wouldn’t upgrade for a bit. I want this now. Going to have to rethink this. Is it safe to assume that this would scale to a full 4x8, like the LR3? Or is that speed a trade on it scaling to a smaller size?

Philip

1 Like

I’ll be keeping my LR3 for a while longer. FWIW. I skipped the LR2 also. I consider myself an enthusiast. But I don’t have to have them all.

6 Likes

It’ll scale to 4x8 just like LR3. That X gantry uses larger tubing and an improved brace/strut plate design along with a much beefier core. The XZ plates are aluminum, and the YZ plates are siginficantly improved.

Obviously a very small machine footprint has some benefits, but what Doug is showing are what other builders are seeing. I can’t wait to get mine running so I can join in with the beta team exploring what the limits are.

2 Likes

Yes, Philip ( @Tokoloshe ) is running a much larger test machine (I think) and is also seeing great results! And @Jonathjon too (I think).

I plan to eventually build a full size LR4, and I’m confident it will be even stronger than my full size LR3, and that’s really saying something, because I used my LR3 (with 25.4mm tubes) and milled 1/4" thick aluminum in a single pass, and this LR4 machine has 29.5 mm tubes!

You guys mentioned some mysterious Australians who checked availability of tubing. Could you share the sources? Where they checked? Bunnings have some stuff, but I would love to get people’s sources. I am in melbourne but there are interested builders in Wellington (nz) and Brisbane.

1 Like

I would be one of them- presently on a train between Brussels and London so will update when I can find the thread discussing this.

Supply should not be a problem

3 Likes

Oops. Twice I posted here when the content should have been in an ongoing lounge discussion. Content removed from here, and placed there. So sorry.

2 Likes

Oops. Twice I posted here when the content should have been in an ongoing lounge discussion. Content removed from here, and placed there. So sorry.

2 Likes

I know we said no more feature requests. However. How about something like this?

I know LR4 is pretty far along, but maybe LR5?

1 Like

I think a system like this is beyond the scope and intention of Ryan’s design.

He wants a budget friendly machine that anyone can build and maintain.

Those rails would significantly increase the cost, and make customizing the size more difficult.

4 Likes

I am sorry. I was actually shitposting. I don’t want anyone to take this seriously.
I actually really really like the tubes and have gotten better results than I ever expected. I was looking forward to using my gold tube as a feature in my next build. But LR4 is clearly worth the upgrade.

5 Likes

:heart_eyes: I need to know about you GOLD tube. ( I am a sucker for shiny things!)

3 Likes

I was walking down the street and saw someone chucked out this gold lamp and some roller blades(Only wheel shown) and thought it was a sign from low rider gods.

My first one was made from a clothes rack. I find older stuff uses much thicker steel, while modern stuff is paper thin.
Edit: The dream is to make one 100% from trash. DIY filament from bottles, mdf from roadside furniture. I am pretty close. Need to find a place that throws out mgn12…

4 Likes

Just the 4 150mm are 65 bucks in the store! That looks very expensive!!

Use it, like jeff said no reason to upgrade if the lr3 is already there! I cannot tell is that aluminum or just silver painted wood for brace?