Status on Lowrider 4

nope! I have been cleaning out the carport and started on one of the two walls I need to build. Have to take it slow though. Can’t fit too much lumber in the back of a kia sportage. :rofl:

5 Likes

Two words… Roof Rack!

1 Like

Hi guys,

First of all I appreciate the work you are doing! Many thanks for that!

I have a question: I was in the process of ordering non-printable hardware for the lowrider 3 like controller board, stepper motors, bearings and such. Then I came across a remark that you are developing the lowrider 4. So I cancelled ordering stuff. I have not yet printed any parts.

My question:
Is the LR4 using the same hardware then the LR3? I other words: is the design of the LR4 only different in the printed parts or are you also using different controller components?

Thanks for your reply in advance and greetings from the Netherlands.

With kind regards,

Danny

1 Like

The present LR4 beta uses the same controllers and firmware that are used on LR3.
The hardware kit is very close to the same count of fasteners and uses the same motors and couplers.

Printed parts, plates, and tubing are all different.

One of my LR4 beta builds is using the LR3 hardware kit that I had from a partially assembled LR3.

It could be weeks or months before LR4 is ready for release.

Building or finishing an LR3 is still a good option. If nothing else, you could use an LR3 to make plates for LR4, and bootstrap an upgrade. Or you could wait it out if weeks to months feels OK to you for a wait.

1 Like

@D.Stultiens I would echo exactly what @MakerJim said, and just add, even if you don’t want to build a v3, you still won’t out anything much if you go ahead and order the v3 hardware kit. If you don’t plan to build a v3, and you do order the kit now, then just don’t order the v3 XZ plates (laser cut aluminum). Other than printed parts, plates, and steel EMT tubes being different, the rest is the same, down to within a few screws difference.

1 Like

I suspect the new XZ plates to be one of the more settled parts of the design - iterating in aluminium being what it is.

They already changed once :crazy_face:

Diabolical!

1 Like

Well if you’re taking suggestions how about accessory mount trapped nut holes either side of the spindle for things like

Diode laser
Vinyl cutter
Vac hose
Misting hose
Work light
Diamond engraver
Pen
Finger painting brush
Z height probe
3D printing extruder
Pic n place vac nozzle

:eyes:

4 Likes

well…we did make some changes here. So far I think it is for the best, less spare tool holes this time though. Can’t make is smaller and have more room at the same time.

4 Likes

Now they changed twice… :joy:

2 Likes

Fair enough, if it can be accommodated in the envelope of the existing new core that would be a plus. For dust extraction above all.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing it! Haven’t been on for a while so looks like I didn’t have access to lounge any more :frowning:

With the LR2 and now the LR3 it always seems like my main issues are with the Z axis binding/requiring a lot more power to move up, even with cleaned and lubed screws. Was super careful with the LR3 build but after storing it for a bit and reassembling, my Z axis was binding up and had to bump up motor power just to home. I see the “swolerider” videos and wonder why I barely have enough power to home Z, and even skip steps, unless I push the amps way higher.

Instead of dismantling my Z’s maybe I’ll wait a bit and start fresh yet again! Beta cuts on YouTube look nice!

2 Likes

I have to run higher Z amps for my LR3 because of how heavy the beam is. That shouldn’t be an issue on this one anymore. You will be able to get “Fancy Parts” from Ryan that are printed in a much stiffer material with a Much higher temp rating. Then no worry about the stepper getting a little warm!

1 Like

I have a feeling most people had a binding z stub issue, I fixed that on the LR4. If the stub was not exactly perfect, the LR3 binds at the bottom.

7 Likes

Oh I didn’t have anything in mind, just often new iterations of things go in with goals in mind, pretty happy with the LR3. Only things I’ve modded was a stationary control board and Doug’s raceway/drag chain system. Really thankful what you and the testers have been doing!

1 Like

Ryan, how about closed loop steppers for the LR4? Love the LR3 btw.

Which ones and what are you trying to solve with the added complexity vs tmc2209 coolstep drivers and the current steppers?

One thing I would like to see in the LR4 is the Y rail moved/added on the left side with the X limit switch, since most work starts on the left corner.
The right rail can be kept, but made to float (not screwed to table) so it can self align.
I think this would make the whole machine a lot more stable, I have noticed that the left side shakes and moves around a lot more then the right side when doing fast Y movements.

I would love to see a lot more pictures of the LR4, the videos so far are great, I do like the new design of the X rail and new router mount, it looks a lot more solid.

That is just a, where you stand, preference

0,0 is always lower left, where you load your material from is preference. I have to choose one side to save room I am keeping the convention we have had on every LR.

6 Likes