Status on Lowrider 4

When I.built.the LR3, hpgraded from.an LR2, I was amazed.at the.improvements there. By comparison, the 4 feels like a more incremental upgrade, finishing the things that the LR3 started. It certainly looks more like a finished product, and many of the little things that weren’t quite perfect with the 3 have been addressed. Now we’re down to some things that looked better in theory, and seeing if they’re really better in practice. They’re still very good, but if they can be better, why not go for that?

7 Likes

love how the left side is flush to prevent dust accumulation underneath

3 Likes

what are the qualifications?

I believe it’s level 3

3 Likes

I know its completely different and one does not mean the other will match, but curiosity is getting the better of me.

Does anyone remember the length of the beta phase for the LR2 to LR3?

Again I know one does not equal the other. Just curious.

This is taking significantly longer and taking a lot more work.

6 Likes

I know everyone on this site appreciates your efforts. Idk why you do it but I’m all for it! I feel guilty putting an order in on the website for a couple bits cause it takes away from everything else you’re doing! :laughing:

I was just curious. When I look at the difference between the LR2 and the LR3 it seems absolutely substantial. Makes me excited for the LR4 even more!

5 Likes

Because Ryan’s gotta eat. :smiley:

7 Likes

I don’t think you need to feel guilty one bit for that. Be glad your making a contribution to keeping Ryan’s bills paid and food on the table while he is creating these awesome machines for us!!

6 Likes

@Tokoloshe I consider you to be an expert in cutting hardwood. What rates are you getting from LR4 pre-release in hardwood cuts?

I feel like the 50mm/sec cut was solid, not a major risk, and there could be more speed available, but I’m not as expert in what to listen for, etc.

1 Like

I really din’t try yet. With the LR3 I did 2000mm/min, 6mm DOC with a 2-flute. That was really the best I could do without too much deflection.

2 Likes

Did you mean 2000mm/min or 2000mm/sec?

Does it seem good to you that my recent test (in either Alder or Poplar, not sure) was 50mm/sec, 12mm DOC with a 1-flute?

3 Likes

Yes, definitely. And the box closed! That’s the ultimate test. :smile:

1 Like

The LR3 beta wasn’t much different from the released model. It changed from having the same skate wheels as the LR2 to just the bearing wheels (mine still has the skate wheels.) The first model was proposed to use 1/2" conduit as X and Y rails both. I am still using the 1/2" conduit Y rail, but the X rails weren’t rigid enough, so it was updated to the same choices as the Primo, 3/4" conduit, 25mm tube and 25.4mm tube.

Anyway, a pretty quick process.

The LR4 has undergone larger changes than that between iterations, though tube size hasn’t been one of them. Large scale re-printing has been a big one.

Pretty sure Ryan feels that it’s close, but the beta team is a bit of a fractious and vexatious lot, and it was “close” in the last 2 iterations.

A third release candidate is in progress, but only Ryan has it so far… or at least I haven’t seen it yet.

1 Like

Interesting to kind of pull back the curtain and see what “looks” to be big changes vs what actually is.

Also,

Had to google that one! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

The regulars have to spend a lot of time here. There is a thread we can see with details but not everyone in the regulars is building the V4. I assume most (if not all) of the info being stored there will be in a LR4 builds section once it is released.

Honestly, it is fun but you aren’t missing much and we are a very open community. We stay a little quiet when it comes to new releases because people get a little nervous when a new version is on the horizon and that hurts progress on the current version.

Please, don’t have FOMO and don’t delay building a machine because of what might happen in the future. This active open progress is part of the deal here and the result is sometimes getting too much information.

11 Likes

Gotcha. I already built an LR3 definitely no FOMO just wanna see the progress on that project

5 Likes

I can appreciate this; I’ve been planning to build a LR(3/4) in the fall for some larger projects.

I actually don’t have any real preference. I assume the LR3 is more than powerful and precise enough for my needs having seen what the community here accomplishes with it. But given that I’ve already disassembled my Primo, I have no way to cut the flat parts and figured buying them would be a good way to support the project and community.

However, it seems plates are all out of stock with a note that LR4 is in testing. Am I correct in assuming that’s a nudge to just wait it out?

2 Likes

If you haven’t printed any parts yet for the LR3 and are a bit (or a bit more, depending on what is going to change) patient, you can jut wait it out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah the YZ and XZ plates are out of stock. HOpefully the LR4 comes out soon enough not to need to makre more.

4 Likes