Smoking Meat

Well… that’s efficient.

If you hit the bent arrow on a message, it refers to that post. I tried quoting an entire message, and the helpful ‘system’ user went ahead and changed it to just being a reply.

1 Like

The bent arrow isn’t working for me.

Well, it doesn’t quote the previous post, but if you notice, your reply shows up as not only a separate post, but as part of the drop-downs of replies on the original post.

edit: although this one isn’t doing that… Odd… Maybe because it’s directly following the post being replied to?

Maybe a reply after an interstitial reply will trigger the pull-down…

edit: Yes! Although I had to reload the page… So, the system is smart enough to let a reply just sit if it’s a reply to the immediately preceding post, but if there’s a post between it and the post being replied to, it will add linkages in to both the reply (see the reply notice in the corner of this post) and the original (see the pull-down in the original).

I must be related to your wives. I always quickly start the dishwasher because otherwise, my wife will rearrange everything.

My complaint is that we will have a pile of dishes above the dishwasher and the dishwasher won’t be started because there is a small space, waiting for the perfect dish. I just check the dishwasher before I go to bed.

That’s usually my fault, because we’ll have used dozens of glasses and bowls (that all go on the upper shelf), and only two plates. I have a physiological issue with running a half-full dishwasher. I am getting treatment for this condition. It appears to involve eye-rolling, sighs, and sarcastic comments.

Well, that’s cool! Click on the down-chevron in the quote box… Which explains why a full-quote turns into a simple reply…

What do you use to bag up the meat? Does a ziplock work or is a vac bag contraption needed?

Given the thermal insulating properties of air, I’m guessing you really want a vacuum contraption (there seems to be a lot of manual systems available for SV applications). But ziplocks should work, if you can be sure that all the air is above the waterline when you’re cooking. FWIW, I’ve also seen some SV weights that could be handy for the bottom of a bag to keep it from floating up.

Sample SV Vacuum bags

Sample SV weights

edit: These are just results from Amazon searches, not recommendations.

Modern dishwashers do just fine with putting bowls on the bottom rack. Most of them have separate spray nozzles for the top racks now meaning you no longer have to adhere to the ‘vertical on bottom’ rule. Really. You should try it.

1 Like

Oh, I know, and sometimes I do, but I usually leave the bottom for plates and pot & pans. If we have a preponderance of plastics, glassware, or a dearth of pot & pans, I’ll put the bowls on the bottom.

But the plates should always start on the side away from the utensil rack. First, it keeps the knives from knocking against the plates, and second, there’s more room away from the upper sprayer contraption.

Yeah. I’m the same.

Our utensil rack has the little slots that keeps them from bouncing around inside the rack.

Then on the far left, it’s the cookie sheet first, then big plates, medium plates, small plates. I don’t put pots and pans in the dishwasher. Our Bosch has the third rack on the top where all the tongs, big spoons, and spatulas go.

What’s wrong with the plates by the utensils?

Is there a badge for “most off topic picture”?

2 Likes

There’s so much wrong with that loaded machine than I care to discuss…

1 Like

Kind of glad my work firewall seems to be blocking cdn images… :exploding_head:

Maybe you could write a tutorial on the new docs.

Or should I open a troubleshooting topic?

2 Likes

I have that same dishwasher! That knife holder on the left only seems to fit tiny knives, bummer. A regular knife hits the top rack.

I actually read the manual for loading the dishwasher because of how much we have discussions about loading it. They have all sorts of “ideal” loading but basically if it is facing down enough not to hold water you are doing it right. At least with this model. I have some really crappy ones that needed a solid strategy.

“Honey, just follow this link.” “SEE, I told you I was right!” Followed by…Sleeping on the couch

Ziplocks are fine, and pretty easy to use since you already have a vat of water to drive out all the air. A vac bagger is cool/faster if you buy in bulk. I am lazy so If I am going to make a mess and prep meat I will do a bunch at once and freeze it. Well usually on goes into he bath, one in the fridge for a few days later and the rest in the freezer.

There is also another option to start a new thread, if it gets too far off the rails. Share, new topic. So many things!

1 Like

My only real complaint would be the plates. Should figure out how to keep them from touching.

As long as the dishes are clean, I don’t care how it’s loaded. I have a samsung washer too, and it has those nifty silverware slots, so they can’t bounce off each other or other dishes. Big knives go up on the top drawer, but not all washers have one of those.

I’m also one of those people that will put dirty dishes back for another round, or ten. Either the food will come off, or the dish will dissolve, whichever comes first!

1 Like